i need support: Candida Diet

Options
I have a candida infection in my skin :( I got it January 10th while out of town for work. I have a history of getting it from eating too much gluten or dairy so I often say i have a gluten and dairy allergy, but really it's a candida infection.

Anyways, January 11th I figure out what it is, so I give up gluten and dairy and cut waaaay back on my sugar. Six weeks later, I still have the infection. So I fast for three days and then do three weeks of the strict candida diet which is super SUPER HARD particularly if you are a vegetarian (Like me) and don't eat dairy.

www.candidadiet.com <--that's where you can see the list of foods I could eat.

Anywyas, three weeks of that, and still the rash isn't gone!

So I decide that I have to get off "The Pill" because that can cause it and one day off the pill and there's marked improvement. So what do I do? I start eating everything in sight again. Two days of that and the rash is back!

Ok. So clearly I need to be off the Pill AND eating the candida diet....so here I have to go again with the strict limitations on my diet...

And yes, I know this isn't the end of the world- it's certainly not life threatening but its really frustrating none-the-less....

I am not gonna complain about this to my loved ones who have already witnessed me struggle with this diet for the last three weeks (or more)....but I could definitlely use some support because it's really REALLY difficult to live off of quinoa and green veggies and rice cakes and almond butter for a few days, not to mention a few weeks.

also, if anyone knows anything about this stuff, I am open to advice.

So just shout a few "you can do it" 's and a few doses of "YOU GOT THIS" and that would certainly help :)

muchas gracias!

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Fine! I'll do it!

GO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Have you put Candida diet in the message board search to seek out other members with similar issues? Might be a good start. There's also a group that needs membership called "Candida Must Die". Check it out :smile:
  • apucci
    apucci Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I go through this about 6+ times a year

I've never had the skin infection, so I don't know much about that kind of candida.... but can you get a prescription for something like Diflucan? Were you on antibiotics?

Whenever I am prescribed antibiotics I automatically ask for the Diflucan because I know it's only a matter of time before there is a candida infection.

I know that you said you are vegetarian, but do you ever eat yogurt? I started eating a Greek yogurt about 5/week (This is the only dairy I try to eat because it is really low in lactose...which my body has a hard time processing) but it really seems to help control the candida. (Although, if I eat too much I have the same problem.)

Anyways, there is soy yogurt, and I think they add the live cultures to most brands... that's really what you need to help regulate your body's candida.

Good luck! It will all be better sooner or later! :)
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    YOu can do it. You will feel so much better when you do. It's ruff, but somethings telling me that it will be worth it.
  • Naominjw
    Naominjw Posts: 8
    Options
    I had that for years - ended up with 5 big spots. I tried every OTC ointment sold in the city. I was on Atkins Diet - no sugar, ultra low carbs, and no gluten or dairy (I have several food allergies). I KNEW I had a systemic yeast infection. I was on probiotics and prebiotics, and otc anti-candidals for months at a time. I went to a different doctor who sent me for blood work. I had no idea Quest labs - covered by insurance - had a blood test for systemic yeast infections. I FINALLY got all the yeast cleared up but only after 2 months of fluconozole (prescription) was added, plus a prescription ointment.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can do it! (honestly!)This: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-antifungal-diet.htm is pretty much all I know about the diet (yes, I did write that article) So all I can really suggest is to maybe ask your Dr about more advice on keeping up with the diet in a healty manner while still trying to lose the weight. Maybe he can prescribe something to help speed it up if he hasnt already :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    thanks peeps!!!

I did see a doctor and did take a prescription anti-fungal to no avail :( I also don't bother with creams because they have never worked before when I have had this. I do make my own salve with tea tree oil and other goodies that I put on it- mostly to keep it from drying out, but tea tree is an antifungal too.

I haven't been on antibiotics in a long time. For me it's really a combination of hormonal imbalance with too much gluten/dairy. I do eat yogurt! I was having lots of amande (almond milk) and coconut milk yogurt for the last three weeks. I also take probiotics daily, and was taking anti-fungal herbal mixture daily (garlic, caprilic acid, tea tree and paudarco) for the last three weeks.

As of today, I'm trying low sugar, gluten and dairy free (again) and see how that goes when I'm off the pill. Heaven help me, it better work!

also, I have looked in the forums...there's not too much there that's helpful....so far.

Again, thanks!
    I just wanna hear "You can do it" a few more times! And also I wnat this infection to go away before bikini season. For reals!
  • gregorytwin
    gregorytwin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi

i too am on the candida diet. i was good for 3 weeks and saw great results but then had a number of birthdays and meals already booked so fell off the wagon. I am now back on it again but I feel your pain. I too am vegetarian and have an intolerance to dairy and eggs are off the menu (which is usually the vege suggestions).

My reason for this is terrible problems with my stomach and sudden weight gain (3 stone) several years ago and no success with shifting it despite exercise. Two weeks on this diet and I lost 8 pounds. I am hoping that as well as sorting out my stomach problems, lack of energy etc, that this diet will help me lose and keep off the weight.

I have done extensive research online on this and am so frustrated with the conflicting information. I think you can only do 'trial and error' in the end as to what works for you.

I think coming off the pill will help.

I have found the conflicting information about brown rice very confusing, there were as many websites saying include it as there were saying cut it out.

What I am doing is cutting out brown rice for at least 3-4 weeks and then slowly reintroducing it after. I find my food is a bit repetitive but after the first week or two i find I really start to enjoy the flavours.

The main meals I have are:

Vegetable stir fry - allowed vegetables and I use garlic, olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon and lime to flavour with fresh coriander and basil. Its delicious and if you ensure the veg is al dente then it is quite filling. I haven't used Tofu in this as I found too much conflicting info on it.

Roasted veg - anything thats allowed and lots of it to fill you up.

vegetable burgers - blend sunflower seeds, with pepper, onion and any other allowed veg you fancy. Shape into burgers, leave in fridge to cool. As the texture is a bit crumbly I fry it off quickly and then oven bake. It is crumbly but I find it a tasty mid afternoon snack or light dinner.

Breakfast was difficult but then I discovered Oat Bran and started having this with coconut milk or almond milk and sweeten it with stevia. I'm not going to lie and say its lovely because it isn't but its filling and it tastes ok.

I also started making oat bran muffins with this but the only downside is you need an egg, but if you're ok with eggs then you could make these using sunflower oil, oat bran, stevia and egg. i usually flavour with cinnemon. I have these only occasionally now (due to the egg intolerance). When you get to the stage of being able to have some fruit you could also add these to the muffins, that would be tasty.

For snacks I usually make guacamole and you could have this with veg to dip. I have cheated a little with this and allowed some brown rice cakes but I have not had any issue with this (again its trial and error) and it may be because its such a small amount. I also have guacamole with the burgers and thats really tasty.

I have also been ok with greek yogurt on occasion which is odd given my intolerance, but it seems to cope well with this.

I intend to make some rhubard ice cream with coconut milk and stevia. not quite sure yet how that will turn out!

I think the hardest part is getting into the habit of not thinking about meal times as being breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It is really really difficult but I felt so good when I was on it and even going off the rails for a bit, I still didn't eat bad food. I no longer have any sugar cravings or cravings for pizza or alcohol which is great.

My intention is to stay on this in some form for life. once i get back to the stage where I reintroduce brown rice it will be fine, as I always had brown rice or brown rice pasta.

I hope that helps start you off. It is difficult being vege on this diet.
  • gregorytwin
    gregorytwin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh and i also discovered celeriac. i absolutely hate celery but celeriac chips with guacamole i love!
  • masc64
    masc64 Posts: 1
    Options
    You're probably feeling 100% by now, but I have some advice based upon your initial post:

1. You can kill candida in the gut, which will kill it on the skin, but it lives in HAIR as well. So if your yeast infection is someplace where hair grows you have 2 options. First, you can shave off all the hair. And you need to shave it again in a week to be sure, because yeast can live in the follicle and it isn't killed there by killing candida in the gut. OR, you can get a cream from the dermatologist, use Lotrimin or apply Tea Tree Oil to the hair in the infected areas. You must do this for 10-14 days to be sure you've killed the yeast on the hair.

2. You named several starches such as rice cakes and others in your candida diet. I realize you are vegetarian, but the starches feed the yeast. And it is really important to get live bacteria into your gut to prevent future problems. Consider consuming a good quality Kefir for the duration of your treatment. Or find a recipe to make yogurt or Kefir from Almond or Hemp milk. As a last-ditch option, use Probiotic Pearls or Fivelac since these are both proven to deliver the proper bacteria to the gut where it is needed.

3. Last, there is a supplement called Candex that works very, very well. It acts by breaking down the walls of the yeast cells so they can be digested. It is available at health food stores, Whole Foods and at Amazon.com Caution, though - Candex is most effective when taken at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. It should not be taken with food. I usually take it at bedtime, then again in the mid afternoon during an outbreak.

Good luck!
  • ericcooper
    Options
    Hi, I have same Problem like you I got solution from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9Zp1n4_GA
    or you go through http://www.brendawatson.com/
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    I have been researching this topic at the library for my son. It is not easy but YES-YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO THIS!!!!
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am just about to start the Candida diet & Just buying some of the items & i have started another list on things i have missed.
    I was wondering if i opened a candida group would you all like to join?
    I think it will help alot as on the candida web site there is no group to chat about how things are going (i mean on here i have found everyone suportive & willing to chat if there having good/bad day if that makes sence)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a doctor to get something. Rashes can be a variety of things from an actual infection to yeast infections. I know that a good sulfur soap sometimes helps. You rub the soap on and leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse. It may seem minor but it does make a difference. Some women even take fungal treatments like foot treatments (powders) and use that to help get rid of it. I discovered that using any sort of corn start on the chest will usually make it worse. Avoid those if it's in the chest area. If you can deal with it (wear a t-shirt you don't care gets dirty), use a baby ointment with zinc in it - the strongest you can find. Zinc heals the skin and should help. I would still go the doctor route so they can test and figure out what it actually is as there are some problems out there that are not yeast related. For example, there's a skin version of TB that you can catch from fish if you have aquariums. If you have aquariums, mention it to the doctor. Also, there are other infections too that can spread and even some skin issues that aren't infections but reactivation of the Herpes virus called Shingles. That one you need to catch right away as it does nerve damage. Honestly, your best bet is to make an appointment with a dermatologist to make sure you don't wait on some of those.

I hope all goes well.
  • Iulai5859
    Options
    Hi everyone.

So I have been suffering from a rash on my hands for a little over a year now and they are slowly starting to get better. I got diagnosed with Candida and so I have been on a all veggie and meat diet. I recently found out that there is brown rice pasta out there so I've been making pastas- this helps me get through the diet because I don't feel as limited.

Anyways, I really wanted to share what I have been doing.

Food: sticking to the strict diet. LOTS OF GREENS

Drinks: Water, Echinacea tea, Pau D'Arco tea, tablespoon of Coconut oil (every morning), tablespoon of Omega 369 (every morning)

Supplements: Natures Way- Optima Womans probiotics (1 in the morning), Rainbow Light- Advanced Enzyme System (3 times a day), Solaray- Yeast-Cleanse (6 times a day)

Topical: Tea Tree Oil (will dry skin a bit so you must apply something else over it. I've been using Puremedy- fungus free (www.puremedy.com) this is really greasy so it is perfect to use at home, but when I go out I use Weleda- Skin food. When I get a urge to itch I apply a mixture of Colloidal Silver Plus and Vitality Works- Candida Rescue. This really helps because it stings your open wounds for a second.

Soaks: Today is August 30th- last night I started a yogurt soak which seemed to make my hands a lot better. Here's what I made (Neem oil, tea tree oil, Pau D'Arco Tea, spoon full of Coconut oil and Omega 369, and lastly the yogurt.)

Neurological: relax and breath. !!! I think this is a key factor. Look for every opportunity to close your eyes and just sit down. I am a very anxious and high stress person, but this past week I have been trying to practice "rewarding myself" and just constantly telling myself to relax and breath. Breathing makes such a huge difference. (Deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth)

I've spent hundreds of dollars on a bunch of different creams and supplements. I think I found a good mixture.

OH AND ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING: DONT TOUCH WATER as much as you can. Use gloves: Ideally cloth gloved with ribber gloves over. Your hands need to breath. I've been using plastic gloves for now until my hands close up.

Hang in there everyone.