It Was Painful :(

Options

Replies

• AmandaJane523
    Options
    Be proud of yourself!

Yoga (at home via book or video, not in a class, so you don't feel uncomfortable) is my recommendation. You can go at your own base and will start building muscle slowly.
  • toniandrws
    toniandrws Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch really well before starting. I found that this helps with the cramping.
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    Hello Aryel,

Summer 2011 I was immobile, in a wheelchair. November 2011 I had spinal surgery. January 2012 I started to walk again, very, very slowly and painfully (began with a walking frame then double crutches, then single crutch - now nothing needed!)

It is an uphill struggle, the path may be peppered with tears and frustration, but please don't give up. Treat every walk, no matter how long, as a success.

Today...I walked 10500 steps, did 24 mins on a twist stepper and began abdominal crunches - it CAN be done.

Best of luck to your continued motivation and success :happy:
    Feel free to add me (my dairy is open and I'm on 335 days on MFP with 40 lbs weight loss)

Good luck, Wendy
  • elliebator
    Options
    Hurrah for you!!! You started!! I think you should cut back to ten minutes and do ten minutes for a week, then add two mins every week. You WILL start to feel better and after a while, you'll start to look forward to your walk time!!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just started 3 months ago. Both my knees hurt almost all the time, but at the time I was 327 lbs. My legs felt so heavy and my gait was totally not normal. The path I walk is almost 3 miles... it's a mile and a half up and then you have to turn around and come back... coming back was horrible. My feet hurt and felt numb and I was really in a lot of pain and hobbling, but I was determined and I did it.

Today 3 months later, I've lost about 30 lbs. My gait is so much better and I've even started jogging some (just started the C25K). My knees still bother me sometime, but I feel lighter, a much better spring in my step, and my legs don't have that heavy sluggish feeling. Your body is amazing and it will adjust... just stick with it. You'll be glad you did.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! Just take your time, slowly increasing distance or speed. Avoid setting unrealistic goals, and you will succeed! You have already taken that first step, and remember..."No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"! Good Luck!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: honey, you're gonna have a hell of a success story when you reach your goal!!! You should really print out your post here and save it. If you keep walking just a little more each week and eating healthy, you're going to look back and be so impressed with how far you've come. :)
  • summerlancaster
    Options
    Consider ordering a Richard Simmons video or 2 off Amazon. He is over-the-top, cheesey, sparkly, etc... But when I started at 272 (50+ lbs ago), that's all I could do... Even for 15 minutes. Eventually, the video wasn't enough & I moved on the the gym. But, it's a place to start for sure. And I'm with you -- I hate sweating, being out of breath, etc., but dancing just seems more fun!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Dude hysterectomy is no light thing. You need to cut yourself some slack and just go at it from here. You can definitely build yourself up and get healthier, but be patient with yourself and take good care of yourself, do what you can, and push yourself a little more each day. God bless <3
  • alix1105
    alix1105 Posts: 80
    Options
    You can do it! stay positive and stick with it! feel free to add me!! you got this, it's just all about being determined, motivated and sticking with it in moderation!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    welcome! Half the battle is showing up and u r here :)

Start slow and make lil challenges every week for YOU! Like add More water, then more veggies. Schedule your walks until it is routine.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up hon! I agree with everyone about taking it slow. 6 weeks is the standard recovery time, but everyone is different. Listen to your body right now. Doc may say it's ok, but he/she does not know what you are feeling. Give yourself time to heal all the way. If you can only walk 5 minutes, then so be it. If you can't do it at all yet, then that is fine too.
    Everyone does this at their own pace, what they can do/when they can do it. Don't judge yourself on what you think you should be able to do. When you are ready, just see what you CAN do. Will be rooting for you!!!
    P.S.......Pretty sure it is going to suck whenever you start (at least it did for me), so just celebrate that you got out there!
  • Dannosjourneytofit
    Dannosjourneytofit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I started my journey at 294 I am now around 275. Still bigger than you. Just start slow, thats how I did it. Just keep going!!
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    There are simply no words I can type that will convey how wonderful you all are. The motivation and support on this website are next to none- reading all of your words were so inspiring that you brought me to tears. I know this is going to be hard, and I'm so grateful I found this website.

T H A N K Y O U V E R Y M U C H! From the bottom of my heart.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yes I did at first...but with determination you can do a lot more than you think...sweating is no fun, but it's how you get it done. I always try to remember that I run and exercise not only for my sanity and health but to show my kids and husband a good example...I run to keep cancer away for as long as possible (cancer Survivor) to keep my sanity, and to feel Great...exercise does all these things and more...I too had a hysterectomy and know where your coming from...you will heal and be better than ever, you just need to believe in yourself.

You can do it! Remember that no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do not be disappointed with yourself - be happy - you have just got over major surgery, you got out and did some walking - every journey starts with a few small steps - you have now started and it can only get better. Just take small steps each day and they will all add up to giant strides. You've done well - congratulate yourself. Just build it up a bit at a time and before you know it you will be looking back on today and thinking how far you have come. Best of luck with your journey - xx :-)
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Just keep going!
    I remember my first week at the gym.. I started to use the elliptical and I wanted to die on the spot after a couple min! lol
    You will notice a diff very soon, just stick to it. Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Some of the people on here i've seen lose the most weight started walking very little at first then adding more time etc. Just remember, you may not be fast but you are STILL lapping everyone on the couch :wink: Feel free to add me if you'd like some support, i started jan 10th at 245 pounds and i've lost a little over 17 so far... you can do this!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Great for you, no not the pain part, sorry for that, but you are taking a big step getting out there today! One foot infront of the other. ok sometimes i sing this to myself in my head. You can do it and i know how proud you are of yourself right now! keep up the great work~!
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should feel great about getting started! I used to get winded walking up stairs- just one flight- SLOWLY! It was terrible. I am still way out of shape but things are getting better. The best thing I did was ask my husband for help. I wanted to give up, I was miserable doing it alone. Now we walk together several days a week and often take the kids. This weekend I walked two miles in the woods up and down and up the hills again and again. The walks are much better with company. So my advice is:

A. Grab a walking buddy
    B. Go online or buy a local book on trails in your area- they are much more interesting than the mall of the same boring trail.
    C. Get creative- there are many walking tours in my area- cemetery- ghost tours- bar tours- garden tours
    D. Look for a trail club- we have several in our area that have guided hikes every Saturday.
    E. Get some great music for those days when you are alone-

Now I actually look forward to walking most days (some days I am still forcing myself out the door) but I can't tell you how much better I feel.

Good Luck