Weight loss goal not calculating correctly...

Options
I have my weight loss goal set to "lose 2 lbs a week". I pretty much am on target calorie wise every week (some days if I go over, I eat less the next day).

I noticed that when you click on the 'Complete this diary' it says "If you keep eating like this, you will weigh X in 5 weeks!" I thought the numbers were kinda high, and calculated, it has me only losing ½ lb a week.

If i have it set at 2lbs a week, and am within my calories, why would I only lose ½ lb a week? Is it because I don't have that much to lose?

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    The minimum goal it will give you is 1200, so if 2 lbs per week would put you under that, it will default to 1200.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    bump
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The minimum goal it will give you is 1200, so if 2 lbs per week would put you under that, it will default to 1200.

yup. You probably don't have enough extra calories to spare to actually lose 2 pounds a week...
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Because MFP will never give you a calorie intake of less than 1200.

So, even when you choose 2lbs a week it will not give you a the calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day if that brings you under the 1200 mark, .it will just automatically default to 1200 calories.
  • tyrtill
    tyrtill Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your set to sedentary and don't weigh very much then it might set you to the minimum calorie goal of 1200 which may only be 1/2 per week

EDIT:O dear I'm a slow typer
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have my weight loss goal set to "lose 2 lbs a week". I pretty much am on target calorie wise every week (some days if I go over, I eat less the next day).

I noticed that when you click on the 'Complete this diary' it says "If you keep eating like this, you will weigh X in 5 weeks!" I thought the numbers were kinda high, and calculated, it has me only losing ½ lb a week.

If i have it set at 2lbs a week, and am within my calories, why would I only lose ½ lb a week? Is it because I don't have that much to lose?

recheck your figures,

Go to Home - Goals
    and on the right hand side it will show you your current deficit and projected weight loss.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

recheck your figures,

Go to Home - Goals
    and on the right hand side it will show you your current deficit and projected weight loss.

bah! Projected weight loss 0.8lbs/week
    maybe I should do more housework so I can lose more a little faster...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

recheck your figures,

Go to Home - Goals

bah! Projected weight loss 0.8lbs/week
    maybe I should do more housework so I can lose more a little faster...

How much do you want to lose in total?
  • WickedGarden
    Options

25-30 lbs. I workout with P90x 6x a week. I know I'm supposed to lose weight in Phase 3, which I just started.
    I'm really impatient! (ok, honestly, I've seen people who lost 30 lbs in less than 3 months, it gets discouraging)

I've gone down in clothing sizes, but the muffin top just hangs on...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

25-30 lbs. I workout with P90x 6x a week. I know I'm supposed to lose weight in Phase 3, which I just started.
    I'm really impatient! (ok, honestly, I've seen people who lost 30 lbs in less than 3 months, it gets discouraging)

I've gone down in clothing sizes, but the muffin top just hangs on...

Most of the people losing 30 lbs in 3 months have a significant amount of weight to lose. When you are closer to your goal weight, it comes off more slowly.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it helps but thats exactly what MFP did for me. And I only had 25-30lbs to lose too.

I started at .8lb/week (since thats all it would let me do) and it had me at 1200.

I've been very happy with my losses and its taken me six months to lose 25lbs. And that is consistent losses with no gains.

I think it takes longer when you are closer to your goal. I now want to lose 8 more pounds (and that puts me close to the low end of a healthy weight for my height).

People who are losing 30lbs in three months tend to have a lot more to lose. Don't let that get to you! You can do this :)
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The most MFP would let me lose a week healthily was 0.8 also.
    It's taken me over a year to get to my goal
    Remember - it's the long term that matters.
    Losing quickly isn't always healthy! :)
  • WickedGarden
    Options
    Most of the people losing 30 lbs in 3 months have a significant amount of weight to lose. When you are closer to your goal weight, it comes off more slowly.

5lbs lost in the first week and then I gained it back, and then it came off all in one week 2-3 weeks ago, then 2 lbs came off last week, and then I gained back 3 lbs (that could be water weight).

When I weigh, randomly one day I will see a new low weight and get excited, then I gain it back, and then randomly it will come back off with another pound in a few weeks. It's driving me crazy!