What are YOUR symptoms of dehydration?

Options
Now I know I can always google this, and get a million websites. But I want to know what have you personally exprienced when you get dehydrated? I want to hear from MFP who are one the same journey as I am.

Replies

• phillieschic
    Options
    Bright yellow pee. LOL...gross, but true! :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Yup. Mountain Dew-colored urine and dry mouth.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thirst lol

Following a recent nasty bout of food poisoning I found my cognitive reasoning worryingly impaired at about day 5. This went away following half a day of isotonic drinks
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    Dry lips, dry mouth, little or no pee, lethargy and headaches. Dehydration = not fun.
  • ahersh00
    ahersh00 Posts: 85
    Options
    Headaches!!!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    headache that doesn't quit
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Feeling dizzy or lightheaded.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Headache. I can't really describe it with typing...but I can definately tell the difference between any other kind of headache and one that coming on due to dehydration. And, if I ignore it...it turns into a full blown migraine so I've learned NOT to ignore it. =D
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Cracked lips and and a bout of super-irritation followed by a migraine-like headache.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I get all light-headed and start seeing spots. Also, there's cotton mouth, not to mention I feel incredibly exhausted.
  • mdof
    mdof Posts: 6
    Options
    head ache, grumpy. and tired
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I get a headache, dark pee and sometimes I feel sick to my stomach. When I start getting sick to my stomach I can usually drink some water and I feel better. Also, if I wake up thirsty in the middle of the night, it is usually because I did not drink enough water during the day or after my workout.
  • FeelTheBurn73
    Options
    When I am truly dehydrated...it is obvious. That is also the point when it is severe enough to be dangerous.

Trust me, I live in Texas and have done 5 mile runs in over 100 degrees (BAD idea 99% of the time). It will feel difficult to urinate and it will be a dark yellow/orange color. My muscle coordination will be off and I won't be able to complete a workout. If I had eaten recently enough, I will throw it up x.x The worst ever was when I was running on levees during a HEAT ADVISORY (dumb, i know) and I fell. When I looked at my legs, it looked like the skin on my leg was swirling in a spiral. Never ever let it get to that point!!!

For ME, Early signs can include muscle weakness, headaches, dry eyes.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Dry mouth, headaches, celery-smelling urine, and halitosis. Yum, huh?
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Weakness and fatigue. One time I passed out (years ago). Didn't know I was dehydrated until the ER doctor told me. I had no other symptoms that time.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    If I pinch the skin on the back of my hand and it doesn't spring back immediately, I'm dehydrated.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I get headaches like there's no tomorrow, bright pee, and I get grouchy.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Headache, vision spots, dry mouth and dark yellow pee.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I get lethargic and grouchy and get a really bad headache. It's the worst! Unfortunately I don't realise I'm thirsty until it's too late, and drinking lots of water tends to make my headache worse!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    HUNGER (well, actually thirst disguised as hunger lol), lightheadness when standing, fatigue, irritability, spots, and the one that always makes me go "Duh, you're dehydrated!" Headache that rapidly progresses to a full blown migraine.

I'm getting better at drinking regularly and noticing the earlier symptoms.