Running Shoes?

Options
I've been running on the treadmill for a good portion of my exercise routine and I have shin splints (again).

Keep being told that I need good running shoes - for any of the runners out there, can you recommend a pair of good women's running shoes that aren't going to drain my bank account?

Replies

• christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too!! I too suffer from shin splints so haven't been able to run for 2 weeks now!!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just read the 2012 shoe review in Runners World magazine and it said that Brooks Pure Flow was the best shoe for the money at $90. Hope that helps you.
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love asics, but i overpronate, so i need special support- im not a runner, i just need good quality shoes- i recommend going and trying som on at a local store or running room, finding the style and size that fits you best ( get model number if you can ) and then buying off amazon- you can save like half!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Seek professional advice from your local running store... .specifically, get fitted for the pair best suited for your individual foot and gait. Asking for other people's favorite shoe is akin to asking which football team they prefer... you'll get a ton of answers, with none that may suit you best. :flowerforyou:
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I went to a professional running store for the first time last week. They were able to help me pick out a shoe that felt extremely comfortable, but they didn't have it in the color I wanted, so I haven't gotten them yet. It is the Mizuno Inspire 8.
    The one thing I learned from going to the store is that different shoes work well with different people because of their foot and how they walk/run. So I recommend going to a running store and getting a consultation if you can.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Seek professional advice from your local running store... .specifically, get fitted for the pair best suited for your individual foot and gait. Asking for other people's favorite shoe is akin to asking which football team they prefer... you'll get a ton of answers, with none that may suit you best. :flowerforyou:

This is the answer.
  • TiaUti
    TiaUti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Trail Addict...when I need new running shoes, I head to my local running store. Sure, they may not have discount shoes, but the last thing you want is a foot problem, shin splints, knee or hip pain, etc. The shoes (and a good bra) are the only equipment you need for running, so it really is worth it to get the brand that works best for your feet. A good running store will watch you walk, look at your feet, and then give you several shoes to try on. They should let you run around the store or even outside to get a good feel for the fit. They will figure out if you pronate, suponate, etc. (basically look to see if your foot tends to lean in or out), and if you need extra arch support or cushioning. Trust me, it's worth it. I am a long-time runner (just did 13 miles on the treadmill), age 53, and I have absolutely no shin, knee, or hip pain.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone who said go to a pro-running store! it makes such a difference to be fitted for the right shoe *for you*
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, you need to get the shoes that are right for you and not anyone else.... and that might mean spending more than you want to.
    But, it's money well spent - having an injury costs a whole lot more than a new pair of shoes.

Here's a comparison for you:

Brooks Dyad shoes (any other running shoes that suit me are around the same price): $220

Hip flexor injury: physio visits x 5 $270, Rock tape: $25, pain, frustration and missing my half marathon that I'd trained for for 6 months: priceless!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options

^^^This. Your fitting will show you your gait, if you lean too far to either side, shoe size (it's usually about 1/2 a size larger than your normal shoe size). Go to a proper running store and not foot locker or some chain. They'll get your the shoe that works best for you.
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Not a runner but a walker and I have Etonic Minado ... I wear orthotics and they fit perfectly after taking out the insoles.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    another vote for the running shop route. I used to wear asics, as everyone said they were great shoes. I went to a running shop before Christmas, was fitted with a pair of brooks defyance 4s and the difference in my running experience is remarkable - so much less aching now.

Not dissing asics - I know lots of people love them. But the reality was the particular pair that I was wearing wasn't right for my foot and my gait.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Best advice above. :-)
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Would "my local running store" (I'll have to look for one) be able to help me with a general cross-training shoe, too, or do I need to go somewhere else?
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'll add one more vote to go to a running store and get the shoe analysis done, BUT...

1. Wear your running shoes for ONLY running - do not use them as everyday shoes
    2. Shin splints can be caused by things other than shoes such as pushing to hard on speed or increasing mileage too rapidly
    3. Change up your running surfaces - treadmill, trails, roads, etc.
    4. Build in at least one rest day (maybe two) per week
    5. Do post-running stretching
    6. I have *heard*, but cannot personally verify, that compression socks help somewhat

Greg
  • macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The running store it is, then. I was trying to avoid paying a zillion dollars but I'm really tired of shin splints and it totally screws up working out.

Thank you!!!
  • dol826
    dol826 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely get the right shoes. Also, shin splints can be caused by your calf muscles being too tight, leading you to lift your foot with the tibialis muscle when you stride. Make sure you are stretching your calf muscles every day. Adding more stretching and using orthotics in my shoes helped me get over the pain in my Tibialis Anterior muscle. I was getting ready to tape it with KT tape but I haven't needed to yet after incorporating those changes.

And if you can, get off the treadmill as much as possible. I found I got them more on the treadmill, maybe it affected my stride? I think this may have been just me, though, some people run almost exclusively on the treadmill.