My magic pill rant

Options
I posted this on FB tonight. I have many friends who are taking adapex (sp?) and ACE. If that's what they want, fine. But frankly I'm sick of watching them eat cheeseburgers, tacos, & pizza. Sure they are losing weight, but at what cost?

OK, fixing to hack some people off I know. To all of my friends FB or otherwise who are taking these magic pills to make you lose weight; what do you think is going to happen when you stop. If you do not change your lifestyle those pills are doing you no good. You might lose weight, but are you any healthier? It takes a lifestyle change to be healthy. When you stop taking the magic pill, and still eat the processed, packaged, and convenience foods what do you think is going to happen to the weight you lost? It's coming back!! You are not making yourself healthier by taking the magic pill and still eating the bad foods. No, I do not eat perfect every day, but I do love to eat! That is why I would rather spend my money on food, not the magic pill. To each his own, but I have lost 59 pounds, buying food, not pills. Yes, you can take you pill and eat a quarter pounder while I have my grilled chicken and steamed veggies and we can both lose weight, but I want to be healthy, not skinny and out of shape. Sorry, but I just had to let it go.

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    Or you can lose weight and still have an occasional cheeseburger, taco, and pizza AND not use "magic pills". Nothing wrong with moderation.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Or you can lose weight and still have an occasional cheeseburger, taco, and pizza AND not use "magic pills". Nothing wrong with moderation.

agreed, moderation. I do have an occassional splurge. These products scare me and what they do to your body. My step daughter is on the diet pill craze and it really scares me. But as I said, to each his own. They have their way, I have mine.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

agree with this...and definitely staying AWAY from any "magic" pills...
  • ochi79
    ochi79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Where can I buy these? lol jk
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Magic pills will never work in the long run. I know people like that too and they are just constantly complaining about their health and looking for the next easy way to look like a super model. It never comes. Hardwork and dedication are the only things that allow people to change their weight and their lives in a permanant way. It seems that people who take magic pills and try all of the fad diets are just lazy and will never see true results. Keep eating healthy and working hard, you have the right idea!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a friend, actually she just defriended me on facebook so I guess we are no longer friends and she swears she just can't lose weight unless she gets prescription diet pills. Then when she starts losing weight she starts telling people she doesn't know how she is losing it. It just must be stress. It drives me nuts! This will happen for about a year to a year and a half and then she slowly starts gaining it back and spends the next three years being fat and miserable and doesn't understand why.

I love being able to do it the right way! I love knowing that I worked my *kitten* off and I look damn good and I happy for you too for doing the same!
  • CaSome11
    CaSome11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right. No "quick fix" is going to last.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    In my experience taking Phentermine (Adipex) , they gave me mad energy and suppressed my appetite but you still have to watch what you eat. The purpose of them is really to make you not hungry and the energy is just a plus. They can be addictive and not for people with high blood pressure or heart problems. I loved them <3 They were/are awesome but I gained *some* of my weight back. Now I'm on the right track like another poster said...buying FOOD instead of the pills. To each his/her own. They work but you still have to work with them.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! short term fix only to come back with a vengeance!!
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    I feel you! In my town its herbalife. You supplement 2 meals a day, you buy their snack products, then eat dinner. Yeah they are losing gobs of weight and the promotion is they are giving you better nutrition than food will!!!! So I asked, "what happens when you hit goal weight and no longer need the weight loss shakes"? They said....quote: "You then have to buy our maintaining shakes to be sure to maintain your weight" So......in other words, you dont ever eat 3 meals a day again......it sounds crazy to me. I didnt get over weight because I dont like eating, I cant imagine not enjoying healthy food....
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Yep! That is the magic of MFP!!!
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you want to change something you have to fix it and there is never an easy way! It is like quitting smoking cigarettes, many people say they cannot do it without help and most of the time the help they get through prescriptions or over the counter stuff simply does not work. Why? Because it is all in your head! If you want to change something YOU have to do make it happen, no medicine is going to change your mindset and that is the only thing that can change your actions.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    appetite suppresants can't be good for your! You have to eat to get nutrition. If you aren't eating, you are hurting your body and depriving it of nutrients and energy.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options

Yep! Because I honestly think I would kill someone if they took away my pizza, cheeseburgers, tacos, or cupcakes. However, instead of having 2 cheeseburgers on buns, fries, and a bowl of baked beans, I will not have 1 cheeseburger on a bun, a salad, and 1/2 C of baked beans. It's about changing the way you eat into a way you can eat for the rest of my life. It is NOT about starving yourself or never touching your favorite meals again.

No pill is going to help you lose weight and keep it off. By using this stuff, you are not learning HOW to eat or dealing with the real reasons you were overweight in the first place.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I thought diet pills didn't work. In that case..!

Just kidding, it isn't worth the money, or the potential effects on my body.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Yep! Because I honestly think I would kill someone if they took away my pizza, cheeseburgers, tacos, or cupcakes. However, instead of having 2 cheeseburgers on buns, fries, and a bowl of baked beans, I will not have 1 cheeseburger on a bun, a salad, and 1/2 C of baked beans. It's about changing the way you eat into a way you can eat for the rest of my life. It is NOT about starving yourself or never touching your favorite meals again.

No pill is going to help you lose weight and keep it off. By using this stuff, you are not learning HOW to eat or dealing with the real reasons you were overweight in the first place.

^This

It's about the journey and experience. It's fun to learn something completely new and still feel healthy. I've learned a lot from this site in like less than a month I think. I can see myself carrying this on and still enjoy some of my favorite foods, but in moderation.

Like say a McDonald's, I did have one on the weekend, but instead of going for the Big Tasty with Bacon at 890kcal. I had a Chicken Legend with Spicy Tomato Salsa, I could of gone with Mayo, but I chose something with less calories. It's like it was an instant choice at the time because I know that salsa is better than mayo. I did have fries, but we were in the drive thru and couldn't decide. If I ever do go next time, which I am hoping isn't too soon, I will get a Grilled Chicken Salad Wrap at 365kcal with Carrot Sticks, or a Side Salad.

It was nice at the time, but I was tired and was still hungry afterwards lol.