Am I losing too much weight?

Options
Hi there:) I really don't know if i'm losing too much weight, so I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions.
I used to be anorexic a few years ago, but I'm fully recovered, and since then gained a lot of weight. When I started dieting again last fall, to lose some flab and tone up, I was 130. Now I'm 116.9 and would like to get down to 112. I still see myself as flabby and like I need more muscle. Do you think 112 is too little for someone 5'6?
I'm thinking about not losing any more weight, and just toning up.
I'd love to hear your opinions:)
Thanks!

Replies

• mrsvojtasek
    Options
    I once seen a picture of someone holding 3 lemons vs 3 oranges. The 3 lemons stand for 5lbs of muscle and the 3 oranges stand for 5lbs of fat. Fat looks bulky on us. So you need to make sure and eat plenty of protein and veggies and work on your muscle build work outs. Google areas of the body on youtube. helps me get a visible of what I need to be doing. Good Luck
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    To me that sounds like it would be too low. Have you thought about just focusing on strengthening and toning?
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options
    I once seen a picture of someone holding 3 lemons vs 3 oranges. The 3 lemons stand for 5lbs of muscle and the 3 oranges stand for 5lbs of fat. Fat looks bulky on us. So you need to make sure and eat plenty of protein and veggies and work on your muscle build work outs. Google areas of the body on youtube. helps me get a visible of what I need to be doing. Good Luck

That's interesting. I definitely need to eat more protein(I'm more of a sweet eater lol), and I'm definitely gonna work on getting more muscle.
    Thanks for your answer:)
  • HannahPTA
    HannahPTA Posts: 39
    Options
    Congrats on your reaching your initial goal and realizing the ease with which one can slip into a unhealthy weight!! According to my calculations your BMI is right at the cusp of being just under the lowest reccomended BMI for your height and weight. I would reccomend working on trading fat pounds for lean muscle mass while not losing anymore weight.
    Best Wishes!
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options
    To me that sounds like it would be too low. Have you thought about just focusing on strengthening and toning?

Yeah, I've been wondering if that's too low. I'm thinking about just sticking with exercises that tone me up, and lowering my body fat percentage(it's 24.9%), rather than losing more weight.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've been wondering if that's too low. I'm thinking about just sticking with exercises that tone me up, and lowering my body fat percentage(it's 24.9%), rather than losing more weight.

I think you're on the right track here.... building up muscle strength is going to make you stronger and you'll look leaner even if you don't see the difference on the scales.
    And as a side benefit (for me anyway) getting physically stronger always makes me feel stronger mentally too. I don't know if it's the endorphins or if it's psychological, but I'll take it anyway!
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options
    Congrats on your reaching your initial goal and realizing the ease with which one can slip into a unhealthy weight!! According to my calculations your BMI is right at the cusp of being just under the lowest reccomended BMI for your height and weight. I would reccomend working on trading fat pounds for lean muscle mass while not losing anymore weight.
    Best Wishes!

Thanks for your answer!:) I think I'm just going to stick with my weight, and gain lean muscle.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you need to work out
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im 5'5 and when i was in recovery i was 110...

i dont wanna get down that low again, i was boney and stuff (i can see that now). did you do therepy in recovery? it helped me develop a positive body immage.

You have a BMI of 18.08.

BMI is equal to or less than 18.5 (Underweight)
    A lean BMI can indicate that your weight maybe too low. You should consult your physician to determine if you should gain weight, as low body mass can decrease your body's immune system, which could lead to ilness such as disappearance of periods (women), bone loss, malnutrition and other conditions. The lower your BMI the greater these risks become.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I think you're on the right track here.... building up muscle strength is going to make you stronger and you'll look leaner even if you don't see the difference on the scales.
    And as a side benefit (for me anyway) getting physically stronger always makes me feel stronger mentally too. I don't know if it's the endorphins or if it's psychological, but I'll take it anyway!

Agree. I'm 5'6" and I plan on weighing 130lb at my lowest.
    Perhaps you are thinner built than I am but you should try to add strength training in. I LOOOVE lifting!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it is reaallly low for 5'6. I would think around 118ish would be the lowest. You are lucky to be tall. Maybe try eating more and building muscle- but you have to eat to tone your body...otherwise you are losing muscle
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hi there:) I really don't know if i'm losing too much weight, so I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions.
    I used to be anorexic a few years ago, but I'm fully recovered, and since then gained a lot of weight. When I started dieting again last fall, to lose some flab and tone up, I was 130. Now I'm 116.9 and would like to get down to 112. I still see myself as flabby and like I need more muscle. Do you think 112 is too little for someone 5'6?
    Thanks!

Yes, 112 is too low for someone of your height. Do some strength training to improve your muscle definition.
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options

Agree. I'm 5'6" and I plan on weighing 130lb at my lowest.
    Perhaps you are thinner built than I am but you should try to add strength training in. I LOOOVE lifting!

All these answers are making me realize that I need to mantain my weight and add some lifting! Perhaps even gain some.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If your someone who likes measuring your success and think you will miss seeing the weight change on the scale you could you find someone (a local trainer at a gym?) or do it yourself, who will measure your body fat %? That way you can stay at the same weight but still get that sense of achievement from seeing the numbers go down?

*edited to say now we just need a ticker to track body fat % :smile:
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options
    im 5'5 and when i was in recovery i was 110...

i dont wanna get down that low again, i was boney and stuff (i can see that now). did you do therepy in recovery? it helped me develop a positive body immage.

You have a BMI of 18.08.

BMI is equal to or less than 18.5 (Underweight)
    A lean BMI can indicate that your weight maybe too low. You should consult your physician to determine if you should gain weight, as low body mass can decrease your body's immune system, which could lead to ilness such as disappearance of periods (women), bone loss, malnutrition and other conditions. The lower your BMI the greater these risks become.

I got over it by myself because my Mom was getting really worried about me, so I never received professional help. I did recover mostly though, because I never starved myself again.
    I hadn't realized my BMI was that low, so i'm just gonna mantain if not gain some more weight, and add some strength training.
    Thanks for your answer:)
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you aren't accidentally falling into old ways then you'll make the right choices.
    Don't worry so much about what the scale says. Start strength training and I'm pretty positive you'll like what you will see.
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options
    Thanks!

Yes, 112 is too low for someone of your height. Do some strength training to improve your muscle definition.

Thanks:) I plan on doing some strength training this week, and start mantaining my weight, now.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This was probably already mentioned, but if you gain 10 pounds of muscle you will likely be super toned. At this point it's probably best for you to ignore the number on the scale and focus on building muscle, anyway. If you are at 116.9lbs now and attempt to tone up, I don't think you'll have much success gaining any muscle while remaining 116.9lbs. You're going to have to gain some muscle (which will cause a weight gain), but that's a good thing! Then, you'll be at a good BMI, a healthy weight, and look lean and fit.

Hope that makes sense.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Build. 112 is low.
  • SandyPianoGirl
    Options
    If your someone who likes measuring your success and think you will miss seeing the weight change on the scale you could you find someone (a local trainer at a gym?) or do it yourself, who will measure your body fat %? That way you can stay at the same weight but still get that sense of achievement from seeing the numbers go down?

*edited to say now we just need a ticker to track body fat % :smile:

I agree we do need a body fat % ticker:) I really haven't got that much muscle, because I do mostly cardio, so I'm gonna start adding some strength training and tone up.