at the risk of sounding like a moron...

Options
My dr said i should be at 1500 cals, I started there and then once I had lost enough mfp adjusted it to 1450. My question is should my net be 1450? I have just been making sure that my intake is that but I am afraid I am doing this wrong? I think my diet is open. feel free to take a look. Thank you!

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    As I'm understanding things, MFP automatically adjusted down your calorie requirement because you lost weight. This makes sense and seems normal. Whether or not those are net calories is a separate question. I would say that if you were eating 1500 net calories before, continue to do so only at 1450. If you weren't eating net calories, don't and see what happens. Basically just stay consistent on that front.

As you lose weight (assuming even energy requirements), your caloric needs will go down.

Edited for clarity.
  • Dannosjourneytofit
    Dannosjourneytofit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you. I played with it a little bit today and ate more calories. while I know its not totally accurate I stepped on the scale tonight and I was 3lbs less than this morning, I also had a killer workout today:) I will step on the scale in the AM to see what the verdict is.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what your doctor meant by it, but in MFP terms, yes the number it gives you is net calories :) That's why when you exercise it adds those calories back for you to eat. Hope this helps!
  • lauraclapper
    Options
    Why not go down to 1200 Kcals?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Because she is seeing results with the calorie deficit she already has. Less is not necessarily better.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Because many people have read the advice of many more on hear regarding the aggravation that results from setting weight loss goal to high, and eating too little, and having their efforts stall eventually.

and they don't want their metabolism to slow down that much, just makes it take longer to lose weight before it stalls out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My dr said i should be at 1500 cals, I started there and then once I had lost enough mfp adjusted it to 1450. My question is should my net be 1450? I have just been making sure that my intake is that but I am afraid I am doing this wrong? I think my diet is open. feel free to take a look. Thank you!

Dr's sadly are not dietitians nor nutritionists, and while having good intentions, set bad goals many times. Though the other groups could do them too.
    One gentlemen on other thread said Dr wanted him to eat 300 below his current BMR, and exercise and not eat them back. Incredible.

You at least sound like you have a realistic view and goal.

You are correct about the NET calories. MFP has a deficit in your daily net goal already, you never included exercise goals during setup that had any bearing on the math for that deficit. So to keep your safe deficit, and so the exercise doesn't rob calories your body needs for basic metabolism, you are expected to eat back a majority of exercise calories.

Otherwise known as feeding the workout.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options