HRM users . . . when to hit stop?

Options

Replies

• KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I hit stop as soon as I'm done exercising. I'd rather underestimate the burn!

I usually do this too.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    after I get out of the zone or to my car. usually takes a minute or two though to drop to normal heart rate.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i stop when i'm done exercising... it's to calculate your heart rate while you're working out, not while you're driving home from the gym.
  • bratgrrl
    bratgrrl Posts: 30
    Options
    I usually hit stop when my heart rate hits 100
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, some interesting answers here!

I start mine as soon as I get on the treadmill (35 mins), keep it on during strength training (25 to 35 mins) and stop it when I hit the change room.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've had my heart rate monitor for a year and have used it consistently. I stop it as soon as I'm done with the exercise. It actually never crossed my mind to keep it running. I like to know how many calories I burned for the time I was exercising. I guess I don't really care what I'm burning as I cool down - those are bonus calories to me.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When you're on your cool down you should be slowing to let your heart rate down to below roughly 60% of your maximum target heart rate at which point you should stop anyway as your probably not exerting anymore.
  • jeefyl
    jeefyl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I stop mine as when I am done exercising. There is no magic number for me.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I usually hit stop when my heartrate drops below 115.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I usually hit stop a minute or so after ending the exercise. Usually once I hit about 115...but judging by what people are saying here, maybe I should leave it longer!
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you can stop it after your done with exercise, whrn you hit the locker room (what I do) or wait until your HR gets to your starting HR.
    I don't wait because I get all sweaty and don't want to wait to take it off.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Stop when you're done if you want to know what you burned doing that specific activity for that amount of time. Otherwise its just a few additional calories burned walking around the gym after your workout.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'll keep this in mind when I get my HRM in the mail. Just ordered one. :glasses:
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I usually do this too.

Add me to those who would rather underestimate the burn. If you "workout" for 20 min but dont stop the HRM for 30 then you dont know precisely what you burned. In other words why not start the HRM 3 hrs before, let it go for 3 hrs after and then log your excercise as 1000+ calories burned. If your gonna cheat yourself you might as well go big.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, some interesting answers here!

I start mine as soon as I get on the treadmill (35 mins), keep it on during strength training (25 to 35 mins) and stop it when I hit the change room.

Same.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

This is what I do...rather be a little under than over! :smile:
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I leave it on till I shower before bed.....is this a bad thing?
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I stop it when I'm done exercising
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, I hit stop once I'm no longer "in the zone".

Me too, I also use a fitbit, so it subtracts my bmr from my burn so it doesn't matter how long I leave it on for.
    If you subtract your bmr yourself you won't have to worry about how long you have it on for. :smile:
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hit stop when I'm done......but if I know I didn't put as much effort into my workout, I cheat and wait a few minutes till I feel cooled down completely. LOL. Just being honest. The problem with that is that I forget to hit stop. HA! In any case.....both ways are accurate in my opinion.