HRM users . . . when to hit stop?

Options

Replies

• jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ...and I absolutely loooooove my Polar FT40!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I hit start when I start my actual workout and I hit stop when I finish. Warm-ups and cool downs don't get counted since my heart rate typically isn't elevated enough during those times to make it worthwhile to count.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I hit stop when I'm done exercising .........
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I stop it once I finish the exercise or when I remember to hit the button whichever happens first. Sometimes this means when I get out of the zone and it beeps at me.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I wait until my heart stops racing. If it's after a run, I stretch and walk a bit to cool down. If it's a class, it's right after we stretch and cool down. Just the way I do it! Can't wait to get it back, I've been without mine for a while as I accidentally left the watch at my friend's house... she's bringing it to me for my birthday! (we live on opposite sides of the country, not like a quick road trip).
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on if you are eating back every single little calorie. If you are, you may want to under-estimate your burn and stop when your workout stops? Personally, I consider my post exercise burn as part of my caloric burn from my workout as my heart rate remains above my normal activity level for several minutes as I cool down- that's why I stop it at 100. Hardly "cheating" (WTF?) as I don't base my caloric intake strictly off what I burn. As long as you are still burning above a normal level, why not?
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I hit stop as soon as I'm done exercising. I'd rather underestimate the burn!

^ this
  • paigedwatson
    Options
    I check my resting heart rate before I run and I stop it when I reach back to my resting heart rate.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I usually hit stop when I've completed my cool down walk, about five minutes. Sometimes my heart rate comes down faster (low intensity run) and sometimes it comes down slower (higher intensity run). Cool down, in my mind, is just as important as warm-up, but like another poster replied, the HRM is used to measure the exercise time (for me that's warm-up and cool-down), though not stretching., etc.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    Usually I hit stop once I finish my cool down/stretch.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I hit stop as soon as I'm done exercising. I'd rather underestimate the burn!

This is what I do, too. I work out in my room, so as soon as I pause and head for my computer chair again, "STOP".
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    I do the same! I hit stop when it gets below 100 ... I remember a while back before I got my HRM there was a thread on here and pretty much everyone suggested to stop when it gets under 100

I was wondering the same thing. ^^ Good to Know. I'm hitting stop right after I'm done with my workout.
    I love my Polar FT7
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    I always stop mine after the cool down of my workout.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Options
    I stop mine when the dizziness and nausea go away, cause I figure my heart rate has gone down enough, usually between 130-140 and a minute or two after the cool down stretches
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I hit start when I start my actual workout and I hit stop when I finish. Warm-ups and cool downs don't get counted since my heart rate typically isn't elevated enough during those times to make it worthwhile to count.

This.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I stop it when I go under 100, your still burning more than you count and I don't eat them back. I think its a good method. X
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it. Really ? Just stop it when you are finished with your workout .... simple as that !
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I'm running I start it as I leave my driveway (after my warm up) and stop when I hit the bottom of the driveway at the end of my run (I don't count my cool-down / stretching). On the treadmill, start the HRM when I start the treadmill & stop as soon as I hit the 5 min cool down finishes (don't count stretching afterward)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Mine is a Garmin FR60 with the footpod so I use it to track my mileage and pace and everything when I'm running as well as my heart rate and calories. I start it when I stop walking and start running and I stop it when I stop running. If I don't then my calories are going to be different but so is my pace and mileage (plus it breaks down my pace mile by mile too and I like looking at that). When I use it for workouts other than running I start it when I start and I stop it when I stop. If it's Insanity or P90X it starts and stops with the tape - so cool down and warm up are tracked also. With my own workouts I start after I warm up and stop before I stretch at the end.

I'm not trying to get credit for every single calorie I burn. I walk a half mile to the trail before I start running and then walk a half mile or more back to my office when I'm done. I don't track the calories burned for that activity at all.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I hit stop when I'm done cooling down and stretching -- usually when I'm walking back to the locker room. I'd rather underestimate than overestimate, I guess.