cravings during cycle

Options
I do so well with my eating and tracking calories unitl 2 weeks prior to menstrating. Does anyone have any tips to get over this. It seems like I am always taking two steps ahead and then two steps back each month. I feel more hungry and crave chocolate and seem to loose my will power. Why is that?

Replies

• HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am a work in progress! But I've realized I get a real nasty case of the crunchy munchies and I do in general feel hungrier. I'm trying to find some low calorie chocolate treats (heads up, some suggestions for those cravings: sugar free hot chocolate, dark chocolate, dark chocolate with chili, sugar free pudding, brownies using pumpkin/applesauce/prune puree instead of eggs/fat/oil).
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Same, but I tend to be about a week out. I don't seem to be able to think about it logically at all! I crave chocolate and also simple carbs like bread. The good news for me is that if I can limit it to 1-3 days, although I put on weight during that week, it usually doesn't have a detrimental effect on my progress overall.

I have had some success by having some Atkins chocolate bars on hand, which don't seem to be as calorie laden as standard chocolate. I like the Atkins Endulge Milk Chocolate (tastes like normal chocolate), and the Atkins Endulge Caramel Nut Chew bar which tastes like a snickers bar.

I have read that your body burns some extra cals during this time as well, hence the reason you feel hungrier.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I also have problems with cravings around that time of the month. I eat dark chocolate. It is organic and 70% or higher. That helps a lot. I also eat smoked salmon to help with the salty cravings and I make mock chips and dip. sliced cucumbers are my chips and an avocado mixed with 1 cup of pico de gallo with a little salt and pepper is my dip. These are actually things I eat all the time but they help with the cravings.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Estrogen & Cortisol! .. these hormone levels raise in anticipation of your next cycle. Your metabolism is also slightly higher the week before so a good time to take advantage of extra exercise.. if I can keep exercising everyday up to day they start (from when cravings kick in) I usually drop an additional 2-3lbs besides the water that went on.

I use appetite suppressants around that time too to control the cravings and try things like having a choc slim fast as a meal to satisfy my choc cravings. Snack-a-jacks choc chip rice cakes are low in cals (around 53 I think for the big ones) and can have one with a slim fast (as can have three 100 cal snacks)... or choc philly spread on a ryvita comes in at just over 100, so i borrow cals from another lower calorie snack like an apple.. lol! :wink:
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    i buy 100 cal fudgesicles... helps my chocolate cravings, which i didnt seem to have till i started trying to make healthier choices... and to that i say, wtf?! :grumble:
  • Sarah_Hipwell
    Sarah_Hipwell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I tend to want to eat non-stop from about 2 days before my period starts and it lasts for a week! :/ The good news is I've worked out how to circimvent some of my cravings. First rule: don't ignore them or you'll end up binge eating, but rather try to plan for them.

I have some packets of cookies in the cupboard that come in mini snack packs so it's harder to overeat. I try to limit myself to one of those a day where I can. I have also worked out that fruit and vanilla yoghurt is enough to trick my body into thinking I've fed it ice cream; it has enough sugar and dairy in it to suffice and only about 150 calories.

I also have an incredibly busy life and the other thing I've found that helps, particularly around period time, is overcooking and freezing extra meals. That way I can just grab something out of the freezer and there's no excuse to be eating bad food. It's actually easier to eat at home.

Hope that helps!
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    Oh yes, I crave food the week before, I can always tell its coming from my regular hunger pangs... as soon as its here... gone!!

I try not to give into it, but i know its my worst time where I will eat extra food, I just try to exercise more so I can eat a bit more.
  • soncat27
    soncat27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try taking a magnesium supplement with some vit B6 in it. I asked this same question and my doctor told me that I crave chocolate because chocolate is high in magnesium and my body is asking for magnesium. I started taking a supplement high in magnesium and it really helped my cravings. :happy: It also helps for premenstrual migraine which I also get. I found this website to be very helpful http://www.marilynglenville.com/pms.htm :happy: