Your favorite book?

Options

Replies

• GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have always like To Kill a Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice, as my classic favourites.
    As a TA I read quite a few "children's" books and have enjoyed many Michael Murpurgo books.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...I even named my oldest son Owen. He's 14 now and knows where his name came from and why... :)
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The Bible first then anything by Patrica Cornwell
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...I even named my oldest son Owen. He's 14 now and knows where his name came from and why... :)

Love this book!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just started reading The Hunger Games yesterday and I'm currently on page 170. This book is a great read! The movie comes out this week and I wanted to read the book before I see the movie.
    Just wondering what your favorite book is? I like to have a list of books to read, so I was hoping you all could help me add to it!
    Thanks!:heart:
    if you liked Hunger Games, check out The Forest of Hands and Teeth.
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    too many.. i read 1 to two books a day :/ this is why i love my kindle <3
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I found my new favorite book this morning that I read. My co-woker has a grandaughter and her aunt got her a book called go the F**K to Sleep. It is hilarious
    but other than that anything by Stephen King!!!

Great book, but it took me two minutes to read in the book store, so it won't keep her long! lol
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I found my new favorite book this morning that I read. My co-woker has a grandaughter and her aunt got her a book called go the F**K to Sleep. It is hilarious

I was given this ^ for christmas! Very funny.

One of my faves is The time Travellers Wife, purely because I thought it was an amazing way of writing! Five quarters of the orange, and Chocolat, and anything by Paulo Coelho.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook, so my reading list is pretty long!
    A few fave authors:
    Alice Munroe
    Anita Shreve
    Jennifer Weiner
    Edith Wharton
    Barbara Hambly
    Victoria Thompson
    Rhys Bown
    M. C. Beaton
    Orson Scott Card
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you like long books (1000 pages give or take), try Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It's historical fiction love story mixed with a bit of time travel. It sounds kind of weird, but give it a try. She writes with a lot of detail and I have a very hard time putting her books down once I start.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My favorite book of all time? Either "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck or "The Judoka" by W D Norwood Jr.

Good luck finding The Judoka. If you can find a copy for under $20, let me know. I'll buy it from you. Bought the copy I have in 1974. Have read it and re-read it so many times that it is now held together by a rubber band.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I read the Hunger Games and devoured the trilogy in less than a week. Loved the series.

My favorite lit book has to be "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Currently reading "A Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs which is another fun read.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, I haven't any one book that I could call my favorite.

Some authors I like (in no order):

William Faulkner
    Vince Flynn
    C.S. Lewis
    Tom Robbins
    Elmore Leonard
    Tom Clancy
    John Irving
    Pat Conroy
    Raymond Chandler
    Richard Brautigan
    Alexandre Dumas
    Stephen Hunter
    Thomas Harris
    Mark Twain
    Philip K. D*ck

And so many more...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am number four. I'll be honest the writing was horrendous but the story line is REALLY good.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My favorite book of all time? Either "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck or "The Judoka" by W D Norwood Jr.

Good luck finding The Judoka. If you can find a copy for under $20, let me know. I'll buy it from you. Bought the copy I have in 1974. Have read it and re-read it so many times that it is now held together by a rubber band.

Not under $20, but close:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0394482980/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1332248413&sr=8-1&condition=used
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    The Hunger Games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't have a favorite book.

I have series of books that I love a lot.

Hunger Games is amazing. I loved the first and second book. The third in the series isn't that good, but still had to read it. I can't wait for the movie!
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have heard wonderful things about The Hunger Games, so I think that series will be my next read.

I love to read anything my John Grisham, and recent favorites are The Help and Water for Elephants
  • bamajes
    bamajes Posts: 24
    Options
    if you liked Hunger Games, check out The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

I agree. I was skeptical about this trilogy at first. Then I read the first one and was hooked. They kind of pull you into their world. Those are my favorite kind of books.

I also highly recommend Goodreads to anyone who isn't already on it. I have been turned on to several really good books (and some bombs) by reading other peoples reviews.
    I'm not sure how to add my "lookup" by I'm listed on Goodreads as Jessica Tate if anyone wants to add me.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I can't pick just one favorite! I am an avid bookworm. Authors I love are Kristin hannah, luanne rice, barbara freethy, mitch albom, nicholaus sparks....the list goes on and on.
    The Hunger Games series is pretty amazing, and it was really hard to find something else to read after it was over. If you have a Kindle, or the Kindle app, check out the free or under $3.99 on iBooks.