Severe asthmatic how can I exercise?

Options
I am hoping that someone can give me suggestions on what I can do to exercise. I have been a severe asthmatic all my life and have never been able to do anything that involves cardio, or anything really. I am not sure if there really is anything that will allow me to be active to help shed some weight that won't cause an asthma attack. I do not have access to a swimming pool or the money for a gym membership. I am trying to loose weight and everyone around me says I won't loose weight unless I exercise and when I tell them I have a hard time because of my asthma they think I am making excuses and yet they have no suggestions to help me, it would be nice to show them I CAN loose weight!

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    So I'm guessing your asthma is exercise-induced? I have severe asthma. but mine is environmentally-induced, and not triggered by exercise.

What I would suggest first is seeing a doctor, and possibly getting on some controller medications that could prevent attacks before they start. Then, try taking your quick-relief inhaler (or another medication) about 15 minutes before you start exercising.

And RELAX. One of the main causes of attacks continuing is stress, and panic. Something that really helped me with my attacks was learning to relax, and not panic during an attack. I've actually managed to get through several attacks in situations when I couldn't get to a quick-relief inhaler (once was overnight), just by relaxing my mind and body, and not allowing myself to stress.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Are you on meds for your asthma? If not, you should be. It can be a deadly serious disease, often with little warning. I have moderate persistent asthma and am on a twice-daily inhaled steroid. Unless you have EIA you should be on a continuous therapy to fend-off attacks before they happen...and a rescue inhaler for treating attacks. I end up requiring my rescue albuterol more often during allergy season and if I have a cold or flu (I get the flu shot every year, since asthmatics are at extra risk of complications or death with the flu).
  • PrincessTatertot
    PrincessTatertot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with your doctor, but I have had luck taking the albuterol before exercising and started my exercise journey (almost 100 lbs ago) just by walking. Even small movement helps.
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    So I'm guessing your asthma is exercise-induced? I have severe asthma. but mine is environmentally-induced, and not triggered by exercise.

What I would suggest first is seeing a doctor, and possibly getting on some controller medications that could prevent attacks before they start. Then, try taking your quick-relief inhaler (or another medication) about 15 minutes before you start exercising.

And RELAX. One of the main causes of attacks continuing is stress, and panic. Something that really helped me with my attacks was learning to relax, and not panic during an attack. I've actually managed to get through several attacks in situations when I couldn't get to a quick-relief inhaler (once was overnight), just by relaxing my mind and body, and not allowing myself to stress.

Yep ^^^!!!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Another vote for asking your Dr. Perhaps strength training would be better for you than cardio. You CAN control your diet, though. Until you get info from your Dr., stick around here and put your level at sedentary and track what you eat. I know plenty of people who haven't exercised and still lost weight by cutting calories and cleaning up their diets.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have exercised induced asthma, and sometimes my inhaler just doesn't work. Ask your doctor. Hang in there, you can lose weight...even if you start walking out slowly!
  • sionlikesmusic
    Options
    I don't know how bad your asthma affects your ability to exercise, but if it's of any help one of my best friends also has pretty bad asthma which affects him quite often and yet he puts me to shame in terms of exercising. Obviously I can't just say straight up it's a case of managing your asthma because I guess for a lot of people it's the asthma that manages you, but I mean if you have an idea as to your limits I would suggest working towards furthering them - if that makes sense.

If you don't have access to a gym or anything, then maybe start off with doing long walks - they don't sound compelling, but honestly they do you good. I used to play rugby for my school team as well as a side outside of school so the training used to be intense and 5 days of the week I was doing regular cardio. That was 2 years ago, and now since then my exercise level is virtually non-existent in comparison, but when the weather's good I tend to go for a walk for about 2 or 3 hours, often to a beach or in the country side where the terrain's a bit more difficult than roads. I'm quite lucky in that respect because I live in the countryside and there are beaches nearby, but just going out and walking for a good 2 or 3 hours does knacker me out, which in the past it never would have.

Maybe you could start off just setting yourself a goal of walking x amount of hours a week, see how it goes and if you feel like you can push it further then increase your time spent walking or look to start jogging? I know it's all very well saying go walking for x amount of hours a week and not everyone has the time in their week to do so, but it comes to the old thing of if you haven't got time you have to make it. I don't know, I hope this kind of helps you haha. Good luck!
  • zombiebitten
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I suppose I should have elaborated on the details of my asthma more. I do see a doctor for my asthma, but he says he doesn't know what exercises I could do. I am on Advair twice a day plus I have albuterol and I take an nasal steroid. My asthma is allergy induced and exercise induced so I have a double whammy there. At any rate, I am starting to watch my calories, but I really wanted to get my energy level up and maybe have more luck with shedding some pounds. I will see if I can find a place to start walking and I will look into the strength training, but I was told that strength training can cause you to gain more pounds because you are building the muscle? I don't want to get discouraged if I start seeing my weight go back up when I need to be loosing weight. Thank you again to all those who replied I do appreciate it especially since the information you have given me has been much more than my doctor could give me.
  • turpz
    turpz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Doctors can be useless with these things, I was having wheezing problems (though not full blown attacks) when I exercised - My GP decided I was young & otherwise healthy, so it must be asthma. When all inhalers & tests suggested it wasn't athsma, the docs pretty much went 'oh well'... You'd think they'd be doing all they could to get everyone exercising more, but sometimes think it's easier for them to say "it's just not for you"

If you're tracking your eating well and losing due to that, I wouldn't worry about putting weight ON via strength training. It'll change your shape, but unless you're eating plenty, you're not going to gain pounds of muscle mass, so shouldn't give nasty scale readings.

I'd still press with the doctors about controlling it better for some cardio though, because I'm pretty certain aerobic exercise can actually improve asthma symptoms, as lung function gets better. Good luck :)
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My daughter who has asthma is a long distance runner. She uses advair and an inhaler.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Had asthma my whole life.....................you dont need to exercise to lose weight. Just stay in your calories and you will lose weight. As you lose weight your asthma will improve. Then worry about it, also fyi, swimming is notoriously bad for asthmatics due to the chlorination in the pool area.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I, too, have exercise induced asthma and am on ProAir (CFC free albuterol) and Advair. I started walking the couch to 5k almost two years ago. It took me 20 weeks to get through the nine week plan. I consider myself a runner now. Slow, but still a runner. Some days a 12 minute mile hurts me, other days I can pull off an 8 minute mile. I truly believe that most of the time it's telling yourself you CAN and you WILL do it. It's not easy and there will be days that working out in anyway is super hard, but you CAN and WILL be more healthy just for getting up and trying.
    Feel free to friend me and good luck!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My husband has the allergy induced kind of asthma, and he says that running actually HELPS it. Of course, the first few times he tried to run he needed his inhaler, but after awhile he could go farther and farther without it, and he barely even uses it at all now. I think he only uses his Advair when he's been around a cat or dog (which he's allergic to.)

I don't know as much about exercise induced asthma, but I say do what you can, when you can do it. Are your allergies mostly indoor or outdoor? Choose your location to exercise based on the environment. My hubs is allergic to indoor stuff, so he goes outside to run whenever the weather is permitting. If you are allergic to outdoor stuff, like pollen, stay inside in the air conditioning with a HEPA filter running and do some DVDs or something.

Start small with exercise too. 5 or 10 minutes of moving around is better than staying on the couch, and definitely better than over exerting yourself. Don't feel bad if you are tired after only a few minutes. Just do what you can and be proud that you did something. I don't have asthma, but I was not ashamed to just go for a walk around the block and refer to it as a workout when I wasn't in shape yet. Your abilities will grow as long as you stick with it.

Also, watch your food intake. Try not to go over on calories if you are not able to burn very many off with exercise.

If your doctor isn't giving you much good advice, see if you can find other asthmatics to be friends with on here, or maybe find a Asthma message board somewhere in the world wide web. You might be amazed at how much more information other patients will have that your doctor wouldn't even think of.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yoga? Maybe some other low intensity body weight exercises?
  • joanmc12
    joanmc12 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have the same problem i have asthma an copd i want to exercise but don't know what kind i can do!!!
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    With asthma you can do cardiovascular exercise but you should avoid extreme temperatures when exercising. You also want to keep your activities at a low to moderate pace. Try to take note at what intensity you tend to feel an attack coming on so that you can monitor yourself (you can understand what intensity by your heart rate, ability to talk, sensations of your muscles, etc.). Swimming is an excellent exercise as well as aqua aerobics for asthmatics due to the humidity in the pool. Ask your doctor about these options.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I suppose I should have elaborated on the details of my asthma more. I do see a doctor for my asthma, but he says he doesn't know what exercises I could do. I am on Advair twice a day plus I have albuterol and I take an nasal steroid. My asthma is allergy induced and exercise induced so I have a double whammy there. At any rate, I am starting to watch my calories, but I really wanted to get my energy level up and maybe have more luck with shedding some pounds. I will see if I can find a place to start walking and I will look into the strength training, but I was told that strength training can cause you to gain more pounds because you are building the muscle? I don't want to get discouraged if I start seeing my weight go back up when I need to be loosing weight. Thank you again to all those who replied I do appreciate it especially since the information you have given me has been much more than my doctor could give me.

I would absolutely do strength training if you can. It'll give your metabolism a kick start and you'll start toning your body. A pound of muscle is a hell of a lot healthier than a pound of fat. I wouldn't worry about what the scales say. Just get healthy. Move your body anyway that works for you, eat healthy, and work on your strength training. There are some great on-line videos for how to do strength training with little to no equipment at home.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Walk. When the allergins are high-Do it in the mall. Its the small changes at first that will get you to the big ones later on. Inhailler 30 minutes before you start. Just keep reminding yourself that its better to stand then to sit, better to walk when you could stand. As you start to increase your fitness level your breathing will improve. 2 yearsa ago I was 65 pounds heavier and even a short walk would having me gasping for breath. Yesterday I ran about half of my 30 minute lunch hour (walked the rest), did Jillian Michaels 30 day shead and went on a 45 minute bike ride. Just get started and do something every day. You can do it!
  • sionlikesmusic
    Options
    I will see if I can find a place to start walking and I will look into the strength training, but I was told that strength training can cause you to gain more pounds because you are building the muscle? I don't want to get discouraged if I start seeing my weight go back up when I need to be loosing weight.

That's true, but if I remember it depends on how you go about your strength training. If you do heavy weights in low reps then you'll build muscle which will lead to definite weight gain, but if you do light weights in high reps then that will serve to tone the areas your working as opposed to building on the muscle that's there already.