Your favorite book?

Options

Replies

• erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Imajica, The Great and Secret Show and Weaveworld, all by Clive Barker. Talk about detailed, vivid imagination! I love these stories.
    I also loved the Gunslinger Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
    I loved Stiff and Bonk!, both by Mary Roach.

We have very similar taste. :)

(King, Barker, and Roach are 3 of my favorites.)
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The lord of the rings, without a shadow of doubt, love it! And all the books by Tolkien, the Silmarillion is a great read for anyone interested in elves :) Also, love a song of ice and fire books, also the true blood books.

Didn't know the hunger games came from a book, will need to give the trilogy a read before seeing the film, its always better to read the books first so you aren't tainted by the films!
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    book loving bump!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just started reading The Hunger Games yesterday and I'm currently on page 170. This book is a great read! The movie comes out this week and I wanted to read the book before I see the movie.
    Just wondering what your favorite book is? I like to have a list of books to read, so I was hoping you all could help me add to it!
    Thanks!:heart:
    if you liked Hunger Games, check out The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

i read that one it was pretty good! Havent finished the other 2 yet
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I couldn't narrow it down to one book there are so many! I might have to check out the Hunger Games from what I've seen on here then?
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't have favorite books, I have favorite authors.

Tom Clancy
    Vince Flynn
    John Sandford
    John Grisham
    James Patrick Hunt
    Jack Coughlin
    James Patterson
    Alex Berenson
    William Bernhardt
    Andy McNab
    Patricia Cornwell
    Daniel Silva
    Ben Coes
    Richard Castle
    Michael Connelly

And the list goes on and on, I think there are another 10 or so.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My bookshelf is too overflowing to pick a fav! But i do agree...go on goodreads and you will have so many new book ideas. I have found a few I wouldnt have otherwise tried
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The Mosquito Coast (Theroux), The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald), Another Roadside Attraction (Robbins), Bonfire of the Vanities (Wolfe) and Just Above My Head (Baldwin) are probably my all-time favourites.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I couldn't narrow it down to one book there are so many! I might have to check out the Hunger Games from what I've seen on here then?

You know, my first instinct was that I didn't want to read these books. Something about what I was hearing about them really rubbed me wrong. But the movie trailers were intriguing, so I borrowed the first one from my daughter last night. I finished three chapters, but I have to say, it isn't gripping me the way other books have. It's written in present tense, which is a difficult thing to read, for one. But also the storyline bothers me a lot. I thought maybe I would find I was wrong about that, but I had some pretty awful dreams last night and I haven't even gotten to the worst parts.

I went to Wikipedia this morning and looked at the synopses of the three books and I'm not sure I'm going to continue.
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My bookshelf is too overflowing to pick a fav! But i do agree...go on goodreads and you will have so many new book ideas. I have found a few I wouldnt have otherwise tried

Another good site is fantasticfiction.com.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not supposed to advertise here, but since this is a book thread, I guess I'll throw this out there: I wrote a book. It's called 'Just Jake.' It's young adult fiction, sort of in the vein of 'Catcher in the Rye' or 'She's Come Undone' (which isn't TECHNICALLY young adult fiction, I suppose...).

You can order it in hardcover, softcover, or for your e-reader (Kindle, Nook, etc.) through Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com, or any number of other online retailers.

/shamelessplug
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love reading and have so many favourite books, but at a push...

Birds Of Prey / Monsoon / Blue Horizon - Trilogy by Wilbur Smith

The Pillars of the Earth / World Without End - Ken Follett

I'm a huge fan of the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett, and I enjoyed the Twilight and Harry Potter books too.

Other favourite authors include Harlen Coben, Dean Kootz, Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, Val McDermid...

Like I said, I love to read! :laugh:
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just started reading the Hunger Games.. about a 1/4 of the way into the second book . EXCELLENT BOOK.. Typically I cheat and listen to the audio book though LOL...I have soo many books that I can read over and over again.. here are a few of the top ones:
    The Oath ~ Frank Peretti
    This Present Darkness ~ Frank Peretti
    Thr3e ~ Ted Dekker
    House ~ Ted Dekker/Frank Peretti
    World War Z ~ Max Brooks
    Batman Knightfall ~ Dennis O'Neil
    **EDIT*** all this talk about goodreads.com .. I HAD to go and check it out .. Feel free to add me .. Jayson Chapman
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    just tried to place a hold at the library for The hunger games...I'm in at position 51!!
    Very popular book all round by the looks of it.
    Requested The Forest of Hands and Teeth to give that a try.
  • blackberrysmom
    Options
    Stephanie Plum series and Gladdy Gold series by Rita Lakin. I like funny murder mysteries, if there is such a thing. :smile:
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My favorite book is Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. :drinker:

The last book I read was A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin. I'm anxiously awaiting The Winds of Winter.

I haven't read the Hunger Games but it's a series that I have thought about reading. lol. Maybe I'll pick up the first book and check it out. I'm still trying to finish Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I guess that I would have to go by the books that I have re-read:

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    Charlotte's Web - E B White
    The Laura Ingall Wilder series
    J R R Tolkien series

I would love to re-read the James Herriot (English vet) series again. (In fact, I just ordered them. LOL)

Currently reading "Fatherless" by Brian J Gail.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Read 'Divergent' by Victoria Roth. Awesome book. Same genre as Hunger Games
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Favorite at the moment 50 Shades of Grey! oh my! It's fresh
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I don't usually read fantasy, but I recommend the Game of Thrones books.

I'm not big on fantasy either, but these books are awesome and the show is amazing on HBO. I only read the first 2 books of the series because I don't want to get too far ahead of the HBO shows, but they're hard to put down!