Question for Runners: Calf cramps/ knots

Options
I have an old ankle injury (shattered the ankle in 2003, had 2 surgeries including plates and pins which have since been removed) but I still haven't regained the flexibilty that I once had in my achilles tendon. For example, I can't touch my knee and my toe to the wall while keeping my heel flat on the ground. Anyway, I tend to favor that ankle despite the fact that it doesn't hurt anymore.
All that to say that when I run I get a knot in my calf and I have a hard time stretching it out because of the lack of flexibility in the ankle. Any suggestions on how to avoid/treat a calf knot that doesn't require a lot of ankle/foot flexibility?
Or even better, any suggestions on how to increase the flexibility in an old injured ankle? lol

TIA!

Replies

• Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    compression socks might help?
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Compression socks would do wonders! And you might try self-myofascial release (foam rolling) it has helped with my calves. Good luck!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    another vote for compression socks. I don't have the severity of ankle issues you have but I do have tendonitis there and I do lose some flexibility as I run, especially with hills or speed. I have found the socks do help.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bump - been getting calf cramps/knots too
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Same exact thing, except I have my pins and plates in still! Compression socks are a lifesaver for me, and orthotic inserts. I worked with a podiatrist on those, so I wouldn't just recommend any arbitrary Dr. Scholl's but that has helped a tremendous amount too.

Number three, and the best advice I ever received was foam rolling, or like Jen called it, self-myofascial release. If you don't have a foam roller, a rolled up yoga mat could work.

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough potassium? (is it a cramp or just stiffness after exercising?)

My foam roller has become one of my best friends too!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I knotted up really bad in my right calf on the last 8 miles of my marathon and compression socks were recommended to me. Also, what is your pre-run diet like? For me I had a banana and protein bar about 5 hours before I started to run but avoided eating anything else before the race due to nerves (1st time doing 26.2) and I think grabbing one more banana before the start might have helped.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am curious too. I broke both my ankles in 2010 and one healed badly.

I have noticed that pushing through the running has made it not cramp up so hard and not stay cramped for so long.

I also put Viks vapor rub on it after I run. I also added a banana to my protein shakes. That seems to help.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hmm, so more potassium and a foam roller. I've been coveting a foam roller since I started running so this just furthers my cause! Thanks everyone!