Running a Race with Tunes...or NOT?

Options

Replies

• ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I train and race with and without music. Depends on the venue for both.
    Some days I feel like I need the music, other days no.

Running in traffic or races I just leave 1 earphone in and one out. best of both worlds.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive run without music, but I enjoy it more with music. I use the Bose In Ear Headphones you can still hear the noise and everything around you, unless you have it cranked all the way up.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of an odd duck, but...

I train hill sprints and HIITS with music (good hard stuff that make yer blood boil), and I train long runs (anything 8 miles or over) with audiobooks. However, when it comes to race day, I *always* listen to music.
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If I'm running alone then I turn on some music or lately the new app Zombies, Run! but when I'm running with friends then usually no tunes, I like to chat or listen to others chatting.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I just did a Rock N Roll race this past weekend and it was SO much fun! Great bands and lots of people out cheering.

Very organized race for 24,000 runner-- highly recommend it!

Sorry, a little OT - which one did you do? I keep seeing the ads in Runners World and they look like a lot of fun (but they all involve travel.....and more $$$)
  • roballesteros
    Options
    I have run two halfs and several 10Ks and have always used my Ipod. I use it during training too but I rarely run on the street, I am usually on a track, treadmill or running path. During races I keep the volume lower because I like to hear the spectators and the races I have run usually have live bands on the course and I like listening to them too. I would say listen to your music during the race if that is what you have done during training, it's no big deal really because the streets are normally closed off for runners.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    On all of my runs and in races, I listen to music, but only wear one headphone. That way I can hear if anyone is approaching me because I run in the mornings. There are some races that prohibit it. Just double check the rules.

Same here. I have the "around the neck" headphones, so it is much easier to have one earphone in and the other out. I train and race this way. One....for safety. Two....I want to hear my feet pounding the pavement and my watch beeping for intervals/lap info. :)
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    I've run a couple 5K and 10K and always used headphones. Worse case, I take one of them out of my ear. I did NOT use music for a dualthon I did a few years ago and it was the worst experience ever. For my 1st half marathon in May, I'm definitely using tunes to get me through!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There were no restrictions for my first 5k so I definitely had tunes. On my most recent 5k (a much bigger event), the organizers discouraged it so I left the ipod at home. Overall, I didn't mind going without the tunes. I felt a little more connected to what was going on around me being able to hear the street sounds and the other racers.
  • jwilson165
    Options
    if your racing, check to see if they allow headphones. all of the tri's i've done dont allow them. i used to run and ride with music but stopped. obviously, i found it dangerous to be on the bike and not being able to hear whats going on around me. same applies to running to a lessor extent. im of the mindset that you should train how you race. i also find it helpful to listen to the rhythm of my feet. easier to tell when its off.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    On all of my runs and in races, I listen to music, but only wear one headphone. That way I can hear if anyone is approaching me because I run in the mornings. There are some races that prohibit it. Just double check the rules.

I do this also... one ear... I can hear my music and everything around me too!
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always have music, but depending on the race I pause it a lot! I ran my first marathon at Disney World last year and did over half without music. There were some long stretches of nothing where I needed my music though.

Sometimes if my mind starts telling me I can't go any longer I turn up the music and make myself tune out everything and just listen. It helps quiet my doubts, especially on the 3 hour+ runs when you think you can't possibly make it any longer!
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    For those that run with tunes, what do you use? I have an iphone, and wouldnt mind running with music, but would be scared about having to fiddle around with it too much, having it fall down, etc. I have an arm band...maybe just play around with that for awhile? I'm nervous that half way through my race I would want to throw it! haha
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The rules are stupid. It's old school. It's like math teachers that don't let you use a calculator. Grow up. Times change. You change with them, or they change without you. My son, in 4th grade, is allowed to use a calculator. But, I know college professors that don't allow it. Idiots.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For those that run with tunes, what do you use? I have an iphone, and wouldnt mind running with music, but would be scared about having to fiddle around with it too much, having it fall down, etc. I have an arm band...maybe just play around with that for awhile? I'm nervous that half way through my race I would want to throw it! haha

I have my iPhone in an armband and I have a running playlist that I just put on shuffle. I don't fiddle with it, they're all songs that I picked so I don't need to fast forward through them. I hit play when I start and hit stop when I'm done. Mine has been very secure and I've had no problems with it at all.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Tunes are illegal in triathlon for safety reasons so I just no go it on running as well.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The rules are stupid. It's old school. It's like math teachers that don't let you use a calculator. Grow up. Times change. You change with them, or they change without you. My son, in 4th grade, is allowed to use a calculator. But, I know college professors that don't allow it. Idiots.

What is? Not allowing music? It's a safety issue. There are many races with only a partially closed course so many governing bodies outlaw it so you can hear what is going on around you or if there are emergency vehicles on course. It's not old school, it's smart.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I train with podcasts when I run alone but I leave the ipod at home for races. If I am racing to my max I need my mind focused on the race and not distracted by noise in my ears.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I train without and race without. I like it that way, it's not for safety reasons.

But, I have occasionally found it annoying when in a race there is someone in front of you who won't give way because they are unaware that you are behind them. I realise that most people keep the volume low or use one ear only but there are some that don't.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

What is? Not allowing music? It's a safety issue. There are many races with only a partially closed course so many governing bodies outlaw it so you can hear what is going on around you or if there are emergency vehicles on course. It's not old school, it's smart.

Cool. We can agree to disagree. Not looking for an argument.