Is it ok to cardio on weight lifting days?

Options

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio when I lift. Usually a warm up on the spin bike or stair climber and I also jump rope periodically through out my workout.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute cardio warmup before weights, then weights, then 20 or so minutes of cardio after (if I'm stiff, I'll also add in stretching after warmup and after weights).

I really feel like the post-weights cardio loosens me back up again after the heavy lifting.

On days I workout, but do not do weights, I do between 45-60 minutes cardio.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Always do cardio after weights... but other then that I do it all the time too.

I can vouch from personal experience that doing a 4 mile run first then lifting makes your muscles laugh at you as you struggle to curl a feather never mind 35 pound dumb bells!

THIS>>>> When I was in college we had swim practice (2 hours of rough cardio) and dry land (usually a 3 miles run) all before weight lifting due to scheduling issues. It was absolutely impossible and awful.
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    absolutely! I now burn 200 calories on the elliptical before my workout and then another 200 after my workout. Doing cardio after your workout is preferred. I read in my Men's Health Book that you can increase strength up to 19% by doing cardio after your workouts. So my suggestion is to always do some cardio after your weight lifting.
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sometimes do both, love those days.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Wait....I have a question. Weights, then cardio? But the poster in the gym says 10-20 min warmup on cardio; 10-20 min of weights, etc, etc.

Do I not need to do a quick warm up first before doing weights? I have to agree, the days that I have done 30 minutes of cardio, my body doesn't seem to want to push as hard on the weights, but I was thinking just 5-10 min of treadmill running, then weights.

Help! I'm confused!

There is a difference between a 10 minute warm up (basically "get your body warm") and 45 minute run (85% max heart rate). Long cardio depletes your body of glycogen, which you need to lift heavy.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    how can people workout on an empty stomach? i get all dizzy and lightheaded if i don't eat first.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I hear that a lot --- that you should do weights, then cardio so you don't get worn out and sacrifice your form -- but I HATE doing it in that order. I don't feel like my form is sacrificed. I do my cardio, cool down a bit and then hit the weight room. I've never had any problems. I think it's mental, but I feel like after I do weights, my workout is over so if I do the weights first, I find myself skimping on cardio.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do 20-30 minutes of cardio then weight lift. I feel my muscles are warmed up perfectly if I do cardio first and I do better at it too. Also I never do high intensity or really long cardio sessions when I lift.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've only been at this a month or so. I used to just do weights and go home. Lately I am so energized after weight training that I go for a 2-3 mile hike afterwards. As a general rule I greatly prefer to do my cardio outdoors. Gym cardio bores me to tears.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Strength => Cardio camp.

I try to do some cardio everyday, but only strength train on alternating days.
    And I never do anything on an empty stomach. I tend to poop out too fast if I go at it hungry.

:)
    Works for me.
    Good luck!
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "There is a difference between a 10 minute warm up (basically "get your body warm") and 45 minute run (85% max heart rate). Long cardio depletes your body of glycogen, which you need to lift heavy."

Yeah, see, I do less cardio on weight training days. I'll do a 20 minute interval run then do weights for 20-30 minutes.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wait....I have a question. Weights, then cardio? But the poster in the gym says 10-20 min warmup on cardio; 10-20 min of weights, etc, etc.

Do I not need to do a quick warm up first before doing weights? I have to agree, the days that I have done 30 minutes of cardio, my body doesn't seem to want to push as hard on the weights, but I was thinking just 5-10 min of treadmill running, then weights.

Help! I'm confused!

hey, I do just an opposite: only 10 minutes of cario to warm up, than weights (30 to 45 in), and for the finish 20 to 30 min HIIT cardio. works for me.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My trainer always has me do a few minutes of cardio before weights to warm up, then strength training. He also says if I can, to do cardio after; your body will burn more calories after the strength training. Though I never have time for it since I work out during my lunch break.
  • jennylsapia
    jennylsapia Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I too am on the weights then cardio boat!! I did it oppisite yesterday (my weights are in my neighbors shop and had to wait till they got home) and I did 15 minutes and could not go anymore...almost threw out my back because doing overhead lifts my back arched from being exhausted from 30ds!!
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Kind of going along with everyone else - yes, you can do both on the same day. Also, doing weights before cardio is recommended, but not completely necessary. Basically it's because your muscles can only use glycogen, so it's best to lift first since that's when glycogen stores are highest. If you do cardio before hand, you deplete these stores a bit, which is why it can be more difficult to lift with proper form, etc. During cardio, you can also burn fat for fuel, not just glycogen. So it would seem that depleting glycogen stores with lifting before cardio would help you burn more fat during your cardio. But, just go with what you feel, and whatever works for you! Either way, a workout program with components of both cardio and lifting are definitely shown to be the best!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For me NO!! I never do cardio on lifting days. You should limit your workouts to about one hour per day to keep your cortisol levels from rising to high and my workouts already range from 50 minutes on cardio days to 50-70 minutes on lifting days and thats with limiting my rest between sets to 1 minute.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    ^

Hell yes!!!! But not the best idea to do HIIT on leg days! When I lift, I love to finish with whatever cardio I can do!
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    It is completely fine...I see a lot of folks have recommended doing weights first to get a better weight workout.

I do my cardio first thing then eat to start my metabolism and fat burning for the day. I wait a few hours and then do weights and still have no issue with my strength building.

Whatever works for you, but yes cardio and weights is a great program.

Enjoy

I also believe cardio can be done in the morning and weights later. I would not do cardio and weights immediately after!
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about HIIT Cardio, I have no idea what it is, time to Google it!