72 hour "no TV" challenge

Options
I find that my biggest down fall to me loosing weight is the TV. After dinner is done, our son is bathed and bedtime routine is done, we are tired and in the habit of crashing on the couch. This is when I snack! I can do well on eating at work and during the day and the this (tv)sabotages everything. So, I'd like help with not watching TV for 3 days. I have so much to do around the house ( chores and hobbys) that I'd like to get around to. Anyone else in? Provide updates Daily about what you did instead of TV.

Replies

• BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Been there.
    However, I got rid of the satellite TV. I do have a Roku after a year of no satellite or antenna. I have a PS3 that I can play games or watch movies on. But I find I watch little TV anymore. I can count on one hand how many hours a week I spend watching TV. IT IS LIBERATING.

But how did I get to that point.

I started making dates with myself, to play my guitar, workout, read a book. Of course when there was nothing on TV, I did watch movies a lot more, but I slowly read more, did more outside, and focused on the stuff I truly enjoy. How many episodes of anything can you watch? And how many times do you need to re-watch NCIS?
    So much more gets done around my house now that I don't sit around the house staring at a bunch of pixels.

So Bravo to you for making a first run! Stick with it, you will be happier.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Blow up your TV; throw away your papers
    Move to the Country; build you a home.
    Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches.
    Try to find Jesus on your own. --John Prine--

I have been trying since January to watch no TV.
    I dont count movies though.
    Cancelled cable and went from 5 TVs to 1.
    Some days or zero minutes, and many are under 30.
  • lisbethmascote
    Options
    i know what you mean i watch tv all day and do nothing but eat. my house is a mess. i want to stop! so now i gotta find a strategy :(
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    just saw this - thinking it is a sign!!!! last night i needed to go for my walk yet but i was watching "The Voice" , so I will go after. Then "Smash" came on, so I will go after. Guess what??? never went!!!! stupid TV!!!

It will be hard, but I agree!! I need to cut/eliminate the stupid TV! I have seen every possible episode of NCIS so I guess I can stop watching :o)

Starting tonight I am cutting out 1.5 hours of evening TV every day and wiill do something, anything else!
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just can't cut out the TV (yet!). The weather just isn't nice enough for long walks outside. That said, I do not watch TV unless I'm walking on my treadmill. Putting the treadmill in direct line of sight has got to be the best thing we've done in years. I grab the remotes and stick them in one of the water bottle holders, pick a show (or two) that I'm dying to see, and then watch guilt free.
  • wwk10
    Options
    I cut cable bc I hate the cable company.
    I had to convince the family Netflix, Hulu etc could still provide our TV needs.

I made a list of shows we could get without cable.
    Then you start thinking, "Could my time be better spent instead of watching American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Parks and Recreation, 15th re run of Wizards of Waverly Place?"
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Cancelled cable and went from 5 TVs to 1.
    5 TVs? How did you manage? How did you find room for them? I've always lived in a 1 TV household and I just can't imagine finding space for an additional TV in our home.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It'll become addicting to not have tv :) You may decide to get rid of it all together. Haven't had it for about 8 years and it's amazing how much time you have for other things without it :)
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I dont have cable or satillite (sp) which is a little crazy! I have apple tv but never watch it. I am alot more active because of it:wink:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I actually prep my breakfast for the next day and do workouts while I watch my dvr'd shows after my husband goes to sleep. It keeps me moving.
  • bookdame
    bookdame Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't have a tv at all. So I've gone a long time without one. Once you start reading, talking to people, playing piano, getting a manicure, listening to music,.... You notice TV isn't that big of a deal. I think most tv shows are pretty boring.

I have netflix on my computer and I've been watching that alot lately because of the rain, but mostly if I want to catch a movie I'll go out to the theatre.

If you feel like you are overdoing television, yes, take the challenge. Its always good to examine behavior that goes overboard. :) Good luck.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am taking this thread as a "sign". Just last night I had a conversation with my fiance about getting rid of Uverse. It's so expensive and we will sit and watch tv all night. There are things i should be doing, but I don't because I'm glued to the TV. We were thinking about switching to the antenna...so we can still get news, but I'm not sure anymore. I'm thinking about cold turkey.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I can't live without tv! It's my back ground noise as well as my entertainment. BUT I do pick my favorite guilty pleasure shows to watch while on the treadmill. I can only watch them while on the treadmill and they have to be addictive. That way i get in at least 40 mins a day on the treadmill or more.

The other thing is a DVR. I can record whatever, go commercial free and get through things I want to see much faster. Also if it's nice out and I want to go for a walk..... I can knowing I can watch it later.

I'm sure I need to cut back on my tv watching but at least I'm trying to use it to my advantage at times too.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my couch, now in front of the TV is a Stair stepping machine and a spin bike. The kids have TV's in their rooms if they want to watch tv, but I have to be on one of my workout items to watch tv.
  • wwk10
    Options
    Time to go home.
    Keep those TVs off.
    Read, walk, talk, clean, cook, write, workout, listen to an album, play a board game, go outside, sit on the porch , , , ,
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a TV but no cable or antenna. Anything that I do watch is over the internet. I can easily go a week or two without plugging in the TV. I work full time and go to school full time so I do not really have much time for it anyway. Add in the gym and there goes my entire day.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Move to Australia. There is nothing worth watching on television here.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Tv is my tool. I workout in front of the tv after the kids are in bed. i'd be bored to tears without some sort of distraction.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching TV years ago, I just ended up finding other things to fill in the time with uselessness....eyes internet.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    No TV for 6 years now. Really not worth my time.
    TV creates demand for unneeded products. Creates dissatisfaction with your own life. Manufactures consent for sexism and the exclusion of "other".
    Free yourself to be yourself.
    You can entertain yourself with friends and family, and if they are not along for the ride interactive entertainment is at least more engaging and can lead to new friendships.
    OK I'm a gamer, but the games raise your heart rate more than TV ever will.
    Also talking books are better background noise which yes I do need esp when cooking/cleaning..