Going back to the gym.. help!

Options
I need some advice really, as the gym I go to is in a school so there isnt really anyone to ask..

But I would really like some advice on what to do at the gym... I am already walking 2hrs a day and jogging every other day and am noticing that I am loosing weight, but I want to get toned at the same time and I am unsure of the best thing to do.

Of course I know I should use weights and I intend to, but should I also be doing cardio at the gym, even though I jog (i only can do 20mins jogging at the moment)

And how long should I be spending on each machine?

Any advice would be really helpful.. - Thank you loooads

I am 5'8 and weigh 208lbs

Claire

Replies

• cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :D
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you want your gym time to do for you? Also any particular areas you are going to focus on? How often are you going and for how long?

If you get me that information, I will ask the trainer in the gym here if she can do you a training plan. I get on reasonably well with her so she might well do.

Failing that, yes you should do cardio if you want to improve your fitness level and if you want to burn fat. Weights alone will not lose you weight (in fact you will probably put on weight). I'd suggest 15-20 minutes on a machine at the start, then weights / weight machines and then another 15-20 minutes. You need to raise your heart rate when on the cardio machines. These people who sit reading a book when they are on the cycling machine are kidding themselves.

To lose weight and tone you need to do low weight high reps. Take a day off after each day exercising so you recover or at the very least, train different muscle groups each consecutive day. Dont forget to do warm up and cool down before hand. I'm lazy and dont and as a result I get pulled muscles now and then.

There are different exercises for different muscle groups, but starting off I'd be tempted to use the weight machines as you are less likely to hurt yourself through bad form. Also do not forget how good regular situps, pressups, the plank and ball work are.

You should spend no more than a couple of minutes on each weight machine. I do 3 lots of 10 reps with 30-60 second break between each set. You want to do more like 20+ at a much lower weight.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    What exactly do you want your gym time to do for you? Also any particular areas you are going to focus on? How often are you going and for how long?

If you get me that information, I will ask the trainer in the gym here if she can do you a training plan. I get on reasonably well with her so she might well do.

Failing that, yes you should do cardio if you want to improve your fitness level and if you want to burn fat. Weights alone will not lose you weight (in fact you will probably put on weight). I'd suggest 15-20 minutes on a machine at the start, then weights / weight machines and then another 15-20 minutes. You need to raise your heart rate when on the cardio machines. These people who sit reading a book when they are on the cycling machine are kidding themselves.

To lose weight and tone you need to do low weight high reps. Take a day off after each day exercising so you recover or at the very least, train different muscle groups each consecutive day. Dont forget to do warm up and cool down before hand. I'm lazy and dont and as a result I get pulled muscles now and then.

There are different exercises for different muscle groups, but starting off I'd be tempted to use the weight machines as you are less likely to hurt yourself through bad form. Also do not forget how good regular situps, pressups, the plank and ball work are.

You should spend no more than a couple of minutes on each weight machine. I do 3 lots of 10 reps with 30-60 second break between each set. You want to do more like 20+ at a much lower weight.

No, just no. First of all, you lose weight through a caloric deficit. It's best to do that through your diet. You may add some water weight initially when strength training (increased glycogen stored in muscles for repair, which is hydrophilic) but that will go away after your body adapts to the new program. This also why many women feel like they get "bulkier" when they start lifting.

Low weights/high reps is effective for increasing muscular endurance but if you want to "tone", you need to lift heavy weights/low reps. You have to put stress on the muscles to cause them to grow.

OP, concentrate on compound lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead press, lat pulldown/pullups). There are many good starting programs. Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting For Women. Although I never did NROLFW, I highly recommend that women read it because it makes you rethink the approach most women take (and the above poster recommended).
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I'm 5'8
    SW 248
    CW 196
    GW 170
    I do a combination of 4 miles on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the bike (trying to tone my thighs) every other day. On alternate days I use kettle bells which gives you strength training and cardio combined. This is working for me, but it is best to meet with a personal trainer to help you with your specific body issues.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    OP, concentrate on compound lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead press, lat pulldown/pullups). There are many good starting programs. Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting For Women. Although I never did NROLFW, I highly recommend that women read it because it makes you rethink the approach most women take (and the above poster recommended).

this is excellent advice.
    it is hard work, and hard work will yield the results you seek. also, you will likely feel like a bad *kitten*, which is also cool.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No, just no. First of all, you lose weight through a caloric deficit. It's best to do that through your diet. You may add some water weight initially when strength training (increased glycogen stored in muscles for repair, which is hydrophilic) but that will go away after your body adapts to the new program. This also why many women feel like they get "bulkier" when they start lifting.

Low weights/high reps is effective for increasing muscular endurance but if you want to "tone", you need to lift heavy weights/low reps. You have to put stress on the muscles to cause them to grow.

This is exactly right.

Some people love cardio so keep doing what you love - but in order to really change your body composition you need to lift weights. High reps/low weight is just spinning your wheels. You need to challenge your muscles in order for them to get stronger and work around the clock burning calories (more food FTW!)

Compound lifts are your best friend and are the fastest, surest way to fitness. Google videos for form if you can't have someone spot-check you.

Lifting is fun!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Agree absolutely. I started with New Rules of lifting for women. The book does an excellent job of explaining the rationale of lifting heavy, compound lifts, avoid machines. I'm now following Stronglifts and work exclusively with the barbell. After only a month of lifting with no prior experience I can squat 90 lbs and deadlift 105
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. A great book to start for females and encourages heavy lifting. :smile:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting For Women is a fantastic resource! I loved reading the book. I can't wait to get started using the program! The only reason I haven't yet is because I'm busy training for a 5k right now. Best to stick with 1 thing... I'm trying to talk my BF into getting the New Rules of Lifting for himself, because I think it matches his goals. But he's so resistant to my advice anymore...

Lifting heavy weights is AWESOME! Nothing makes me feel better than beasting out some 235 lbs leg presses. I love the powerful feeling I get after a lift. I focus on compound movements, but I'm still wimpy and using machines. The machines help keep the weights moving in the right track, but it's not as effective as free weights. As I said. I'm really looking forward to starting the NROL4W!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. A great book to start for females and encourages heavy lifting. :smile:

This!!!! It will tell you exactly what to do at the gym and with pictures. I love this book!!!! No need for expensive trainer unless you need one or two sessions to learn proper form.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Weights alone will not lose you weight (in fact you will probably put on weight).

Yet I have managed to successfully lose weight and get to my goal through ONLY lifting weights. Yes, I walk everywhere, about an hour a day on average as part of my daily activity, but no specific cardio. I use a calorie deficit with my food to lose weight, and lift for fun, to gain strength and get extra food.
    To lose weight and tone you need to do low weight high reps.

This is a myth so often floating about, and is completely wrong. All high reps really do is increase endurance. You can get "toned" with lifting heavy. My lifting I mentioned in the quote above is all heavy and low reps. I've done this for ages, and it works! Not just for me, but for several other people (men and women)
    [/quote]

To the OP, lots of people have mentioned "the new rules of lifting for women" I've seen many a success story from people following that program so it might be something to look into. Don't be afraid to lift heavy, it really does give great results! Especially using compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press etc)
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options