nerd girl or geeky girl?

Options

Replies

• JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    To me nerd is more of a gamer, dungeons and dragons type. Geeks are the math, science and computer programmer types.
    I like to think that I'm both.

Interesting, in the past it was exactly the opposite.

It just proves we should never allow ourselves to be defined by what others call us since evidently we may have no idea what they mean . . .
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    To me nerd is more of a gamer, dungeons and dragons type. Geeks are the math, science and computer programmer types.
    I like to think that I'm both.

Interesting, in the past it was exactly the opposite.

It just proves we should never allow ourselves to be defined by what others call us since evidently we may have no idea what they mean . . .

I guess I'm just backwards since the consensus seem to be the other way around!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Geek. Definitely geek.

Watch The Big Bang Theory.

Sheldon is a nerd.

Leonard is a geek.

I like this definition. I think the fine line is definitely drawn at the level of social skills one has.

Also, this:
    Nerd_Dork_Geek_Dweeb.png
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Actually... On my campus (and in my group of friends) it's cooler to be a nerd than a geek. And the whole chart thing about the room comparisons? If you flip that around, that what our definition sorta looks like. The nerds look cooler than the geeks, the geeks will always be cooler than the hipsters. Honestly, I don't care which one a person is...but hipsters drive me nuts. ^_^
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Screenshot10_1.jpg
    TheAnatomyofNerdsGeeks_4e777b339de8a_w587.jpg
    love this!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I never really understood the difference if I am honest, but I think nerd is supposed to be more of an insulting term than geek.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Geek. Definitely geek.

Sheldon is a nerd.

Leonard is a geek.

I like this definition. I think the fine line is definitely drawn at the level of social skills one has.

Also, this:
    Nerd_Dork_Geek_Dweeb.png

Use this chart, lol.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options

i thought i was socially impaired?

Naaaah. There's hope for you yet!
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    I never really understood the difference if I am honest, but I think nerd is supposed to be more of an insulting term than geek.

Depend on where you are. Here, geek is more insulting than nerd.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Geek. Definitely geek.

Sheldon is a nerd.

Leonard is a geek.

Also, this:
    Nerd_Dork_Geek_Dweeb.png
    I am apparently a giant nerd.
    Giant because I'm 5'10"
    Nerd because, according to this chart, that's where I belong.
  • GCNerd
    GCNerd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've always thoughts Nerds were the ones who has social skills and it was the geeks who were basement dwellers.

Oh well, my username gives it away -- I'm a nerd. :P
  • dammions7
    Options
    I am a BLERD.....(black nerd)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    i thought i had the definitions down but i keep getting argued with...

which is what? i feel the need to define myself.

Beats me. I like em both though. lol :love:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    To me "geek" is a mainstream version. it is popular to be a geek. You can be a Firefly fan, Star Trek fan, collect Star Wars figures, etc and that makes you a geek. it's like having a "non-mainstream" niche.

To be a nerd would almost like being functionally autistic. They work better with their specialized field alone. They are socially awkward to an extreme. I have known true nerds. Fantastic people, but they make me sad. We'd be lost without them.

So that explains why the government labeled me as mentally handicapped. Oh well, back to my imaginary adventure of slaying dragons.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was a band geek. But I'm also kind of a nerd. Not socially awkward at all, but love things like grammar and politics for fun...
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Screenshot10_1.jpg
    TheAnatomyofNerdsGeeks_4e777b339de8a_w587.jpg
    love this!

based on this...geek
  • dammions7
    Options
    It doesn't matter, they are both women, they should be making me a sandwich.

I almost spit up laughing so hard
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    A nerd is someone super duper smart. A geek is a weirdo. I am both...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    These are slang terms, with inconsistent popular usage--so use whatever label you like. That said, according to Webster:

Nerd:
    an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits.

Geek:
    1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
    2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
    3 : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity <computer geek>

I've claimed both, although I prefer geek. Now if I could only get people to stop telling me I'm not a geek.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Also, this:
    Nerd_Dork_Geek_Dweeb.png
    I am apparently a giant nerd.
    Giant because I'm 5'10"
    Nerd because, according to this chart, that's where I belong.

Nothing wrong with that! I shift depending on my mood and the situation.

I don't think any of these is a negative thing, really. I like weirdos of all kinds.