Too much protein?

Options
derra99
derra99 Posts: 54 Member
I ALWAYS go over my suggested protein number. Is this bad? Does too much protein in your diet hinder your ability to lose weight?

Replies

• Inneedofchangein2012
    Options
    Going over on protein and fiber is NEVER a bad thing......that is what your diet should consist of.....it helps to keep you regular and holds you longe in between meals.

Keep up the great work.....you are doing Fantastic!!!

Diana
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP has protein set too low, in my opinion. You can always change your macro goals in the Goals section of the My Home tab.
  • jafy23
    jafy23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i'm alwasy over mine too. chicken is my favorite food so i go over all the time dont sweat it!
  • devinbugland
    Options
    I tend to go over my protein more often than not, yet I still manage weight loss at the scale every week. so relax & enjoy
  • helloliss
    helloliss Posts: 43
    Options
    For me is the same :) I don't think that having extra protein can hurt you as long you keep you calories in control :D
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Protein intake should be based on your lean muscle mass.

For example: If I weigh 165lbs and I have 14% body fat, my lean muscle mass is 165X.86 = 142.

So I should take in around 142 grams of protein per day to fully recover and gain lean muscle from exercise. If you are however on a low carb diet, it is suggested that you take in higher amounts of protein 10-15% more.

Good luck!