How to Breathe Correctly While Runnig??

Options
I have been running for a couple of months now and love it! Since then, I have been doing some research on tips and advice on running. I have heard some say that you need to focus on your breathing. What is the best way to breathe while running? Any tips you have would be awesome!!

My goal is to run a 5K this Spring. So far I am able to run nonstop for 2.3 miles at a 6.0-6.5 pace.

Thanks and best of luck to all my MFP buddies!! :)

Replies

• DMRun
    DMRun Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't think there is any 'right' answer to this...but here's what worked for me -

I find that if my breathing is too laboured and short - I'm going too fast. So it's best to 'find your happy pace' and so that you can really focus on the breathing. Once you do this, you can build up from there. I use a run/walk method and I have found that this does help. I find that the first couple of run intervals are always the hardest - so when it's walk time I really focus on getting my breathing under control, then start easy again on the next run interval. Once I'm warmed up, the breathing while running comes so much more naturally. The best tip I got when learning to run was to use your diaphragm when breathing. When you breathe with your diaphragm - you are really taking the air in.

Try taking some deep breaths before you start - just to 'open' your lungs - then as you're running pay attention to your foot strikes as you focus on breathing. Soon you will find the breathing rythym that fits you :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM to monitor where my heart rate is. If I feel like it's getting too high (before my breathing gets too heavy), I slow it down and deep breathe in through my nose and out my mouth, two beats in, two beats out. My heart rate will start to drop right away.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is useful information, thanks!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I find that if my breathing is too laboured and short - I'm going too fast. So it's best to 'find your happy pace' and so that you can really focus on the breathing. Once you do this, you can build up from there. I use a run/walk method and I have found that this does help. I find that the first couple of run intervals are always the hardest - so when it's walk time I really focus on getting my breathing under control, then start easy again on the next run interval.
    I run/walk also. When running at a normal pace (for me around 6 - 6.5 MPH), I usually breathe in for two steps, out for two steps. To help get my heart rate back down during my walk intervals, I might take deep breaths with my arms over my head. Deep breaths really help to lower my heart rate more quickly.

Lately, I've been focusing on running with my heart rate in Zone 3, the aerobic zone, to help improve my cardiovascular system and my body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, my working muscles. I'm still at the point where I walk more than run to keep it there but supposedly I'll be able to run faster as I progress. My goal is to lower my overall heart rate at my regular running speed which, to bring this back to the point, will help make my breathing even easier.
  • DMRun
    DMRun Posts: 25
    Options
    This is OT - but SuelnAz - you and I ran the same race!! I took part in the Neverland 5K before I did the Tink 1/2 - it was a great weekend :)
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my second marathon I came across an article on breathing that suggested inhaling for three strides and exhaling for two. Sometimes w/o even realizing it you push off harder on an inhale and if you breath in for two and out for two it's an even number and you're always powering through on the same leg. If you change that up and to an odd number, in three out two, you're pushing off on each leg evenly. It can help w fatigue/strain/injury in your dominant leg.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips!
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've heard what Hilary75 wrote and it's pretty effective for me. My gym trainer says for you to inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Concentrating on breathing sometimes makes it more difficult for me but, apparently, if you control your breathing you will be able to breath better, get oxygen throughout your body, and control your heartrate.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Good topic

I wonder this whilst out running, and find it harder to breathe in colder weather. My lungs feel more restricted

I try to breathe in through the nose and out of the mouth, but when the going gets tough I have to breathe solely through my mouth
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Good topic

I wonder this whilst out running, and find it harder to breathe in colder weather. My lungs feel more restricted

I try to breathe in through the nose and out of the mouth, but when the going gets tough I have to breathe solely through my mouth
    I've heard it really doesn't matter which you do. I usually try in through the nose because it's really dry here and I get parched faster when I breathe through my mouth, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. The most important thing, I think, is that if you're gasping for air, you should slow down.
    This is OT - but SuelnAz - you and I ran the same race!! I took part in the Neverland 5K before I did the Tink 1/2 - it was a great weekend :)
    I had a blast that weekend. I only ran the 5K because by the time I realized I might be ready to run a half marathon in August, it was already sold out. My sister did both, though. I loved, loved, loved running through the park at night and through the backlot areas we don't normally get to see.
  • yogagirl1111
    yogagirl1111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I personally try and breath entirely in and out my nose(mouth closed) the whole time I'm running. To me, it means I'm fit.
  • ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My sister is a physical therapist and a triathalete and she says its actually bad to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth while running. When running you need more oxygen so you should breathe through your mouth. She tells people to do the breathe in 2 strides breathe out for 3-4. The exhale is very important to make sure you exhale more carbon dioxide.

But Im sure any way you breathe is fine as long as you dont feel like youre gonna die. LOL
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I actually breath in and out through both my nose and mouth at the same time... and when I'm going fast it's in for 2 steps out for 2 steps, but when I'm running in an aerobic zone I can sustain in for 3 and out for 3... sometimes even slow it down further for a few paces to slow my HR when recovering from a hill or whatever.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for the good advice ladies :)
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i read that when you breathe out through your mouth you're supposed to purse your lips a bit to ease / prevent any side cramping.

sounds weird but it does work!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try some of these ideas.
    I think I push to hard and then really have trouble breathing. I don't have any trouble breathing when I swim or bike..... but for some reason I have a lot of trouble with running.
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    a good rule of thumb for your training runs (non race pace) is to be able to have a conversation. this works if you are running with someone i typically sing along to what ever is on my ipod also you need to breathe through the mouth otherwise you will not get enough oxygen. as stated before if you a breathing too heavy or short breathes you are going to fst or working to hard. speed will come work on completeing the ful 3.1 miles with out stopping your endurance and speed will come. the trick to training espically for long runs is putting time on your legs to not only build up stamina but also strength. you may also want to incorporate both hill and track work. for hills try and find a course with a .25 mile hill, run hard up it and jog down repeat 5 to times. track work is where you can work on your speed. start out doing .25 mile repeats. run a .25 as hard as you can jog or walk another .25 mile. work your way up a full mile.

also, try looking for running groups in your area. it s better to run with a group. you will be amazed how fr you can go with out stopping. also you can learn other tips and tricks from some of the more experienced runners.

congrats on finding the joy of running.

easy/smooth/lite/fast
  • Elle_45
    Elle_45 Posts: 43
    Options
    I just started a training class today and asked the trainer the same question. She told me that moth breathing was better.
    I'm glad you started this topic, I have a few new ideas to try.