Sugar is destryoying my diet! Help!

Options
I'm new here, and I finally figured out that Sugar is destroying the hard work I am trying to do here! My preset's didn't have Sugar in them when I first started, so I was thinking I was doing really good, when in reality, I was sometiems eating 3-4x as much sugar as I am allotted.

I know some people will knock it, but I've gone back on Slim fast breakfasts... with ice and a banana they are yummy and really keep me full all morning. But now, I see that just the shake and HALF a banana is putting me over my sugar for the DAY!

Anyone have ideas on EASY breakfasts/snacks/lunches that are low in Sugar?

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to post the exact same question!!! How on earth am I supposed to eat that few grams of sugar and still have my calories for the day? I have been under on my calories but over, extremely over on my sugar!!
  • jamiesbeach
    Options
    Try the Quantum Wellness Cleanse. It's a book by Kathy Freston. Its a 21 day cleanse with no sugar (along with other things) and its a 21 day cleanse that go's day by day with recipes and everything.
    soooooooo good!
    Once your done that 21 day cleanse you will be right back on track with a healthy lifestyle.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    This does not take much time and is high in protein and fiber
    1 Thomas's Wheat lite english muffin (split and toasted)
    2. 1/4 cup of South western eggbeaters You may want more than 1/4 cup (nuke 11/2 minutes)
    3. one slice of fat free cheese
    It makes a good egg muffin
    I also eat activa yogart with grapenut cereal mixed in it.
    My problem is cake and cookies
    I so not have to worry about sugar. So I concentrate on calories
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    woah! :noway: thanks for bringing this up! i normally track cals, fat, protein, sodium and fiber. i just changed fiber to sugar and i am 100+ over for the day (everything is already logged). however, i am losing so i am not sure what to do!!! man-o-man, what a wake up! :ohwell:
  • gc2052
    Options
    Question: When you say sugar are you talking Carbs?
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    Question: When you say sugar are you talking Carbs?

if you go to 'settings' you can go to 'diary settings' and add additional things to track. i THINK mfp starts you with 3 or 4 but you can track up to 5.

i believe it is tracking the amount of sugar you consume a day, so it is seperate from the carbs column, but since carbs do come from sugar, it tracks the amount of sugar you consume. it only allows like 28gs per day for me, and i am way past that.

maybe banks/boss will have some imput :flowerforyou:
  • gc2052
    Options
    OMG: Just checked out how much sugar I was eating. TOO much like the rest of you. Only have seven grams left and I have not had lunch.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    im confused by this too, because fruit has good sugars in it. and you're supposed to eat lots of fruit/veggies. i wonder if MFP is incorrect on the sugar amounts... :wink:
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No I am over on my carbs as well, but not nearly as much as I go over on my sugar! I was at like 138 g of Sugar yesterday! I have really really cut back on soda, but I haven't been able to go cold turkey yet! But I will soon! I am down to 1 mtn dew a day. (It's my worst vice!) But there were days when I would drink a 6 pack! Grrrr!

But is Sugar something I need to worry about, or should I focus more on the Cals, Carbs, Fats and Fiber?
  • JessiJean
    Options
    Most of my sugars are from my fruits and veggies also. I am alotted 24 grams a day, but one of my healthy choice meals had 25 grams of sugar!!!! :noway:
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    mine has been WAY over also, due to the milk and grapes...even fat free milk has 12 gr of sugar!

Com'on banks tell us eager learners what to do!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    That's natural sugar though, not refined crap. I wouldn't count that-unless you totally overdo the fruit! It's the bad sugars I would worry about-that's my downfall for sure! I've gone only 6 days this month without eating bad refined sugars, like candy. (my newest addiction, chewy candy) when I read. Let's do some kind of challenge to keep each focused on cutting back on the bad sugars. CAUSE I NEED HELP!:grumble:
  • JessiJean
    Options
    I am up for the challenge!!!! :explode:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    YIKES........ me too! :noway: :grumble:

I do fine on calories etc. but dang sugar shows up everywhere!
    And the summer fruits are so deee-lish right now!!

So to balance that I eat more non-sugar items like
    brown rice, eggs, poultry & veggies...... even for breakfast!

Welcome & Good Luck! :drinker:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Most of my sugars are from my fruits and veggies also. I am alotted 24 grams a day, but one of my healthy choice meals had 25 grams of sugar!!!! :noway:

I would question how healthy that healthy choice meal really is if it contains that much sugar. It doesn't taste sweet either does it? Usually those meals replace the fat with the sugar. So that they can say it's "low fat" and people will usually fall for it. Fat is not the enemy! I rather have the full fat version of something rather than the processed version. Also eat less processed packaged meals and more whole foods. Eat less yogurts with fruit in them (20+ grams of sugar a pop). Any sugary cereals, etc etc.
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I too look forward to see what Banks has to say - but until then...

I also panicked when I added sugar to my diary. I was tracking sodium, but never get even close to that limit, so I switched to tracking sugar. After the inital shock, I researched more about a more reasonable goal for sugar. Unless you have a medical issue, it seems that it is added sugar that the experts are concerned about, not the natural sugars in fruit. However to make sure I don't overdo on the natural sugars, I changed my sugar goal to 70. That allows for 1-2 servings of fruit, and then a limited amount in other foods. So far It seems to be working for me.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For breakfast:

I eat 1 egg (scrambled /friedwith pam or hard-boiled), 3 slices of Oscar Meyer ready to serve bacon, one slice of whole wheat low carb toast with 'I can't believe it's not butter' and sugar free Orange Marmalade, and 1 cup of melon (honey dew or cantelope). Could also substitute berries or nectarine. This is 258 calories, 27 carbs, 12 fat, 16 protein and 14 sugar and 472 sodium.

Sometimes I have a peanut butter sandwich with fruit - 2 slices of whole wheat low carb bread, reduced fat Peanut Butter (natural would be even better), sugar free Marmalade and melon. This is 255 calories, 36 carbs, 9 fat, 15 protein, 7 sugar and 465 sodium.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over on sugar A LOT but still managed to drop 40lbs, now I know I go over in sugar but just try to keep those sugars as things like breads versus things like candy and it works for me...with a candy bar thrown in during the week of course being that I am such a candy fiend! :laugh:
  • samantha115
    samantha115 Posts: 371
    Options
    So I was looking at my sugar. it seems that the only time I go over in my sugar is when I snack. Damn those tasty tasty snacks. Oh there is the occasional orange juice. I must quit that also I guess. its simply orange so.....maybe....Im not going to give it up. Ill just drink less. I love orange juice

Youre more than welocme to look at my diary if you would like. Just not the snack part. Ok Ok I guess.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help or not, but I never even look at the amount of sugar I intake a day

I just try to eat clean whole foods

My carbs are generally from whole grains, fruit, veggies. Just try to watch out for processed foods and eat clean.

certain fruits are high in sugar, but fruits are good for you....don't stop eating them, but don't eat 10 bananas a day