Washing hair?

Options
NurseandMom1981
NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
Ok so I have this problem. Everytime I workout I sweat like nothing else. I am usually covered head to toe in sweat. Ive been trying to workout 2 times a day. I wash my hair everytime I shower which has been 3x's lately because Ive increased my exercise now my hair is so dry and frizzy. If I dont however it looks awful and smells bad too. How do you keep your hair mainatained while working out twice daily.

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I used to swim. A lot. Mine was like straw, but a good conditioner can help.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I work out once a day in the afternoon. I shower in the morning before work and then when I get home from the gym. I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle to condition and my hair, which is very fine, doesn't get dried out.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I came across this yesterday and am considering it: http://saveyourdo.com/

The reviews seem to be pretty good, but I'd love to see some videos of women taking the hair band/wrap off right after a workout! lol
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There are powders you can get for in between shampoos. I only wash my hair every second shower. On the off day, I just keep it in a ponytail.
  • sherri33s
    sherri33s Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i dont wash my hair everday When grease looking I put baby powders on my hair and comb through It will take grease and oil out They also make dry shampoo But powders are cheaper and works just as good:smile:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't "wash" my hair after every workout. I tend to only shampoo my hair maybe twice a week, BUT I condition my hair everytime I shower. I have naturally curly (READ: DRY/FRIZZY) hair. I use Dove daily moisture conditioner each and everytime. It leaves my hair shiny and nourished.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair maybe every other day to keep it nice and soft (don't worry, I bathe daily haha). I brush my hair out and let the sweat dry (I know gross), and then later on use a dry shampoo so it's not gross. I've also developed quite a few cute "you'd never know my hair is dirty" hair styles for my non-wash days haha
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I was thinking about this today!!

I normally wash it after each gym sesh but last night I spent a while drying and straightening it

So today I tied it in pigtails and tried to keep near the fans so it wouldn't go curly/get sweaty

I refuse to do all that again!!
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fleabert18
    Options
    I have a lot of super frizzy hair and I swim for some of my cardio. I find that if I shower twice I only rinse and condition the second time. Also, I'll apply a deep conditioning treatment twice a week before a workout or swim and it keeps things more manageable.
  • wmathis1145
    Options
    I wash my hair daily and it gets frizzy too. I use a product called It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Conditioner. I spray it on after my hair dries and finger comb it and it takes the frizz away! It also has tons of amino acids and other good stuff for you hair in it that keep it healthy. It is medium priced (about $30 for a large bottle that lasts me about a month). You can get it at most salons (including a Wal-Mart salon --- which is probably cheapest) or I order it online from Amazon.com and have it shipped. I just had my hair done yesterday at the salon and she asked me if I wash my hair daily. I explained that I go to the gym almost every day and that I get too sweaty not to. She said it seemed too healthy for me to have been doing this and then I told her that I put that product in every day and she said that was it. That is one of the best products out there for your hair....frizzy or not. It is a lifesaver! I promise once you try it you will never go back!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't workout twice a day, just once in the afternoons.
    I shower in the morning and wash my hair, then shower in the evening without washing my hair.
    What may be useful is a "cleansing" conditioner or using your conditioner as a shampoo.
    I've used Hair One from Sally Beauty supply, which is modeled after Wen hair products, but when I run out and things are a bit tight, I just use my usual conditioner and scrub the heck out of my roots. Hair is happy and good to go. Saves your color, too.

A note on using Hair One, as much as my hair loves it, it tends to build up on the scalp so I'll switch off washing with shampoo and conditioner and using the Hair One. It really helps maintain my hair color and keeps the frizzies at bay.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There are a few things you can do. First of all, you don't have to use shampoo every time you shower, you can just rinse your hair. If this leaves your hair feeling greasy when it dries, you can use a dry shampoo. I have one by TIGI that I really like, smells kinda nice and works well. If you insist on using shampoo every time, you can try Matrix Biolage Leave in Tonic after your shower to help condition your hair and help prevent dryness and frizziness. Hope this helps!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    These are common steps given for those of us with curly hair, because to keep nicely formed curls and avoid frizz, we have to pamper and moisturize. As long as you don't have naturally oily hair, they should help get yours back into shape after being washed so often.
    First, switch to a gentle shampoo. Optimistically, you're going to look for one that is so gentle, it does not lather, meaning it is detergent free. You can find these at natural stores, or sometimes walmart carries an organic brand that falls under that catagory.You want to avoid harsh sulfates that dry your hair out (ammonium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, ect) . Second, read up on co-washing. It's basically using conditioner to wash your hair, scrub it nice and good and give it a good rinse. Slow down to only using shampoo every other day at the most. I use a product called nuetral protein filler whenever mine gets overly dry (and since I constantly dye it silly colors, this happens often), it makes a world of difference.
    I workout daily, and find that as long as I rinse my hair out well, it's not gross without actually washing it.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 times a week and wash my hair every other day or so. After a workout, I take my hair down and let it dry completely, then use dry shampoo before bed and again in the morning. Style as normal. Works for me!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've learned to suck it up and have dirty hair sometimes. I'm a student and a coach so having super clean hair isn't always necessary...

I'd rather have a hot body over a hot head of hair. And it makes it super pretty when I go out and actually put a little effort.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i'm fifty now and i have real long hair not short at all it would kill my hair to wash it every day even after a work out it it still looks good(loseing all the natural oils because I'm ageing)and(i'm not at that point were i'm dripping sweat) i need to update my photo
  • Holleyisme2
    Options
    Here's what I do and it works pretty well. My head is also pretty wet after a workout. After I cool down (or shower), I blow dry the wetness out of my hair and usually it's the side of your head (by your ears) and lower neck that may look greasy still. I sprinkle baby powder and sort of lightly rub it in...it absorbs the grease instantly!! Let me know if you try and it works for you.
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks I plan to try several of these things. I am so in love with my shower and the clean feeling i have after washing my hair Im gonna have to really work at not washing so much. My job is very up close and personal as I am a nurse so hygiene is very important to me. I refuse to let my appearance suffer just to workout. There has to be a compromise and I think some of these suggestions are gonna be the trick. Thanks so much for all your imput Ill start trying them tonight after I workout.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I shower after every workout, just not wash my hair.

Bumble&Brown makes great dry shampoo for different hair colors. You can get it via Sephora.