I don't understand "cheat days"

Options
I see posts about "cheat days" on the boards quite often and don't understand why so much "heart burn" about this topic. My theory would be why have them or designate any meal or day or time to "cheat?" Why deprive yourself of something that you like, or would like to eat at a certain time, whether it is tonight at dinner, or this weekend at a party?

By making wise choices in general, having something with extra calories periodically shouldn't really make much difference. Additionally, exercise should help compensate for the taking in of additional calories. You can also do an extra 10 minutes at the gym or another lap around the neighborhood, which to me seems pretty simply.

"Cheat days" just sounds so dirty to me, and counterproductive to trying to live a healthier lifestyle with better choices, and a generally different outlook. Not about how we can "cheat" or "trick" ourselves with food. Exercise, eat well and enjoy the things you like….in moderation. Simple!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I call mine Free Days- because sometimes I get sick of measuring and logging every bite of food. Some days I just want to relax.

Most exercise plans that are longer than a month or two have cheat days or 'eat anything' days worked into them.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I tend to agree with you, OP. I've adjust how I eat, and I pay attention to what I put in my mouth, and I exercise nearly every day, but I've never felt deprived. I still indulge in the things that I want to within reason, and I try to be as honest about logging what I consume every day, so there's no need for guilt.

Now, maybe that will change when I lose more weight and my calorie allowance goes down, but I doubt it. Maybe it's because I've always loved veggies and drinking water. Who knows? But I think it's very possible to eat well, and enjoy what you consume, even when you're mindful of what that is.

Heck, if nothing else, even disregarding the inches gone and the weight lost, I've found wonderful new and healthy things to cook!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't do cheat days. If I know I am going out, or to a party. Then I will adjust the rest of the day to make sure I am at a reasonable amount.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is unnecessary bickering. A lot of that bickering is caused because people define "cheating" differently,. Some people do fine in moderation, some cannot have even a little or they have to have more, and some like to treat themselves on special occasions. Many people call "cheat" meals a meal that they don't consider healthy, which I don't get at all. If you're eating within your calorie goals and macros, what's the cheat part?

Basically, everyone has different methods/preferences that are successful for them. Why does someone else care? I can see someone showing concern if a person chronically undereats, or even expressing concern if the person never eats anything healthy at all. But why does someone care if another person says they have a "cheat" meal or day or whatever? People define it differently. Why is a free day where a person doesn't log not okay if they're losing? Or whatever.

I don't like people coming in telling me what to do when it is only a *preference* and what works for them rather than having some scientific basis for what they are saying. Moderation works for you and you work a treat into your day every day because you want to have something exactly when you want it? Great! Do it! But don't assume that's the only way people are going to be successful. I maintain a steady *weekly* deficit. I save most of my "treats" for Saturday when I eat far above my maintenance. I like having that one day. I feel better when I *don't* have "treats" daily and instead have one day where I eat whatever I want. So find what preference works for you and go with it, regardless of what other people are doing or saying.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree! Don't really understand the concept either. I think if your going to eat better, your going to eat better all the time. I am a little on the OCD side anyway and I have trouble thinking about eating normal. I'm taking this as a lifestyle change.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think some people like the dirty sounding name. Some people like to break the rules.
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think some people like the dirty sounding name. Some people like to break the rules.

=)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Cheat days is something that was born of programs. The first time I heard of it was out of a book written by Bill Philips in the 80's called "Body for Life". I believe that book changed fitness forever. But, in it, Bill talks about the importance of cheat days. i don't think he goes into the science of it., but more of the psychological factors of it. He's also not too specific, but he does say, "don't go crazy. But, if you want to eat pizza, eat pizza." Since then, many programs have imcorporated cheat days. So, it's kind of become a thing with people that diet to have a cheat day over the weekend. For me, it's purely phsycological. For instance, I can't normally eat ice cream, like a bowl of it with chocolate sauce and maybe some sprinkles. But, on cheat day I can. And, I'll tell you what, it doesn't seem to affect anything. I still hit my goals in weight loss and strength.

So, I say if it works for you, do it. If it freaks you out, then don't do it. But, the question is more about where it came from. I've answered to the best of my ability.

There are many ways to do this, if you want to incorporate cheat days or cheat meals. I think living life stoically, sets people up to fail, and thus the cheat day gives us all an out. I am a big fan because I like parties or being social and doing stuff, and everything always revolves around food and alcohol. So, if it's a friends birthday at a restaurant on Saturday, I'll make that my cheat day, so that I can enjoy and not be such a food prude on a night that's supposed to be fun. Again, it doesn't mean you have to pig out and be ridiculous about it, it just means that while you can eat light and be aware, you can also enjoy some cheesy bread with everyone else, and have a few margaritas with your friends and have a fun time without being a dork about it all. At least, that's my POV.

Again, it's just my $.02. If you dont' agree, then that's fine by me. It's not for everyone. Also, if I did it, and I saw that my weight was not going down each wekk as I expected, I cut it out or down or modify it somehow. So, it just depends. It also depends on where you are in your fitness and weght loss journey. For some people, it might be a little careless and dangerous and could cause them to slip back into a bad habit they were trying to break. That's not my case, so I'm fine with it.
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I leave my treats to the weekend and I call it my cheat day but as i try to stay within an extra 500 cals (ie my maintenance) I'm prob not technically cheating but I find I can stay away from the chocolate and the less healthier food if I know I can have some at the weekend. It's working for me at the minute so I'm not going to change anything unless I hit a plateau.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day, because I didn't get the concept behind it. But after reading some of the previous posts, I have a better understanding of the what and why.

For me, I don't feel I need a "cheat day" because I just incorporate my favorite treats into my week. Generally on my run days when I have more calories, but not always. The word "cheat" just seems so negative, like you are doing something wrong or something you shouldn't be doing.

But I love that one of the previous posters calls it a "free day." That sounds more liberating and fun. And I like the thought of a day without weighing and measuring nearly every bite. That I could get behind! :flowerforyou:
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day, because I didn't get the concept behind it. But after reading some of the previous posts, I have a better understanding of the what and why.

For me, I don't feel I need a "cheat day" because I just incorporate my favorite treats into my week. Generally on my run days when I have more calories, but not always. The word "cheat" just seems so negative, like you are doing something wrong or something you shouldn't be doing.

But I love that one of the previous posters calls it a "free day." That sounds more liberating and fun. And I like the thought of a day without weighing and measuring nearly every bite. That I could get behind! :flowerforyou:

I like your take on this, and share your sentiments.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think cheat days or eating what you like in moderation is generally best suited to individual needs and desires. If you are working out for a contest, meet, event, and etc. I suggest near 0 cheating!!

My personal preference is to have my favorite juicy burger and a sweet treat on what I call my cheat day. Basically its my eat anything I want in normal portions day for me that is Friday or Saturday.

For me I find if I eat anything I want whenever I want the result is usually me going over either my sugar, calorie, or sodium count per day. Regardless I never suggest depriving yourself of those "vices" weekly. For example if you love donuts you SHOULD have at least 1 per week. If you deprive yourself of that indulgence altogether, when you do "give in to your desires" you'll probably eat 6 - 12 donuts instead of 1 - 2.

All in all there is no ONE way to have your indulgence. Whatever your indulgence is just have it in a normal portion size.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I call mine Free Days- because sometimes I get sick of measuring and logging every bite of food. Some days I just want to relax.

Me too. As a general rule I do not log on the weekend. At breakfast and lunch I eat very similarly to how I eat during the week; that is to say, a protein-forward meal that is around 400 calories. I may or may not have a snack mid-afternoon around 200 calories. Then, at dinner is when I break from my "usual" mold. I will eat out with the family, maybe have a beer or share a dessert with the hubby. I will have popcorn at the movies or maybe stop by the candy shop in the mall for one of my favorite confections, black jelly beans. I know myself....and if I tried to work the black jelly beans in on a daily basis it would set me up for carb cravings; but once a week I can handle them!

I am not suggesting EVERYONE should do this...I am only saying that for me this works. It is also how I run maintenance; I increase my weekday calorie allotment but still stay pretty close to my "plan"; the weekends are more free-form and when I generally do my indulging.
  • opal721
    opal721 Posts: 8
    Options
    I totally agree with your opinion on "cheat days" If I want to eat something bad I #1 eat it early in the day. #2 Exercise a little more to compensate. Nicely put!!!
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Different strategies work for different people. Some people need to be really strict with avoidance of certain foods 6 days a week and then enjoy "freedom" once a week in order to be successful. That person might look at my diary and see that EVERY day is a cheat day, because I hardly go a day without SOME kind of sweet, alcoholic drink, bakery item, etc. But I never really have what I call "cheat days". There are days I go over my calorie goal, days I have large and indulgent meals, days I eat the "naughty" foods....but I still log most of them and just keep on doing what I'm doing. Not every day can be perfect, and in my lifetime, there will be days when I eat more calories than I should. That's life.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why would it bother you what other people do?:yawn:
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree that the term "cheat day" or "cheat meal" is just loaded with negativity. I generally am pretty happy with my meals on a daily basis, and rarely feel deprived. I've been at it for about eight months now and have lost over 50 pounds, and in that time I have hit the occasional plateau even when I am eating well and working out regularly. I've noticed that allowing myself to have whatever junk I crave - whether it's pizza or a Chinese buffet - for a single meal or even two meals in a row will ALWAYS help me out on the scale within a few days. Now that I'm within 10 pounds of my goal, the weight is coming off much more slowly and it's a bigger leap of faith to say "go ahead, have a day where you eat whatever you want..." But I think of them not as 'cheat meals' but "metabolism bump" meals, for that is what they are. I try to do it at lunch on a non-running day, so that I can compensate with a healthy dinner and breakfast and my run the next day won't be terribly effected.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of calling it a free day. That sounds better. Words and the connotations from them, do matter in so mnay different ways. So, from now on, it's a free day.
  • Lightworker10
    Options
    Im gonna call mine ME DAYS...no wait.. EVERYDAY on this journey has become a ME DAY!! haha and the More I LV ME, the more I can LV U, right??? :) "Love others, as you LV YOURSELF"!!!! We tend to skim over that last part!! I dont mean to sound selfish at all, but I DO feel we have to do this FOR US, therefore, celebrate US!! In the long run, all the compliments from others wont mean diddly unless we FEEL IT/RECIEVE it on the inside first!! :smile:
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Life is short and I like to enjoy it. Once a week I have a meal that I eat whatever I want. Then the rest of the week I am not tempted to fall off the wagon. If I were training for the Olympics I might look at it differently...but I'm training for LIFE and I make FUN a priority alongside my physical fitness goals. To each their own though.