Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

An easier way to setup goal calories - eating for who you wi

Replies

• jeephipwr
    jeephipwr Posts: 20
    Ok, I am not too sure if I have this figured out but here is my stab at it

I am currently 228lbs. BMR 1854 + activitiy 709 = 2563

My goal is 175 lbs. BMR 1613 + activity 617 = 2230

so as long as I am working out at the right level, I can consume 2200 cals. and be losing weight. I am in no hurry so it can take as long as it needs.

Now my Dr wants me to eat only 1500 cal per day and excercise at least 3x a week at about 400 cal per session. But this number is below my BMR so my body will slow down and hold weight (for a while. I know for a fact you can break-out of the starvation mode if you hold that level long enough, but it is not healthy to do it that way.)

Do I have my calculations right?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ok, I am not too sure if I have this figured out but here is my stab at it

I am currently 228lbs. BMR 1854 + activitiy 709 = 2563

My goal is 175 lbs. BMR 1613 + activity 617 = 2230

so as long as I am working out at the right level, I can consume 2200 cals. and be losing weight. I am in no hurry so it can take as long as it needs.

Now my Dr wants me to eat only 1500 cal per day and excercise at least 3x a week at about 400 cal per session. But this number is below my BMR so my body will slow down and hold weight (for a while. I know for a fact you can break-out of the starvation mode if you hold that level long enough, but it is not healthy to do it that way.)

Do I have my calculations right?

You got the exact right idea.
    So current eating at 2230, if you really did a workout of 400 cal, that would have you at 1830 on those days.
    So that is slightly below your current BMR.
    I'm guessing you are doing more than just 3 days of workout though, because the calc probably would have come out a little lower.
    Or you have a very active job or other daily activities that got it so high.
    Or, you didn't include enough under rest that really happens, so that means it ends up under Lightly Active. But if you were honest, do go changing to underestimate, it already does.

So wow, Dr recommending eating 300 below your current BMR is bad enough, if they wanted 400 burned off too, yikes.
    You probably would not have held on to weight, but as metabolism slowed, the weight loss amount would have dropped until stalled, and very hard for body to improve from the workouts in that case.

If you used the online spreadsheet since last night, I just made an improvement to it to estimate weekly weight loss that could happen, at the bottom.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    I am SO confused!

I am 37 years old

I am 5'5

I am currently 180lbs.

I want to be about 135lbs.

I work part time (20 hours a week) at a desk job.

I just started doing nerdfitness.com Beginners Body Weight routine (circuit training) takes me about 15 minutes to do. I am WAY out of shape. 2-3 times a week.

I sleep 8-9 hours a night.

I walk up and down the stairs at home just doing regular stuff....laundry, etc. I mainly am on the computer, watching tv, and reading, to be honest. I am SLOWLY incorporating exercise. I usually go in to the max and burn out when trying to lose weight....so I have decided to take a different approach and go slow since I am so out of shape. I am eating 1600 calories a day, at the moment.

Mr. heybales.....whatcha think??

Michelle
  • heybales
    I am 37 years old
    I am 5'5
    I am currently 180lbs.
    I want to be about 135lbs.

I work part time (20 hours a week) at a desk job.

I just started doing nerdfitness.com Beginners Body Weight routine (circuit training) takes me about 15 minutes to do. I am WAY out of shape. 2-3 times a week.

I sleep 8-9 hours a night.

I walk up and down the stairs at home just doing regular stuff....laundry, etc. I mainly am on the computer, watching tv, and reading, to be honest. I am SLOWLY incorporating exercise. I usually go in to the max and burn out when trying to lose weight....so I have decided to take a different approach and go slow since I am so out of shape. I am eating 1600 calories a day, at the moment.

I think with a simple routine like that, if you don't want to try to estimate exercise calories, this method would work.

Also, that is a very nice level of exercise, because you can lose just as much weight without exercise, and if done at a safe level, don't have the problem of slower metabolism, nor wasting away the muscle you do have and use.

I think you should use the spreadsheet referenced above.
    I'd suggest that if the reading is sitting at the computer with normal movement that sitting provides, that does not go under Rest. If the reading or TV is laying on the couch or back in chair just enjoying good book or show, that is Rest. Try to estimate correctly the daily level.

So when you use the spreadsheet, don't try to nail all misc activity, it'll fall under Lightly Active anyway.
    So if those workouts feel like the same as walking 4mph, they belong under Moderate, if they feel worse than that, then Heavy.
    If always 2 or 3 times a week, use 2.5 days. Or like sleep is 8.5 hrs then.
    Laundry and cleaning fall under light.
    Just use the descriptions of where the major time is spent. Don't need to estimate stair time of course, but other stuff.

I really don't think 1600 will be too far off the recommended level. Still probably a tad low though, so don't be surprised.

But this method will maximize your deficit, while feeding even that limited exercise, and protect your BMR.

And then the only change would be when you've dropped some pounds and feel like doing longer or more frequent workouts.
    Then you can recalc and get new daily goal.
  • bump
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    ++bump++
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    bump
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Thank you, kindly! I will give the spreadsheet a shot. I wanted to see if I was on the right track with the 1600 calories.
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks for all the info! Will be looking into this.
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Ive tried doing this and get so lost. Anyone able to help?

I am 27
    5'8
    Currently 169lbs
    Goal 150-155

I am a stay at home mom to 3 and walk every day 1-3 times a day for 30 minutes each time at a brisk pace. Ive also been doing the 30 day shred for the past few weeks but dont want to factor that in as i dont know how long ill continue. I sleep 8-9 hours a night if the kiddos allow :) I was set as lightly active on MFP but recently changed it to sedentary as i didnt want to over estimate. I spend most of my day on my feet standing doing household tasks/ kids etc. But would estimate 2 hours sitting during the day reading or on the computer, an hour or so driving and 2 hours sitting in the evening.

Help! :)
  • heybales
    I am 27
    5'8
    Currently 169lbs
    Goal 150-155

I am a stay at home mom to 3 and walk every day 1-3 times a day for 30 minutes each time at a brisk pace. Ive also been doing the 30 day shred for the past few weeks but dont want to factor that in as i dont know how long ill continue. I sleep 8-9 hours a night if the kiddos allow :) I was set as lightly active on MFP but recently changed it to sedentary as i didnt want to over estimate. I spend most of my day on my feet standing doing household tasks/ kids etc. But would estimate 2 hours sitting during the day reading or on the computer, an hour or so driving and 2 hours sitting in the evening.

Great idea wanting to enter goal weight with a full burning metabolism. Better than getting there and trying to eat more for maintenance, and having your body pack on the fat in case the insanity continues.

Bad idea underestimating the activity level. Because if you select too low, then your goal choice could make your daily goal well under your BMR, slowing your metabolism down, which slows down calorie burn on ALL other activity too.
    If you select to high, then your daily goal might be 100-200 higher, but all your daily activity is still what is creating the deficit and burning the fat. And ALL that activity is now causing full calorie burn because metabolism is high.

So there isn't enough info in the that description to give much of an estimate. Must use the spreadsheet and be honest with activity, so you don't shoot yourself in the metabolism.

Missing Rest level estimates for reading/TV just lump on a log style.
    Missing Light level cleaning/shopping/laundry times you know you spend.
    And you need to include the 30DS under Heavy Level. You can always recalc and set the goal again with that removed if you do.
    Got the Moderate Level walking as 1hr x 7 days, if that is indeed the avg of what you seem to do, and no other major walking to consider under Light.

Otherwise, all that excellent daily activity will create your deficit, and be mainly fed from fat, and will be unfed. But if you underestimate thinking to maximize things, you won't.

So that spreadsheet is linked in the first post of this Part 2 thread at top of page.
  • serenetranquility
    Okay I am still lost. Please hold with me.

I used the chart.

I don't know what info to post so I'll put what it in the daily spot check and info box:

Daily Goal Calories : 2148
    Workout Calories: 500
    Real Net: 1648
    BMR Current Weight : 1438
    Net above BMR: 210

Like I said before I am 5'8 169lbs and aiming for 150-155. I used 150 for the chart.

So....with this being said. Do I need to eat 2148 calories a day and do my walking each day etc and I'll lose weight? And if so, at what rate (ie: .5lb week/1lb week) OR so I need to take that 2148 Daily Calorie goal and subtract 500 (to lose 1lb/wk) and eat 1648 calories a day?

If I need to add more info from the chart I can. I'm just confused and could use some help.
    I think I am confusing myself with methods. Ideally I want to manually set my calories on MFP, not log exercise except for 1 calorie and just focus on that daily manually logged number.
  • bump
  • serenetranquility
    heybales, you out there?
  • nebody
    nebody Posts: 2
    I am totally confused. Can you please help me?

I am 39.5 yo, female
    mom to 3
    other than mild chores at home and some shopping, not very much activity
    I am 5'9"
    I weigh 270
    I would like to weigh 170

I am currently doing the old points plan on Weight Watchers which affords a daily points range. Mine is 28-35. This is NOT the current plan. I lost a ton of weight on this plan after my kids were born and it took me over a year.

With your method, were I to figure the correct amount out, I would lose faster?

According to what I have learned, as you go down in weight, your body which gets used to what you are taking in, now requires less and less, so you have to reduce points/calories. Is that not correct here? Could I figure what my daily calorie intake should be for my goal weight of 170 and use that all the way through to goal?

Please HELP!

Thanks So much!

Agnes
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    bump
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    I don't get how this works either.. at my current weight to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week its giving me 1200 but to get to 9st (another 10lbs lighter) it gives me 1520?

I'm only 3lb off original goal of 9st 7 and taking ages to lose each pound to get there so I can't see how eating more can get me 10lbs lighter??
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Bumpity-bump!
  • hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    bump
  • nebody
    nebody Posts: 2
    Why are people writing "Bump"? Is to push other messages down? There are people, I included, who really need help and are seeking advice.

I am totally confused. Can you please help me?

I am 39.5 yo, female
    mom to 3
    other than mild chores at home and some shopping, not very much activity
    I am 5'9"
    I weigh 270
    I would like to weigh 170

I am currently doing the old points plan on Weight Watchers which affords a daily points range. Mine is 28-35. This is NOT the current plan. I lost a ton of weight on this plan after my kids were born and it took me over a year.

With your method, were I to figure the correct amount out, I would lose faster?

According to what I have learned, as you go down in weight, your body which gets used to what you are taking in, now requires less and less, so you have to reduce points/calories. Is that not correct here? Could I figure what my daily calorie intake should be for my goal weight of 170 and use that all the way through to goal?

Please HELP!

Thanks So much!

Agnes