Replies

• davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, just count them.
  • garyl7593
    garyl7593 Posts: 38
    Options
    How could you think that alcohol, wine or whatever, wouldn't add to your weight? I all contains calories!! Does alcohol know its a weekend? :):) I've know a few alcoholics who only drink on weekends and get roaring, black-out drunk. Think those calories don't add up? Fooling yourself about when you eat or drink something is called sabotage. Don't do that to yourself. :noway: (Told you I was forthright.

CHILLOUT! Think you could do with a glass! ;)
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    How could you think that alcohol, wine or whatever, wouldn't add to your weight? I all contains calories!! Does alcohol know its a weekend? :):) I've know a few alcoholics who only drink on weekends and get roaring, black-out drunk. Think those calories don't add up? Fooling yourself about when you eat or drink something is called sabotage. Don't do that to yourself. :noway: (Told you I was forthright.

CHILLOUT! Think you could do with a glass! ;)

Ha!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, go for it.

Apply this rule to all foods and beverages.

There are no other rules needed. I've proven this to be true. VVVVVVV
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Im also a big fan of wine (white one though) :D Also love to drink on the weekends while hanging out with friends and going to parties.
    Actually alcohol is the biggest weight gainer..
    Last november I was totally alcohol free and I lost weight doing almost nothing. I was eating and exercising the same, but no alcohol, anyway december came and also came wine, lol.
    So if you really need to lose some weight, I advise you to forget about alcohol..seems hard but possible ;)

Well, derp. It wasn't cutting out the alcohol that caused you to lose weight; it was the calories you removed from your daily consumption.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I love a glass of wine with my dinner and more if I go out with friends. I detox a minimum of 4 weeks twice a year and guess what? I never lose any more weight in that time. I think every body is different and reacts to different things. My friend for example losing weight by cutting out bread. Go with what works for your body
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about the calories than the alcohol. My favorite time to drink a nice glass of red wine is after an evening cross country ski or Zumba class. As long as I have the extra calories, it's a great treat after a good workout. I always make sure I have enough calories left to consume any treat, whether it's chocolate or red wine. Don't deprive yourself, just account for it and enjoy it!
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I swear the alcoholic police sit and just wait for these threads.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I swear the alcoholic police sit and just wait for these threads.

Like*
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. :drinker:
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I know someone fairly close to me that is an avid triathlonist, climber, gym rat, etc and he puts away a bottle of red a night and is 4% body fat. So exercising at extremely high levels just offsets those cals.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My husband and I drank on weekends and I love wine, however, we couldn't lose weight even when working out regularly. When I drink I snack a lot without realizing. When we quit my husband lost 25 lbs within 3 weeks and I lost 10. I believe that It honestly does effect losing weight.

I stopped on the 2nd of Jan 2012 and have dropped down over 15 lbs. I was the same that I had to snack on things when I drank.

If I wanted to go back to drinking I would need to up my excersise or I would put weight back on.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I still drink, but moderation is the key. I switched from high calorie drinks to lower calorie type stuff.
    Cheap red wine :drinker:

BTW there is a Wine Group on here, lots of good info.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I loooove my wine. A lot. lol. I just work it in and I've still dropped the weight.

Amen!!!
  • sizzle92
    Options
    I still drink, but moderation is the key. I switched from high calorie drinks to lower calorie type stuff.

Link please? :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/180-cheap-wine
  • jodienc1
    jodienc1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am a firm believer in having a beverage... That said any alcohol cuts down on the way the body burns fat for a full 48 hours after consumption.

I only drink on weekends - by choice and have seen a tremendous difference in my weight loss/fitness journey. I limit my comsumption and log everything.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    SO NICE to hear from fellow wine lovers! I, too, averaged a bottle a night. Had to cut that out to eliminate the cals. I started drinking 3 oz wine (red or white) and filling the remainder of the glass with club soda. Started buying cheap wine for this. Amazing! I've been able to cut out the wine completely a few days a week. Def adds the cals when I drink. Had to give up the "hey, it's Wednesday! Let's celebrate with a shot of tequila" too. My husband and I celebrate anything.

My waistline sure thanks me though! I may not have control of turning 50 in a couple of weeks but I sure have control over the size of my 50 year old *kitten*!
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    simply think of it from a caloric point of view and keep tabs on it. alcohol provides 7 kcals per gram, and it's essentially useless energy aka "empty calories" because it provides no nourishment for your body like carbs protein and fat do. so you'll store those calories like you do any other.

but everything is fine in moderation, and it sounds like that's how you drink, so i wouldn't worry about it.

besides, who doesn't like a nice glass of red wine with a hearty steak ;)
  • sizzle92
    Options

Thank you!!!