Need Dinner Ideas Please.

Options
chrissiepooh
chrissiepooh Posts: 45 Member
I'm tired of broiled, grilled and baked chicken, turkey meatloaf and blah. I just need something exciting to eat to jumpstart me back on not being so bored! NO SEAFOOD please. I HATE seafood. Any and all tips/tricks and recipes welcome.

Chrissie

Replies

• channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi there

im pretty new to this, I find chicken to be tastier if you marinate it over night in a sauce, weather your making your own curry, or faheitas.

Long you have calories to use up i like to make discovery or sachet ones but if you google faaitas it will give you a spice mix

Put lots of onion and peppers in it to bulk it out and a small amount of boiled rice in a wrap.

its really filling if i have it on a weekend i find il eat a small snack later on rather than two full meals.

You can add low fat cheese, low fat garlic dip and salsa if your wanting an extra treat
  • thefoodnerd
    thefoodnerd Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why not try doing some breakfast for supper?

If you have ground turkey I have an awesome recipe for sausage!

4oz ground turkey
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1tsp fennel seeds
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    sprinkle of red pepper flakes
    1tsp maple syrup
    1tbs water
    salt/pepper

I mix that all up, cook it up in a pan, with some egg whites and 35 cal toast. :)

If that doesnt float your boat, you could try something like:

Tacos/Fajitas, you can control the spiciness and ingredients. I always make mine pretty spicy to excite my palate. :)

I browse around on here a lot for inspiration!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Asian Inspired Recipes
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I am so sick of food that I wanna gag..... I make some eggs with no butter, use a no calorie cooking spray, usually fry them, eat some 35 calorie wheat bread with a couple squirts of parkay spray butter and a couple slices of bacon. The Kroger large eggs are 70 calories each, 2 slices of bacon is 70 calories, and the nickles light wheat bread is 70 calories for both.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes to make. I know it's chicken, but it's sooo yummy.

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

1Lb of Chicken Breast
    1 Can of Rotel
    1 Can of Black Beans (drained)
    1 Cup of Frozen Corn
    2 Packets of Taco Seasoning
    About 32 oz of fat free Chicken broth... enough to cover everything in the crock pot.

Put everything into a crock pot and cover with the chicken broth. Let simmer on low all day or until chicken can easily be shred with forks.

Shred Chicken with two forks.

Serve on a Tortilla with lettuce, tomatoes, F.F. cheese, and lite sour cream!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    What about taking "old favorite" recipes and converting them to be healthier? My family wasn't so thrilled at what me "being healthier" would mean, but they were pleasantly surprised when I just took our old favorites and subbed ingredients for healthier ones.

Using lower fat or non fat substitutes, using ground turkey instead of ground beef, etc. I eat pretty much how I used to eat, except I exercise portion control and have decreased the calories in dishes by using healthy substitutions.
  • TinyTee106
    Options
    Hey,
    i got a couple of food recipes that are low calorie and dont get boring,

for instance you say your bored with boiled chicken, you could try doing chicken in parcels were your concealing the flavour of the meat and is so much better than boiled or grilled, for instance you could put courgette , carrot, onion, and mushroom in a parcel,
    put some herbs on your chicken to give it a bit more flavour, i.e papprika, chilli flakes, basil etc, seal your meat in the frying pan then add it to the parcel seal it all up and put in the oven for 30-40 mins, and you could serve it with new potatoes or mash.
    Sausage Chasseur is also quiet healthy, beef stew, with meals like this i serve with fresh veg n different types of potatoes, i.e mash, new potatoes, boiled potatoes, sweet potato etc.

I hope this has been helpful for u :-)
  • beckybeckster81
    beckybeckster81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about a speedy cassoulet? It's quick, it's tasty, it's filling and it's not chicken or fish!

The recipe serves four and is around 300 calories per serving.

4 chipolata sausages cut into chunks
    2 lean rashers (slices) streaky bacon, rinded and diced
    425g/15oz/1 large can red kidney beans, drained
    400g/14oz/1 large can no-added-sugar baked beans
    400g/14oz/1 large can chopped tomatoes
    Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Chopped parsley

Dry-fry (saute) the sausages and bacon in a saucepan until well browned and crisp. Remove from the pan with a fish slice and drain thoroughly on kitchen paper. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper to remove the fat. Add all the remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Heat through, stirring. Add the sausages and bacon and heat through for a further minute. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parsley before serving.

I have this just as it is but I serve it over cous-cous or mashed potato for my husband.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What about taking "old favorite" recipes and converting them to be healthier? My family wasn't so thrilled at what me "being healthier" would mean, but they were pleasantly surprised when I just took our old favorites and subbed ingredients for healthier ones.

Using lower fat or non fat substitutes, using ground turkey instead of ground beef, etc. I eat pretty much how I used to eat, except I exercise portion control and have decreased the calories in dishes by using healthy substitutions.

I so agree with this! And there are lots of websites out there with great recipes to help you find substitutes for your old favorites.
  • cootensgirl
    Options
    I have a few that I like to make.

Pork Chops
    4 oz pork chop
    1/4 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1 spray pam
    salt and pepper to taste

Spray saute pan, sear pork chop over medium high heat (salt and pepper now if you want), Once each side has a good sear add rest of ingredience turn down heat to medium and put a lid on it. Make sure you don't run out of water or it will burn your chops.
    I serve this with 1 cup of steamed broccoli.
    One thing is to watch the salt because the soy sauce is so salty. You may want to try low sodium soy sauce. I am not a huge fan of pork chops but I liked these.

Sausage, peppers and onions
    I use Jennio turkey sweet italian sausage
    1 link sausage
    1 bell pepper any color
    1/2 onion
    1 clove garlic
    Pepper or chili flakes to taste

I remove the skins from the sausage so that I can crumble the meat.
    I cook the sausage on med high heat until almost cooked through. Then I add the rest of the ingredients. Try not to over cook your veggies.

Yum!

Good luck!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of broiled, grilled and baked chicken, turkey meatloaf and blah. I just need something exciting to eat to jumpstart me back on not being so bored! NO SEAFOOD please. I HATE seafood. Any and all tips/tricks and recipes welcome.

Chrissie

Seems to me you need to expand your food-repertoire and try some foreign dishes at home! Go for something from Singapore, Malaysia (GREAT dishes by the way!), Vietnam has some incredibly fresh and FLAVOR-OVERLOAD dishes to make.

Or if you are a big time savory kinda person - head over to middle Europe and try some recipes from Czechoslovakia, Ukraine, Portugal.

Take a swim in something from Sicily, Morroco...

Recipesouce.com has TONS of recipes from around the world - some of the recipes even have nutritional information too!!!!!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com - she has awesome flavors!! we have loved everything!!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The secret is in the sauce. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood, pork, chicken, lamb, seafood, beef, pork, chicken, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, pork, beef, seafood.

Try cooking every night and trying to come up with something new. It ain't easy. Sauces are your best bet. Experiment with different sauces from different countries and change the protein. I made a Sicilian stewing sauce that I can cook any of the above in and it's 5 different meals, then I change up the flavors and go Spanish, then white wine, garlic, chicken broth and a touch of fake butter for France, throw in some Greek, some Hungarian, then do Chinese and Thai, mix it all up and you can get a good variety.

Then the problem becomes potatoes, rice, pasta, potatoes, rice, pasta, but again with a little imagination, sauces can change everything.
  • BethHanson
    BethHanson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make a White Bean Chicken Chili...
    Throw some frozen chicken breast, northern beans, corn, can of chili tomatoes, and a can of green enchilada sauce in a crock-pot and call it dinner. You can add anything you like, onions, more veggies, use salsa instead of the enchilada sauce. The leftovers are great as quesadillas or tacos/burritos.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chicken in a slow cooker?
    Salsa and chicken
    barbecue chicken...
    chicken and rice casserole
    Italian dressing and chicken
    very easy and so good!!

if you eat beef, roast beef in the slow cooker is yummy!
  • chrissiepooh
    chrissiepooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone...my food likings are VERY slim, I should be the skinniest girl EVER for what I choose to consume. However, that's not that case and here I am :)

I do have breakfast for dinner sometimes, I cook for both my boyfirend and I--he HATES pork (I like breakfast pork products, but not ham or pork chops)..I know..picky..I hate beef, unless it's ground beef and I love chicken and ground turkey but feel like thats all I eat. I am Italian so pasta is one of my kryptonites..But I will def take some of those crock pot suggestions, all the recipes sounded delish! Skinnytaste and Hungrygirl.com are amazing. :) I also blog too...and any low fat recipes I make, I post there, (we aren't allowed to self-promote, but...I don't just need help in the recipe dept, I need help in my quest for motivation as well. SO if you want my website, add me or message me :) )
  • Moon_Watcher
    Options
    Sometimes when I get sick of chicken, I'll eat a large salad with turkey deli meat in it, or Rice and fruit. Surprisingly BLT's come in with a low caloric count depending on what kind of bacon and bread you use, and I use mustard instead of mayo. I have to get creative because my husband is trying to gain weight, and I am trying to lose it. Thankfully he can eat a lot, so I pick things that all I have to do is portion control and he can go all out. I hope that helps and good luck.
  • luv2scrapbook
    Options
    i love perdue perfect potions! they are pre seasoned and i eat them everyday(broiled), i never get bored!
    however, when i want something different, say tuna, ill look up low fat tuna recipes and find something that sounds good to me. you can do that with any food your in the mood for.
  • luv2scrapbook
    Options
    also, i have a breakfast recipe for oatmeal.
    "power oatmeal"
    1/2 cup quick oats with 1 cup water, microwave for 3 minutes
    stir in cinnamon
    mix 1 scoop vanilla protein powder in a small amount of milk
    stir into oatmeal
    add a splash of sugar free syrup (optional)

its really not bad, and ive happen to love it now, its under 300 calories and keeps you full for hours
    and very good for you
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Browse around the CookingLight.com web site. They have some great recipes with calorie counts included....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone...my food likings are VERY slim, I should be the skinniest girl EVER for what I choose to consume. However, that's not that case and here I am :)

I do have breakfast for dinner sometimes, I cook for both my boyfirend and I--he HATES pork (I like breakfast pork products, but not ham or pork chops)..I know..picky..I hate beef, unless it's ground beef and I love chicken and ground turkey but feel like thats all I eat. I am Italian so pasta is one of my kryptonites..But I will def take some of those crock pot suggestions, all the recipes sounded delish! Skinnytaste and Hungrygirl.com are amazing. :) I also blog too...and any low fat recipes I make, I post there, (we aren't allowed to self-promote, but...I don't just need help in the recipe dept, I need help in my quest for motivation as well. SO if you want my website, add me or message me :) )

unfortunately thats what will happen ... you only stick with the foods you like.. then you get bored, get frustrated.. and before you know it - the stress of it sends you down a food-shame spiral and you end back at square one... dont go down a food-shame spiral and end up back at square one.

Learn to try new foods, experience new flavors. If you want to lose weight, motivate yourself to try new things. For many years I worked as a chef specializing in dietary restrictions... and I still use those skills to this day. The more you try, the more you will learn to like - heck you may discover something for the first time and say "WOW, THAT WAS MIGHTY TASTY!"... Being picky can be a significant downfall and ultimately slow down any good weightloss efforts..

Time to taste new things!!!