Harder to quit: Smoking, alcohol or snacking?

Options
Ok, I used to smoke regularly, and gave it up after 6 years without a problem. I didn't have a drink for 7 years and never gave it much thought. However now that I am trying to eat healthy (and have small portions) , I am finding it so hard - after two weeks - not to constantly think about snacking on candy, cookies, french fries, muffins, brownies, cake etc... I am not going "cold turkey" with food, as I don't want to get into the whole denial and punishment thing (that might be another topic ;-) ...but I can't believe how much I constantly think about this stuff, even when I am not hungry...

What have others experienced? What do you do?

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    honestly I don't snack much at all anymore. I eat two really big meals that leave me stuffed. The only part of the day I spend hungry is the time right before my lunch or right before my dinner. I usually save enough calories to have dessert of some kind after dinner too.
  • chylo1
    chylo1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    with you on that.....I think of food all the time
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is eating balanced. For me that means that I make sure to hit all of my food groups through out the day.

I also plan snacks for between breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus I drink a lot of water and tea (green tea pomegranate).

Planning plus balance are the key factors that keep me from snacking or even from dealing with cravings.

Before I did all that, I was never able t keep from eating sweets or other unhealthy snacks for longer than a day, hence all that weight gain - yuck!
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't know about smoking, because I have never, and I don't know about drinking either, because I just doesn't mean that much to me-- but I LOVE food and I know this is hard. I like to cook, and I like to try new foods, and I simply like to eat. When I am eating poorly, I want to eat more and more and more bad foods as well. But I can always tell when I am getting good exercise, I make better food choices unconsciously, and I snack less. So for me it's just being mobile-- and if I really want something I have it. But just one of it. And just once ;)
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    @oceans forever - yes, I find that good planning is the only thing that keeps me out of trouble :-)
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Smoking, hands down. That **** was (and is) super hard!