Is anyone else having trouble reaching their Net Cal intake?

Options
I am finding it difficult to net even 1200 calories per day! I average about 800, and I'm really trying to change that. I don't want to decrease my exercises, I really enjoy them - but I can't manage to ingest enough calories! I have a full day planned and I'm still only reaching 829 net cals.

I upped my calorie intake about two weeks ago - and I have gained two pounds (still increasing intensity of cardio and strength training each week). I'm hoping once my body gets used to eating a proper amount of calories I will start losing again. I have lost inches, just not pounds - which is fine - but I'd like to see the number on the scale coming down instead of going up!

I don't know how I am going to manage to add another 400 calories today -_- Would really appreciate any advice.

Replies

• militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eat more fats: Nuts, olive oil, cheese, milk. Meat also contains a fair whack of animal fat and calories. In all honesty if you're struggling to NET 1200 then go back and eat whatever you ate to get big in the first place.

Best of luck
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have to eat between 2000 and 2300 calories a day at the moment (up from 1400 to 1600), and increased my intake by using more butter, cheddar cheese, coconut oil, almond butter, avocado, nuts and salmon.....alll nice calorie rich nutrients without actually having to eat loads more bulk....
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    My issue was under-eating, so reaching 1200 before factoring in my exercise cals was a big thing for me - so I can't just go back to under-eating! a bit counterproductive hehe
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As a side note, if you eat too few calories then your body wont automatically stop losing weight... that would be a cure for world hunger :laugh: Your metabolism will slow down, that's all.

If you're increasing exercise intensity then you may be holding water. Muscles hold water to protect themselves while they repair, plus their energy source, glycogen, binds to water also. The extra weight will naturally dissapate over a couple of weeks, try using a tape measure instead
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    :) thanks for your advice - yep according to the tape measure I've lost about 8 inches in the last 6 weeks. I certainly feel better that I did at the end of January.. just having trouble getting enough calories. I feel rather apprehensive about eating back exercise cals, though I've read articles that logically explain why this is suggested. Yet for an under-eater... to increase what you are eating, and then push yourself to start eating back exercise cals as well is super intimidating!

Regardless, got to give it a go ^_^
    for the long run
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    :) thanks for your advice - yep according to the tape measure I've lost about 8 inches in the last 6 weeks. I certainly feel better that I did at the end of January.. just having trouble getting enough calories. I feel rather apprehensive about eating back exercise cals, though I've read articles that logically explain why this is suggested. Yet for an under-eater... to increase what you are eating, and then push yourself to start eating back exercise cals as well is super intimidating!

Regardless, got to give it a go ^_^
    for the long run

Totally understand this apprehension - I have been going through something similar - but it works!! Just posted this on my wall....

"OK - after loooong plateau I started eating back ALL my exercise calories - reducing my daily deficit to between 500 and 700 cals per day (previously I was running 1300 to 1000 cal deficits).....Eating between 2100 and 2300 calories a day (not easy when you are conditioned to eat less to lose weight) So far in 2 weeks & 2 days lost 2.7kg's (5.9lbs)"
  • bettiep123
    bettiep123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add a yogurt with granola (I eat Chobani Greek yogurt and a local organic homemade granola.) Also add a piece of dark chocolate with almonds (or not :-). That's about 400 calories and won't fill you up too much and is all good healthy stuff!
  • patlclark1
    patlclark1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am an overweight undereater as well and I exercise daily, I will try some of your suggestions and see if I make any progress.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting my calories up too, but I have to be super careful about carbs. I'm diabetic, and control it almost completely with diet and exercise now. I've started adding nuts to my diet and that seems to help but, eh, still running on the low side.
  • buzzchic
    buzzchic Posts: 2
    Options
    I am an overweight under eater too. I have a very hard time getting in enough calories. I am following this thread for advice, but don't have any good advice to lend, other than being careful of where your calories come from. Make sure to keep your calories from sugar to a minimum, so eat mixed nuts and fruit. Those are packed with healthy calories. Example: I just ate a little snack pack and the thing had almost 400 calories in it!
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nuts! I have the problem that I can't eat huge portions. So little and often is better for me and I always use nuts to get my cal count up! They're good for you and they don't make my tummy feel uncomfortably full. I eat whole almonds or grab a spoon and crank open the peanut butter. Failing that try avocado.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Some easy ways to add calories:

My current favorite post-workout snack: 3/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder mixed in, chopped apples and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips = about 350

PB&J on sprouted-grain bread = 300-400

Smallish handful of almonds = 270

OJ in the morning and a glass of milk before bed = 240

1 cup of ice milk and a drizzle of syrup = 250
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've found it difficult today. My goal is around 1500 a day as I found that when it was set to 1200 I was always eating more, but today I found it really difficult to get higher than 1155 so have been upping my cal intake with cups of tea and I had two slices of toast with butter as a mid-afternoon snack to up my cals but I'm still about 200 under 1500 today.

I like the advice people have given though, I may try to increase fat intake myself, maybe just that extra teaspoon of butter here and there will help.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm having to eat close to 3000 calories at the moment. I'm breastfeeding and am eating at maintenance, per instructions from my kids' pediatrician. I'm pumping 45+ ounces of milk a day, which means I'm burning over 900 calories from that alone. It's difficult for me to eat that much (without relying on processed foods) while I have to also take care of three kids, keep the house clean, do homework...
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I make up a small box the following is worth 400 cals
    10g walnuts,
    10g pecan nuts
    10g pistachio
    3g sesame seeds
    3g pumpkin seeds
    3g sunflower seeds,
    20g sultanas
    30g island mix

all the right fats and very healthy :) hope this helps
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter. Try it on, well, everything! :P You'd be amazed how incredible it is on the oddest things....
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    MFP buddy and I were just discussing this issue.

This is how I understand the net calorie issue works.
    Lets say you have a daily goal of 1200 calories. That signifies the amount of calories you burn with normal daily activity based on your wt, age, gender, ht etc.

So, for example, I ate 1303 calories today and had 528 exercise calories. Subtract 528 exercise calories to give a net of 775 and then subtract 1200 calories from the 775 for a negative 425 calories. MFP's goal calorie deficit for me is 440 calories based on what I entered when I signed up with MFP. For me it was 2 lbs/week.

And if you look at the bottom of my food diary you will see that I have 425 calories remaining which is exactly the negative calorie number that we calculated above.

That is why you should be eating at least 1200 calories/day. The number at the bottom of your diary in the REMAINING line should equal what your daily calorie defecit that you will find on your goal page to loose what ever number of lbs/wk you signed up for in the beginning. Hope that helps.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I looked over your diary and you are eating a decent amount, and it appears you are eating back at least a protion of your workout calories. Try it for a few weeks and see if you feel satisfied and reach your goal.
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    That is why you should be eating at least 1200 calories/day. The number at the bottom of your diary in the REMAINING line should equal what your daily calorie defecit that you will find on your goal page to loose what ever number of lbs/wk you signed up for in the beginning. Hope that helps.

This was a really confusing post.... :huh:

The idea of the "net" calories on here is actually pretty simple.

1. MFP gives you a goal calories for the day based on your goals. That number already calculates a deficit. It won't go below 1200 regardless because that's considered unsafe.

2. When you exercise, MFP increases the number of goal calories to keep your deficit the same.

3. Net calories is the number of calories you ate minus the number you burned, and represents the number of calories you've given your body to work with for the day to support its regular functions.

At the end of the day, your NET calories should equal your GOAL calories, and REMAINING should be at or close to zero.

I think some of the confusion may come from the "goal" calories showing up differently on your "home" page (which shows your original calorie goal) than on your diary page (which shows your adjusted goal).