1200 calories and feel

Options
Ok, so lately there has been a lot of talk about eating at least 1200 calories if not more. Up until today I have been eating up to 1000 calories and on two other days eating 1200. I have lost 23 pounds that way. I have not felt hungry at all. So the last few days I have been making a conscious effort to eat 1200 calories. I feel like crap! My body feels huge and I feel so bloated. I have been drinking 16 cups of water so I know it's not water gain, I go to the bathroom regularly so it's not that and it's not my monthly...I feel fat and gross...please help. Should I go back to what I like feeling or should I keep giving this a try. Please...no debates on calories...I really would like advice not debates.

Replies

• momma2teacher
    momma2teacher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump...please help
  • twilighttabby
    twilighttabby Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what was working. Like my daddy aways said. Don't fix something that isn't broke! lol..
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    you have a closed diary, so it's impossible to review.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Where are your extra 200 calories coming from? If you've added in more "junky" food (candy, fried things), that probably explains why you're feeling icky. If you're eating healthy in general, you might just need to give your body time to adjust. Definitely give it a chance for at least a couple weeks. Good luck!
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It probably isn't that extra 200 calories making you bloated but what you particularly chose to ate that day.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What kinds of foods have you added to get up to 1200? If you've added processed foods, it's probably sodium bloat.
  • emilyjones1119
    Options
    I would say that If you felt better doing what you did previous to eating 1200 calories daily the go back to it. Especially if your body is already used to that.
  • antlergirl
    antlergirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been told off for saying I want to be eating under or around 1000 too and felt a little puzzled. So I have just switched some foods up that are higher calorie but are healthy fats and oils. More proteins, fruit and good carbs (low GI). I'm not an expert as I had a similar problem. But I have stopped calorie counting and am eating well rounded meals.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I feel like crap when I eat 1200 too.... Mostly because my body is used to eating 1500+

You have been eating far too little and now your metabolism has slowed down to compensate. Give 1200 a couple more days so that your body can adjust.

I LOVE MFP, but HATE that it allows people to eat such a low calorie count. You should never be eating less than 1200, ESPECIALLY with exercise.

I'm fairly small, and my BMR is 1400. That means that if I stayed in bed all day and never moved I would still burn 1400 calories. If you are eating any less than your BMR your body and organs suffer.

My guess is that eating so little is finally starting to catch up to you...
  • babychinpy
    Options
    I've been told off for saying I want to be eating under or around 1000 too and felt a little puzzled. So I have just switched some foods up that are higher calorie but are healthy fats and oils. More proteins, fruit and good carbs (low GI). I'm not an expert as I had a similar problem. But I have stopped calorie counting and am eating well rounded meals.

Exactly right. It is composition rather than calories that matter.

You can lose weight eating 2000 calories of primal food and gain weight on 1000 calories of bread!
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    I too have stuck close to 1200/day. Most days I eat 1100 or so and work out (but don't eat back my calories) I don't feel hungry at the end of the day and I feel like I'm still free to eat whenever I feel hungry during the day. After reading a handful of posts about eating more calories and how it's supposed to help you lose more weight I gave it a try and also felt too full and bloated. For me, I feel more comfortable eating close to 1200. Since starting my diet I have been more concious about portion control and choosing lower calorie meals/snacks. I also have a few cheat meals or snacks so that I don't feel deprived of what I crave..just in moderation. I have lost a total of 33lbs and have 16lbs more to reach my absolute goal weight. I feel great so why would I continue to overeat (in my opinion) just because someone tells me to. I think the best thing to do is to listen to your body!
  • hosey134
    hosey134 Posts: 1
    Options
    You haven't mentioned if you're exercising at all. That can help tremendously. Helps circulation, boosts in endorphins, boosts metabolism and will allow for a possible increase in calories w/o affecting weight loss. Not to mention the added health benefits of both cardiovascular exercise and weight training.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hun, do what works for you. if you felt fine before just keep it up and worry about it more if it all slows down. I would listen to your own body. We are all so different! And, well done on the weight loss so far!!!!!!!!!! :o)
  • momma2teacher
    momma2teacher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's all fruit and veggies...I will open my diary
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is just not mental bloat? You said you have only done it for a few days but before that you said you normally eat 1200 a couple days a week anyway. You say you are making a conscious effort to eat 1200 cals so maybe you consiously feeling bloated because you are making yourself eat the extra 200 calories. I would say up your days on eating 1200 calories and still give yourself a couple days where you eat 1000 calories and maybe that help your bloating whether it is truly happening or not. I know I have hard time eating 1200 calories if I am really sedentary all day long. I tend to leave those days where I eat a little less.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, do what was working for you. MFP is only a guide... not an end-all-beat-all bible on how to lose weight. Everyone has an opinion here, but only YOU know your body and how it reacts to different foods and different caloric amounts. Only you know what is best for you! Good luck!
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Be careful about how much water you drink. I'm surprised I'm the first person to mention this. With as much as you are drinking, it is likely that you are flushing out a lot of nutrients rather than letting your body absorb them.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yeah we are all different, good luck and great job on your weightloss.
    Hun, do what works for you. if you felt fine before just keep it up and worry about it more if it all slows down. I would listen to your own body. We are all so different! And, well done on the weight loss so far!!!!!!!!!! :o)
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Ok, so lately there has been a lot of talk about eating at least 1200 calories if not more. Up until today I have been eating up to 1000 calories and on two other days eating 1200. I have lost 23 pounds that way. I have not felt hungry at all. So the last few days I have been making a conscious effort to eat 1200 calories. I feel like crap! My body feels huge and I feel so bloated. I have been drinking 16 cups of water so I know it's not water gain, I go to the bathroom regularly so it's not that and it's not my monthly...I feel fat and gross...please help. Should I go back to what I like feeling or should I keep giving this a try. Please...no debates on calories...I really would like advice not debates.
    U should up ur calories slowly add 50 a week don't go over say 1050 ur body can't handle that big of a change exspecialy if ur never really eat over 1000. Also protein makes me really bloated so I have been increasing it lil by lil instead of a ton all at once