Marinade and logging...

Options
Tough question...

If I marinade a roast but DISCARD the marinade and don't make a gravy from it, do I have to log the marinade ingredients still? I mean... I get that some of it soaks into the meat, but out of a 1/2 cup of salad dressing and some dried herbs, I throw away more than what soaks in. I'm also not eating the whole roast... any idea on how to log or approach that? I'm looking at doing a sirloin tip oven roast with some Kraft roasted red pepper dressing and some dried rosemary leaves on it for dinner. Help? Advice? Suggestions?

I was tempted to just log the roast consumption but my conscious is nagging me about the oils that will soak in from the salad dressing ...

Anj

11012837.png

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I usually add a tbs of dressing I use for marinade.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Measure your marinade before you marinade the roast and then afterward. Track the difference for the whole roast. Divide by roughly how many servings you'd think it will be.
  • Anjeroo
    Anjeroo Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I just know that about 1/2 cup is going in that marinade bag and I'll toss out atleast half of it. I savour all the calories I get :P
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Enter it as a recipe and take a guess at how many servings it makes. For something chunky like a roast, I'm guessing your marinade would be a pretty small contributor to the calories - but in the spirit of getting a closer estimate, I would probably enter 1/2 the amount into the recipe.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Measure your marinade before you marinade the roast and then afterward. Track the difference for the whole roast. Divide by roughly how many servings you'd think it will be.

This is what I've done. It seems the most straight forward approach. I obviously didn't eat the marinade I discarded, but the marinade in the food isn't calorie-free, either. This seems like a reasonable stance to take.