Weight lifting.... Where to even START??

Options
OK, MFPer's...... Again, I'm looking to YOU for advice!!

I'm thinking it's about time to add some lifting to my cardio routine, BUT I have NO idea where to even begin!! I do belong to a gym, but I am one of those girls who is INTIMIDATED by the "other side" of the gym. I'm sure there's some really nice people over there, but I feel like as soon as I step over, some sort of alarm is going to go off and everyone will stop what they're doing and look at me. :noway:

Any books, websites, links or what-not to help a newbie along?? :wink:

Replies

• 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    BOOK - The New Rules of Lifting for Women (Lift like a man, look like a goddess)

I got this today. I've only read the intro so far, but I would already recommend it! :-)

A lot of people on here use it and recommend it.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women." You can get it from the library for free or buy it for like 15 bucks. It's great. It has lots of great info and a plan that you can follow. That's what I've been doing and I really like it. It helps to have a plan when you walk into the weight room LOL!! It's less intimidating that way.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I actually paid $25 bucks to work with a trainer and get a routine. She showed me the correct form and started me on the weight I needed to start at, which wasn't much. For me, my goal is to get stronger so I can improve my cardio workouts. That means lower weights and more repetitions. It does depend on what you want to get out of the strength training, so my suggestion is to cough up the cash and work with someone. Then read books and tweak your routine for you.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Jamie Eason's Livefit? It's free and shows you what you need to do everyday. Some people don't like it but I think it's a great place to start. If you can afford a trainer you def should pay to have him/her give you a routine too, that's what I do. They can be helpful because they watch that you're using "proper form".

Don't be intimidated, everyone started somewhere:). Oh I sometimes do a group class called "Body Pump", not sure if
    Your gyms offers it or not. Good luck!
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the other side and I can tell you without reservation most of us will not only not give you dirty looks but would be happy to give you pointers and help out if you any questions.

Don't be scarred, come join us :)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I call this my bible to weight lifting and work outs.. It is a book called Fast Lane to Fitness by Robert Kennedy and Dwayne Hines II it is a really good book. It helped me to understand manythings
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com
    startingstrength.com
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've recently begun lifting. I don't belong to a gym, but I went to Walmart and paid $1.99 for (2) two pound weights. I just starting holding them as I did things like squats and lunges. Then about a week ago, I took a friend to the doctor for an epidural shot. I sat in the waiting room while she was in for her treatment and they had some fitness magazines. I saw an article that had directions and pictures of exercises with weights that target "the middle section" which is my problem area.

I very quietly tore out those pages and took them home. I started doing the recommends reps but couldn't do 3 sets as recommended. But I did them daily as much as I could. Well, yesterday, I did all 3 sets for each exercise as recommended!

The moral of my story is check out some fitness magazines, either at the library, or your local news stand, or even at your doctor's office.

Good luck and happy lifting!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've recently begun lifting. I don't belong to a gym, but I went to Walmart and paid $1.99 for (2) two pound weights. I just starting holding them as I did things like squats and lunges. Then about a week ago, I took a friend to the doctor for an epidural shot. I sat in the waiting room while she was in for her treatment and they had some fitness magazines. I saw an article that had directions and pictures of exercises with weights that target "the middle section" which is my problem area.

I very quietly tore out those pages and took them home. I started doing the recommends reps but couldn't do 3 sets as recommended. But I did them daily as much as I could. Well, yesterday, I did all 3 sets for each exercise as recommended!

The moral of my story is check out some fitness magazines, either at the library, or your local news stand, or even at your doctor's office.

Good luck and happy lifting!

And maybe increasing those pounds. My purse weighs at least 20lbs lol
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm a big advocate for The New Rules of Lifting for Women as well. It's a GREAT program....before I started, I had no idea where to begin either. You can check out the link to my blog on this topic below since I answered questions from my friends about the program there. I think you'd LOVE NROL4W! My blog includes links to support groups for NROL4W within MFP and handy pre-made spreadsheets for your workouts...all you have to do is enter YOUR data (age, weight, height) and it does the rest for you :-)

http://www.transformingabetterme.blogspot.com/

Best wishes on your weightlifting journey!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money...

There are tons of videos on youtube on Circuit Training for Women, they are beneficial to look at especially if you don't have a gym membership. Most channels guide you through the workout and do a good job explaining it.

If you're looking for something with a regimen, I suggest BodyBuilding.com (it's not just for guys), there are tons of guides/plans for women who want to tone/gain strength.

Just do a bit of research before investing large sums of money on opinionated products or trainers. Most of the time you have to adjust your training to your own body anyway because everyone is different.

Good luck!
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I actually paid $25 bucks to work with a trainer and get a routine. She showed me the correct form and started me on the weight I needed to start at, which wasn't much. For me, my goal is to get stronger so I can improve my cardio workouts. That means lower weights and more repetitions. It does depend on what you want to get out of the strength training, so my suggestion is to cough up the cash and work with someone. Then read books and tweak your routine for you.

I suggest you read NRoLfW as well.

I have just started reading it. Less weight does not make you stronger. Building your muscles to lift more weight is what makes you stronger. Repetition is endurance, not strength.

I'm a preacher already!! :-)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com
    startingstrength.com

^This
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    stronglifts.com
    startingstrength.com

^This

Agreed. Both are free programs. I do think NROLFW has a lot of info (so maybe get it from your library) but prefer these programs.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com
    startingstrength.com

^This

Agreed. Both are free programs. I do think NROLFW has a lot of info (so maybe get it from your library) but prefer these programs.

Exactly. I've been doing Strong Lifts. And New Rule's nutrition section has a few "myths" included in it...
  • mistylee0104
    mistylee0104 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • justjen317
    Options
    bump
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Lots of fantastic advice here.

I say, walk right over to those folks in the 'other side' of the gym and introduce yourself. Tell them you'd like to begin. Ask them for help correcting form if they notice you slipping at all.

Do some homework and look up videos, read instructions. Buy that new rules of lifting book or follow Jamie Eason's Live Fit program (free). Do not fret about using light weights at first. We all start somewhere.