I can't keep motivated!

Options
This is my first week going on a diet and exercising right and I just feel like I can't keep myself motivated. I feel good after my workouts and all which is great but its the process of going to work out. And also today I felt super hungry! Like I just wanted to eat everything. I am trying to keep my carbs low because I think that is what's causing me to gain weight. Today I walked my dog for 25 minutes and did Zumba for 30 minutes. I just don't think I can do this....='[...HELP! Any support and motivation will be grateful!

Replies

• srturner
    srturner Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow, that sounds like me. Today I crashed and I did eat everything. Tommorrow I plan on eating breakfast, a healthy snack, a hearty but healthy lunch, if I get a slight bit hungry I plan on bringing out a healthy snack. After working out, I hope to drink plenty of water and then go home cook and eat in moderation. I don't know, this is just a thought. But seriously if you r having trouble then you need a partner. :)
  • Cortnizzle
    Options
    The first week is the hardest because you have to change your old habits, but as long as you stick with it, you learn different foods and you find you can survive and be happy too, I promise you it gets easier as long as you stay with it. Don;t get discouraged because then you will just stay the way you are and if you are here then you obviously aren't happy, but you have to find your willpower. Don't convince yourself that you are happy if you really aren't. and no one can change you but you so promise yourself you wont give up and you will see good changes that just snowball into great changes!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You just gotta ask yourself if losing weight is worth it to you. How bad do you want it. You have one choice. Either do it or don't. You can do it and make a change or don't and just stay the way you are. It all comes down to how bad you want it.
  • tantrum69
    tantrum69 Posts: 16
    Options
    The first couple of weeks will be the hardest for you. Slowly but surely the cravings will start to go away, make changes to your diet slowly (mine took about 2 months to weed out all the garbage) - if you cold turkey everything you will rebound.

Also, carbs are not bad for you, nor is fat. You need to have a balance of your macronutrients - protein, carbs, and fats. Your body is cruel in that if you carb cut too much, it will hold onto them for dear life the next chance it gets.

My macro split is 35% protein, 40% , 25% fats. What this means is that 40% of my daily calories come from fat.

1g protein = 4 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories
    1g fat = 9 calories

Use your weight, age, your activity level and figure out your bmr (you can do it here on this site).

Also, I would suggest 6 meals a day. the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner, with a 'snack' in between. In general you should be eating something every 2-3 hours. Take your calories, divide by the number of meals you eat per day to figure out how much protein, carbs, and fats you should aim for in a particular meal.

Drink tons of water, cut down and eventually out salt as much as possible. Pay attention to Sodium content in pre-packed and especially canned foods, is ridiculously high.

Keep in mind that 1lb of fat is equal to 3500 calories. That is why they say you should aim for a caloric deficit of 500 calories below your maintenance level to lose 1 lb each week. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs.

All that said once you start seeing some results - it will motivate you more and more and you'll be a champ.

Remember, losing weight is more about getting a good clean diet than it is exercise. Yes you want the exercise but you can workout like mad and it won't matter if you don't have your diet in check.

Also avod 'white/simple' carbs. Veggies, whole grains, brown rice is the way to go. Clean proteins (salmon, talapia, chicken breast (no skin), and good fats (unsaturated) - omega 3's, flax, fish oil.

You will love the new you.... take it from a guy who was really fat and now has his goal only months away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. You REALLY have to want this or else you'll find every excuse not to do it. Write down on paper a pros and cons list. Write everything down on both sides that apply or that you think of. If you cons side is more dominant, then this may be part of the reason you can't stay motivated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks will be the hardest for you. Slowly but surely the cravings will start to go away, make changes to your diet slowly (mine took about 2 months to weed out all the garbage) - if you cold turkey everything you will rebound.

Also, carbs are not bad for you, nor is fat. You need to have a balance of your macronutrients - protein, carbs, and fats. Your body is cruel in that if you carb cut too much, it will hold onto them for dear life the next chance it gets.

My macro split is 35% protein, 40% , 25% fats. What this means is that 40% of my daily calories come from fat.

1g protein = 4 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories
    1g fat = 9 calories

Use your weight, age, your activity level and figure out your bmr (you can do it here on this site).

Also, I would suggest 6 meals a day. the usual breakfast, lunch, dinner, with a 'snack' in between. In general you should be eating something every 2-3 hours. Take your calories, divide by the number of meals you eat per day to figure out how much protein, carbs, and fats you should aim for in a particular meal.

Drink tons of water, cut down and eventually out salt as much as possible. Pay attention to Sodium content in pre-packed and especially canned foods, is ridiculously high.

Keep in mind that 1lb of fat is equal to 3500 calories. That is why they say you should aim for a caloric deficit of 500 calories below your maintenance level to lose 1 lb each week. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs.

All that said once you start seeing some results - it will motivate you more and more and you'll be a champ.

Remember, losing weight is more about getting a good clean diet than it is exercise. Yes you want the exercise but you can workout like mad and it won't matter if you don't have your diet in check.

Also avod 'white/simple' carbs. Veggies, whole grains, brown rice is the way to go. Clean proteins (salmon, talapia, chicken breast (no skin), and good fats (unsaturated) - omega 3's, flax, fish oil.

You will love the new you.... take it from a guy who was really fat and now has his goal only months away.

Awesome post! Lots of good tips.

Op, you might start with little changes because doing too many changes at once can be overwhelming. Maybe just start out by committing to exercise 3x/week for 30 minutes. That's it. Once that becomes your routine, you can add more or you can then cut down your calories a bit but don't go for huge changes in the types of food you eat. Once you get used to eating a bit less, then you might try changing to healthier choices. You can even take this in baby steps by maybe deciding to eat more vegetables. Once you get used to that, you can work on other macros. Don't start out trying to chug all your water, maybe just go for one glass at each meal at first.

This isn't a race. There's nothing wrong with taking it one step at a time. And once you've done just one thing, and personally, I would start with the exercising, and start to see good results form that, I guarantee you that you'll be anxious to do more because you'll start realizing how much better you feel.

Oh, don't cut your calories too low and allow yourself some splurges. It's about a lifestyle change, not deprivation. And don't even weigh for awhile. Focus on getting more fit and improving your eating. Those are the things you can control. You can't control the scale. But the scale will eventually cooperate once you get the other pieces in place.

Best wishes!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    you have to watch every step of the way BUT it's a long road lose a battle here and there but never give up the fight. I'm not at my peak all the time, don't beat yourself up after one week look and see where you want to be next year, we don't get out of shape over night and we are not going to lose 1000lbs by the end of the week. Hang in there it's a fight worth it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. You REALLY have to want this or else you'll find every excuse not to do it. Write down on paper a pros and cons list. Write everything down on both sides that apply or that you think of. If you cons side is more dominant, then this may be part of the reason you can't stay motivated.
    This! The only time I was successful at anything, the motivation came from within. Outside motivation is fleeting. I can't motivate you. No-one can. If you want it bad enough, you'll do it. If you don't stick with it, it would seem you didn't want it bad enough.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    I just don't think I can do this....='[...HELP! Any support and motivation will be grateful!

In order to be successful
    One must defeat the demons within themselves
    The fight is inside your mind
    And you are fighting a losing battle if you keep on telling yourself "I CANT DO THIS"
    You must tell yourself 'I CAN DO THIS'
    Because there is absolutely no reason why you cannot
    You must change the way you perceive life
    Because THIS IS YOUR LIFE, THIS IS YOUR HEALTH
    Your mind is a constant battlefield
    And there's a war going on in there
    Stopping you from believing in yourself
    All of this HAS TO CHANGE
    And the change starts with a thought
    The thought manifests to an idea
    The idea into a goal
    And the more positive thoughts that you have
    The better the idea, and the better the goal.
    You're going to have to power through everything and give it your all
    And realize this! realize that your success is a product of that one single positive thought
    So start thinking positively
    Your mind is a reflection of your body
    If you change your mind, you can change your body
    Be one with your mind, body and soul
    Because when it comes to health
    Your state of mind is as important as diet/exercise
    So remember these words that i write for you
    And take it to heart and start to change the way you think
    To create a better you.

- Akiramezu
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The first few days for me where the hardest ever, I got a few bad headaches and when I felt hungry (which you do in the first few days) I went for a bit of a lie down.

You've got to take one day at a time, and realise this isn't a diet, this is just changing your lifestyle for a better, healthier you! If you want to lose weight and maintain the loss you're going to have to keep up the new healthy lifestyle - not a diet for life!

Try and push through a day at a time, and the next day will become easier, then soon you'll start seeing results and that will serve as motivation.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing the numbers on the scale go down - and every time I want to binge I think about that!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit sorry for your dog if taking the dog for a walk is a new thing, it should be walked every day anyway.

it takes time, concentrate on 1 or 2 small changes every week.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    AGREE with ninerbuff!!!! I have always said that your biggest motivator is yourself!! You have to want it and if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. I know this sounds too simple to be true but it is.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit sorry for your dog if taking the dog for a walk is a new thing, it should be walked every day anyway.

it takes time, concentrate on 1 or 2 small changes every week.
    This ^
    If motivation is the problem, and making small steps to get there is the way you feel you should go, then by all means, JUST walk your dog everyday. This isn't about your dog, your dog has the right to exercise and when you bought it, you committed to taking good care of it. Try just a brisk 15 minute walk per day for the first week or 2 and NO SWEETS. Just small frequent feeds of good food. Make sure you log everything in, good, bad, ugly...and dont forget to add in your exercise calories, cuz you get to eat those back!
  • mellyboo17
    mellyboo17 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys for your kind words. I am about to go to the park for a walk with my sister and DOG....(don't feel sorry for my dog, she loves to walk!) And yeah, hopefully today is a better day and I do want this so bad especially because my sisters wedding is a few months away! I hope all you guys have a great day!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys for your kind words. I am about to go to the park for a walk with my sister and DOG....(don't feel sorry for my dog, she loves to walk!) And yeah, hopefully today is a better day and I do want this so bad especially because my sisters wedding is a few months away! I hope all you guys have a great day!
    You missed the point...LOL. We only feel sorry for your dog if your NOT walking it! :sad:
  • mellyboo17
    mellyboo17 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh I don't, well I didn't before but she is a small dog and runs around all over the house for exercise hahaha. I get you now!