no sugar for one month...any one try this?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    When I did this I got repeated hypoglycemic attacks several times out of the blue and they were AWFUL and made me feel terrible for many hours afterwards. I started eating more sugar to minimize these attacks and I went to the doc to get my blood work done just in case. He found nothing wrong with me so I am pretty darn sure it was my diet of low sugar. He told me to get some Chromium Picolinate which I did and I changed up my diet and have not had them in almost 5-6 months. I no longer need the Chromium P. Be careful playing with your body needs.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Processed sugars right? those do the damage to your body. your skin sags and wrinkles, you organs overwork... natural from the foods yes, syrups from fruits and veggies? no... still processed!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Processed sugars right? those do the damage to your body. your skin sags and wrinkles, you organs overwork... natural from the foods yes, syrups from fruits and veggies? no... still processed!
    Would like to see actual clinical evidence of the claims here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Several times for several months in a row. No sugar- no soft drinks- no artificial sweeteners. I enjoy fresh fruits but no grapes or fruit juice.
  • get_it_together
    get_it_together Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this challenge... but I am concerned about the amount of sugar in fruits... I'm always over my sugar goal for the day because of the sugar in fruits... 2 servings of fruit take me over my limit, then add the sugar in the other foods and I'm over like 20-40 grams... is this okay?
  • mrsred79
    mrsred79 Posts: 79
    Options
    I actually just started with the Belly Fat Cure. (I know, I know...you can't spot reduce fat...but I'm trying to cut out the processed sugar and figure this is a good place to start to make it a lifestyle change instead of just a temporary diet.)

Feel free to add me if you'd like. It would be nice to have a few on my FL that are trying to minimize the processed sugars as well.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 100g+ of sugar a day.

Why? I can't help it. It's all I eat.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'm on a candida diet which doesn't allow refined sugar and I feel like I could live the rest of my life without it. The thing that stopped me from craving sugar is english toffee flavored stevia in my water.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try this starting today - bar sugar from fruit and vegetables!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this challenge... but I am concerned about the amount of sugar in fruits... I'm always over my sugar goal for the day because of the sugar in fruits... 2 servings of fruit take me over my limit, then add the sugar in the other foods and I'm over like 20-40 grams... is this okay?

sugar from fruit is fine, you can't avoid it if you like fruit :)
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Refined sugars - I try to avoid totally.

Being vegetarian means most sweets and chocolate are no go areas anyway.

I even try to keep natural sugars down

I eat 1 or 2 portions of fruit per day maximum - but about 10 portions of veggies a day!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I did it for a year at one point. The first 3 months are hard. After that it was a breeze.

The first time you break it for any reason though you're back at square one. It's so addictive if you have even one coke, you'll crave it for months again.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump, Im in for the serious folks only. Especially if youre already on a plan. Friend me.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Just a question. After a month, you're going to eat sugar again? If you are, then why give it up? Why not figure out how to just portion it?

^ This. If you can't handle the change indefinitely, why try for just a month? Make small changes you can sustain rather than drastic ones that will lead you to a short-term-success-quick-fail cycle that will leave you psychologically worn out and make you want to quit altogether.
  • AmyMW7
    AmyMW7 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Sure, i'm in. I'll do it until the end of April.

I'm almost to my goal weight (1 pound away) and upped my calories and have really been struggling.
    and sugar is the problem. those darn cookies and chocolate.
    even after 2 years and 80 pounds lost, it's still an issue for me.

so, yes, i'll stay away from it for a month (probably need to stay away from it forever:-) ha)
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    thats what i did for first 2 months of my cut... carb cycling... my sugars were near 0... didnt even eat fruits or anything like that...
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I gave up baked goods and candy for Lent. The first week was really tough, but I have now adjusted. I am really going to keep it up after Lent.
  • owyn999
    owyn999 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm at day 27 and I feel great. I had planned for this to just be a month but I see no reason to go back to sugar. Even chocolate which I used to eat every day I know longer have cravings for. The first week was hell, I felt twitchy, angry and had really bad headaches. The cravings were more intense then I've ever had in my life. I think it was such an extreme withdrawal that helped me realize just how addicted I was. Mentally when I put sugar in the same bucket as alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, it all made sense.

I feel more energetic, less hungry and Ive lost 4kg. My palate has changed, nutritious foods like meat and veggies taste so much better and cheap processed food tastes dull. Also my teeth don't hurt any more, even when I drink really cold water.

As for people saying just to limit portions, I think this is well meaning but the wrong approach. Unlike other foods a little bit of sugar increases cravings rather than sates them. Also your body's sense of sweetness is completely thrown out by refined sugars. Bell peppers, carrots, etc all have a beautiful sweetness to them that you can't appreciate until you give it a chance to rebaseline, and then you realise how sickly sweet confectionary really is. About 6 months ago I went a month without chocolate (but still ate othet sugars in moderation) and I craved it every day till I finished then binged till I was sick. I also think moderation is the wrong idea because you can completely replace processed sugars with sugars in whole foods. No one says to eat trans fats in moderation.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I did that for a year in high school. Need to get back to it again! Had my son last November and it's really the only thing that works for me...