bump
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @ blair and tori.

Please be inspired and realize no fear is required.

Read all the success you want.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I had the same concept: higher output and less intake should equal amazing/quick results right? My pic to the left shows what happened. I gained mass in the gym but in two ways. Muscle and fat. I was stumped until I noticed a friend lose 70 lbs and I know for a fact he wasn't in the gym doing what I was doing. I found he went to a doctor that specialized in nutrition and began to ask about what I took in food wise. We determined I was taking in as much as a 12 year old (I'm 41) and had put myself into perpetual starvation mode. Once explained properly I had a big "well, duh" moment. The methods used in my 20's and 30's doesn't quite cut it nowadays. I've almost doubled my intake of good, quality food and have noticed differences in this first week already and look forward to the months to come. I hope this helps someone out there.... :D
  • cwells081011
    Options
    What do yall do if you work at night? I work out at night after my kids and hubby go to bed. I hate to think I have to sit down and eat the 300 calories I just burned off. Should I eat peanut butter with a fruit? I need to loose 50 lbs but I'm lucky if I get a pound here and a pound there. I'm aloud to have 1350 calories. I work out 5 times a weeek. Should I up my calories?
  • heybales
    Options
    What do yall do if you work at night? I work out at night after my kids and hubby go to bed. I hate to think I have to sit down and eat the 300 calories I just burned off. Should I eat peanut butter with a fruit? I need to loose 50 lbs but I'm lucky if I get a pound here and a pound there. I'm aloud to have 1350 calories. I work out 5 times a weeek. Should I up my calories?

Yes, and don't select 2 lb weight loss goal. You are allowed because you made the goal. Change the goal and you'll be allowed to eat more. Actually, you may have selected 1.5 or 1lb, since you don't have the magical 1200, in which case, very smart.

But, do they really know what your total daily maintenance calories is?

Did you log any days the way you used to eat that maintained your current weight?
    That is your true maintenance calories, you take 1000 from that figure, not an estimated one. That would be the best method, but truly hardly anyone knows that figure.
    So we go for estimated, not even questioning how close it is to truth.

If after a cardio workout, really need the carbs for sure, those can be built up the next morning.
    Only the MFP day starts at midnight, you can log some of that food in the morning for the previous day since that is what it is feeding afterall.
  • heybales
    Options
    I had the same concept: higher output and less intake should equal amazing/quick results right? My pic to the left shows what happened. I gained mass in the gym but in two ways. Muscle and fat. I was stumped until I noticed a friend lose 70 lbs and I know for a fact he wasn't in the gym doing what I was doing. I found he went to a doctor that specialized in nutrition and began to ask about what I took in food wise. We determined I was taking in as much as a 12 year old (I'm 41) and had put myself into perpetual starvation mode. Once explained properly I had a big "well, duh" moment. The methods used in my 20's and 30's doesn't quite cut it nowadays. I've almost doubled my intake of good, quality food and have noticed differences in this first week already and look forward to the months to come. I hope this helps someone out there.... :D

Oh man, now that you are feeding the workouts, you are going to be so strong!
    You'll have to watch the fat melt away, because I'll bet the scales won't show it at first.
  • 13joanne
    13joanne Posts: 59
    Options
    Well done love it !! I have wondered about extra work out cals I will be seeing if that makes a difference as I go to the gym 6 days a week x
  • cwells081011
    Options
    O my gosh! I did what you told me. I'm also a stay at home mom, I changed my light active to active and changed my 2 lbs to 1lb a week. I'm now allowed over 2,000 calories a day!! I will be eating all day long...I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ive bumped minewayyyyy up to 1.7 and 1.9 on weight lifting days.....Bit scary really.

Im gonna give it a month, its taken about a month to have no change whatseoeverl so I have nothing to lose! Except body fat :p
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    O my gosh! I did what you told me. I'm also a stay at home mom, I changed my light active to active and changed my 2 lbs to 1lb a week. I'm now allowed over 2,000 calories a day!! I will be eating all day long...I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.

And please dont be afraid to eat at night either.

My initial weight loss happened when I started eating carbs later in the evening.
    I'd have a full bowl of cereal before bed!
    Once I started getting below 14% BF that changed a little but I'll still do it on heavy eating days.

If you work out at night, try and save extra calories for pre and post workout meals!
    This is called bracketing!
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    @ helloitsdan and heybales

Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated! I sincerely hope my BMR hasn't slowed down...I will gradually increase my calories over the next month and see how I go.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am 30 years old. I am 5'1 and currently weigh 121 lbs. I am aiming to lose about 7 more lbs. I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids ages 4 and under---so I would say I am lightly active. I am on my feet quite a bit doing housework and taking care of my kids. I also workout about 5-6 days a week between 30-60 minutes. I usually burn between 200-400 calories.
    I put all this into the Fat 2 Fit radio.com website and it is telling me that my BMR is 1322, I have 20% body fat and that for lightly active I need 1783 calories a day. Can someone tell me is that NET calories? Because if I ate 1783 calories + 200 exercise calories (or 400 depending on my workout) that is A LOT of food. I was currently netting between 1350-1550 calories---but my weight loss has been stalled so I guess I will try it. The scale isn't moving anyways:tongue: .
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and reading the success stories!!! I'm hopeful that I might still become a success story, but not yet.

I'm 3 weeks in to gradually increasing calories to 1900 ( @helloitsdan recommended 2000 for a while then increasing to 2200 every other day). As of today I'm up 1.2# over three weeks, though that can swing as much as 3# either way on a given day. I honestly consider that maintaining. The bad news is, I've been 'maintaining' for 2 years while trying to lose 15#. The good news is I'm no 'maintaining' on 1900 calories a day and I WAS 'maintaining' on 1200. :love:

@helloitsdan, thanks for your willingness to help so many here.

Keep the success stories coming! They are really encouraging when I start to feel like I'm lost and wandering aimlessly in the fog of weight loss information.
  • joyfuljan77
    joyfuljan77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Interesting info! Saving to read later.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    I am 30 years old. I am 5'1 and currently weigh 121 lbs. I am aiming to lose about 7 more lbs. I am a stay at home mom to 3 kids ages 4 and under---so I would say I am lightly active. I am on my feet quite a bit doing housework and taking care of my kids. I also workout about 5-6 days a week between 30-60 minutes. I usually burn between 200-400 calories.
    I put all this into the Fat 2 Fit radio.com website and it is telling me that my BMR is 1322, I have 20% body fat and that for lightly active I need 1783 calories a day. Can someone tell me is that NET calories? Because if I ate 1783 calories + 200 exercise calories (or 400 depending on my workout) that is A LOT of food. I was currently netting between 1350-1550 calories---but my weight loss has been stalled so I guess I will try it. The scale isn't moving anyways:tongue: .

That estimate includes all activity, unlike the MFP method that includes no exercise, and you add that back when accomplished.

So if Lightly Active is correct assessment of your daily routine including exercise (notice the descriptions), that is daily goal, not net. But Lightly Active sounds correct for just the kids aspect, but you are exercising, you are much higher, and there is a description for 5-6 days a week exercise, so that is the correct one.
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok...so i went to the Fat 2 Fit website and did all the cals.

So someone please help guide me!!! Pretty pretty please!

Here's the stats:

Entered information: 32 year old female, 65 inches tall, weighing 162 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 140 lbs.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 43.3%, you have a lean body mass of 92 lbs., and your BMR is 1273 calories.

BMR 1273
    BF% 43.3%

From the chart:
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2199

So...please tell me what this means?

MFP has me eating 1,300 cals a day. I do workout. Why does this all have to be so confusing...? :grumble:
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!
  • heybales
    Options

You are inspired!

But those 2 changes together may have been a bit much. :ohwell:

What is your current BMR?

Tools - BMR calc

See, now when a smaller but still safer number is thrown out, it'll be a relief to you!