Major sucess with higher calories!

Options

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    But how do you know whether to go with the Harris-Benedict or Katch-McArdle formula?
  • jen040801
    Options
    bump
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    congrats and good luck to you
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jen040801
    Options
    can anyone tell me how to up the my calories? Thanks!
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank god I wasn't the only one who though 1200 was WAY to low!
    I changed my diary to the Olivia Method, check it out on how to set it up that way in the forum search box. :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Based on the countless posts (keep them coming), I plan to do some tweaking very soon.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This thread is intriguing me...I've been on 1200 calories since November, and I feel that now I should be eating more as I only have 14 more lbs to lose.

I'm 5'6'', 19, female, started at 170 lbs, (have lost 36 lbs), currently at 134 lbs, and want to get down to 120 lbs. In the past month or so, I've only been losing 0.5 lb a week despite always being at or under my calorie goal, and doing cardio for 30-45 mins, 4-5 times a week...I'm just terrified of eating more. I'm scared of gaining to be honest.

im in the same boat as you....im so scared of upping :/ i feel like im just gona turn obese! how about you do a one week challenge with me? my friend psulemon suggested it and says for a week i shud eat 1700 (dont eat back excercise cals) and see what happens. that sounds like a huge amount of food but hey why not, a week is a week!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Give it a go!
    Keepin in mind that burning anything above the 1700 means weight loss!
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump

I am thinking that I should be upping my calories soon...however, it's hard because my meals have LOTS of veggies in them and they don't have many calories and they are filling. LOL
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump
  • colleentrt
    Options
    Thanks for the post! After reading your story and many others like yours I think I finally found out what I am doing wrong! Starting tomorrow I will eat my burned calories. Wish me luck!
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    This thread is intriguing me...I've been on 1200 calories since November, and I feel that now I should be eating more as I only have 14 more lbs to lose.

I'm 5'6'', 19, female, started at 170 lbs, (have lost 36 lbs), currently at 134 lbs, and want to get down to 120 lbs. In the past month or so, I've only been losing 0.5 lb a week despite always being at or under my calorie goal, and doing cardio for 30-45 mins, 4-5 times a week...I'm just terrified of eating more. I'm scared of gaining to be honest.

im in the same boat as you....im so scared of upping :/ i feel like im just gona turn obese! how about you do a one week challenge with me? my friend psulemon suggested it and says for a week i shud eat 1700 (dont eat back excercise cals) and see what happens. that sounds like a huge amount of food but hey why not, a week is a week!

I might as well, It's scary but we'll never know if we don't try, right? I'll start tomorrow and do it for a week (until next Thursday), then weigh in and hope to see a loss (even if it's a very minor one!). I'll report back in a week! :)

Edit: I've decided I'm going to increase to 1400 rather than 1700, I'm not brave enough to go up to 1700. My BMR is 1399 and I would call myself sedentary, so I think 1400 for me is a good start. Hopefully I'll see some results and increase gradually to 1700 :)
  • rscott813
    rscott813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note...

The human body takes at least 2 weeks to adjust.

Changing a diet for 1 week then changing it to another will do nothing but wreak havoc on your hormones.

If you do decide to up your numbers you WILL gain water weight for the first 3 days.
    Then youll have more energy to do the things you are trying to do to lose weight.

Please dont jump in for a week because you will not see any difference except in water weight.

Commit to a month then see where you stand.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    But how do you know whether to go with the Harris-Benedict or Katch-McArdle formula?

All the BMR calc's are based on studies of people AT healthy weight, so they are all off, and more so, when you weigh more. Or at healthy weight but very muscular.

That being said, if you have a decent bodyfat % estimate, Katch-McArdle is going be more accurate, then MFP's Mifflin, and then the Harris used by most other sites.
  • heybales
    Options
    can anyone tell me how to up the my calories? Thanks!

Add 200 a day for a week, like a snack associated with a workout, pre or post, which ever makes sense with the closest meal.
    The next week, increase 2 meals by 100 cal each.
    The next week, again 200 cal until you are there.

If you have been running a big workout routine with lots of cardio, your glucose/water stores will be depleted.
    As you increase and they get a chance to top off, you can gain 3 lbs of glucose/water weight.
    That is good healthy weight, energy stores, but not fat stores.

If you really have had a big workout routine for a couple months, it would also be very good when you hit the week of eating at BMR level, before you move higher, is take a week off exercising while eating at that BMR level.
    Only walk up to 3mph during your allotted workout time. This gives body a chance to recover and reset, see that the food doesn't need to be stored, but can increase metabolism. And walking is mainly fat burning.
  • heybales
    Options

I might as well, It's scary but we'll never know if we don't try, right? I'll start tomorrow and do it for a week (until next Thursday), then weigh in and hope to see a loss (even if it's a very minor one!). I'll report back in a week! :)

Edit: I've decided I'm going to increase to 1400 rather than 1700, I'm not brave enough to go up to 1700. My BMR is 1399 and I would call myself sedentary, so I think 1400 for me is a good start. Hopefully I'll see some results and increase gradually to 1700 :)

I hate to say it, but with this short term view you both have, you are both going to be mighty disappointed when you see weight gain first.
    Then you'll bop off to something else probably.

Whoever asked why their weight loss seems to have slowed to a crawl - that's because that is what you did to your metabolism.

You took several week to make it slower, be willing to give it several weeks to wake back up again.

And since you slowed your BMR probably down to below 900 cal a day, ALL your exercise calories and daily activity no longer burn what you think they burn.
    Your 1200 eating level is no longer a deficit with BMR around 900, it is now almost maintenance level.

This is exactly how you create a stall - eat too little, exercise too much, and don't eat it back. Your BMR plummets, your deficit eating is now maintenance level.

So think about this. Do you really want to eat less and/or exercise more?

I sure hope you don't think chasing a downward spiral is the correct direction. Let your metabolism fly!