Chia seeds: fad OR fab?

Options
I'm seeing a lot about chia seeds lately, and am admittedly leery of "the next superfood". Thoughts?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they're just a fad or not. But I love taking a tablespoon or two, soaking them in water and then stirring them into my greek yogurt. So tasty! And I love that they look like caviar after they've been soaked, it makes me want to create a recipe where they can serve as faux-caviar. :)

I honestly haven't read much on them at all and couldn't tell you a single one of their actual health benefits (I think they have fiber so that would help with feeling more full), all I know is that a friend told me they were super tasty, so I tried them and agree. heheh
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I like them. I know they are a good souce of omegas, but I can't remember what all else they offer. A friend of mine gave a very convincing schpiel about all their benefits. I just forgot most of it. I was bummed to find out that the little bitty scoop I usually like to put in my mels adds like 75 calories though.
  • Sparklie23
    Options
    looks like basil seed... are they the same ? (I used to eat basil seeds in some dessert, but I have no clue what Chia seeds are)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    They are a spectacular food, one of the best seeds to eat.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They're pretty nutritious and easy to put into anything really as they don't really taste of much. No food is a wonder food and they're definitely not calorie free but I think they're great!
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Although I am sure they are healthy, I don't think the health benefit of chia seeds over other nuts and seeds alone does not justify the price difference. However, chia seeds are super useful for vegan baking - similar to a 'flax egg', the fact that chia seeds start gelling in contact with water means they are great for making vegan pancakes, cookies etc. And that is all I use them for these days. For salads, smoothies, granola, porridge etc. I use sunflower seeds, almonds, hemp seeds etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Their healthy and their only a fad if you haven't heard of them before, or have never eaten foods that would be classified as healthier by the general public. :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Although I am sure they are healthy, I don't think the health benefit of chia seeds over other nuts and seeds alone does not justify the price difference. However, chia seeds are super useful for vegan baking - similar to a 'flax egg', the fact that chia seeds start gelling in contact with water means they are great for making vegan pancakes, cookies etc. And that is all I use them for these days. For salads, smoothies, granola, porridge etc. I use sunflower seeds, almonds, hemp seeds etc.

I buy them from the bulk bins and they're pretty much the same price as the other nuts and seeds. Pretty mid-range on the price actually. Buck or two more per pound than some nuts and seeds (like almonds) and a buck or so less per pound than others (like pistachios).
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Chia seeds here are cheap as chips, I got a bag for £1.50

Whereas a bag of nuts at the same weight is £3-£6
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We've been using chia seeds at our house and they're great. Good source omega-3, and energy..did my research awhile back and thought they were worth buying, but I bought a bag online so it was a lot less money than buying them at the health food store.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Been tempted, but they are very expensive in the health food stores here in the Uk.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've been using them to sprinkle on my salads and also in my pancakes. I thought they were fantastic because of the Omega-3s but I didn't realize that they are comparable to ground flax seeds in that respect.

Much that I read about the chia seed is wonderful but I can't say that I feel anything different. I have been using both flax and chia seeds for about 6 months now.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds help detox your body gently and naturally and are high in omega 3s, magnesium, calcium and antioxidants. Check this article out.... Interesting stuff!

http://www.breakthroughhealthclinic.com/1/category/chia seeds/1.html