Ladies, when you say, "I lift, little cardio." What does tha

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Love this... since I just had a conversation with a friend reminding me that I would need to do some cardio if I really wanted to lose weight. But I'm sold out to the other camp now. LOL

I've been watching diet since January 14th and started New Rules of Lifting for Women on February 6th.

When I started I was trying to do two days of planned "cardio" each week, as well as generally increased activity, and three days a week of lifting. I've stopped trying to plan cardio workouts, and now my cardio consists of whatever is happening. Today it was shoveling snow. LOL

So far I've lost about 8 lb (not sure since I haven't weighed since a week ago) and lost 9.75" overall, and seen some real changes in strength... not to mention in confidence.

Squat - from 20lb to 80 lb
    Deadlift - from 20lb to 135 lb!!
    Pushups - from barely able to do one, now at three sets of ten (on my knees, but still)

If you can do 3 sets of 10 on your knees, you can do a few on your toes. Promise. Try it and see.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Love this... since I just had a conversation with a friend reminding me that I would need to do some cardio if I really wanted to lose weight. But I'm sold out to the other camp now. LOL

I've been watching diet since January 14th and started New Rules of Lifting for Women on February 6th.

When I started I was trying to do two days of planned "cardio" each week, as well as generally increased activity, and three days a week of lifting. I've stopped trying to plan cardio workouts, and now my cardio consists of whatever is happening. Today it was shoveling snow. LOL

So far I've lost about 8 lb (not sure since I haven't weighed since a week ago) and lost 9.75" overall, and seen some real changes in strength... not to mention in confidence.

Squat - from 20lb to 80 lb
    Deadlift - from 20lb to 135 lb!!
    Pushups - from barely able to do one, now at three sets of ten (on my knees, but still)

Loved reading how the amounts you are lifting have increased since you started the program! It sounds like we started out at very similar weights so I am excited to see where I can go.

Also I remember reading that he specifically stated not to do the push ups on your knees because by doing them that way you are not engaging your core. To do them at the different angles like they show in the book.
  • BodyFuel
    BodyFuel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've always done weights because I do not care for cardio, but you must mix some in. When I lift I make sure to put in jumping jacks or abs to keep my heart rate up during the lifting sessions. You need to use weights if you want to sculpt plus it helps trim the body. If you are new to lifting make sure that you learn proper form. So many people hit the gym and waste their time due to not understanding form. Learn about mind to muscle connection and make sure you breathe during your lifts, it helps tighten the core which leads to better a stronger core and ab definition. Best wishes!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I lift 3 days/wk and the most cardio I get is playing with my kids. I just switched from straight legged deadlifts to regular deads this week.

Squat: 130x3x5
    Dead: 135x1x5, 145x2x5
    bench 95x3x5
    One arm db row 40x3x6
    db shoulder press 30x3x5
    Lat pulldown 125x3x6
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Not a lady, but I'll throw an observation in anyways. I loath cardio. I believe cardio is the most evil thing ever created. However, I force myself to do it every once and a while. However, I found that when I did Madcow's 5x5, with zero cardio, I started cardio again and was able to run longer than I did previously. For those who say strength training has no cardio benefits, they're flat out lying (if you're working hard).

Now I can't run a marathon or anything, but I could probably do decently in a 5k....but who needs to run more than 3 miles at a time anyways.
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    WOW! I really appreciate all the replies!!!!

I just started the following schedule:

1) Indo-Row class (featured on Biggest Loser) 6x a week
    2) Brazilian Butt Lift Videos (5 different videos 2 of which are cardio, 3 are weights/resistance bands/ankle weights) 6x a week - it varies on what you do each day
    3) C25K 3x a week.

Because of my membership for the rowing class (not at a traditional gym) I can't afford to add a regular gym right now - but I'm going to get that book and see where things take me.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"-- I really want to read it! For those who have read it, random question: are there a lot of pictures/diagrams? I have a Nook, but I find it doesn't work great for books with pictures. Thanks!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I want to read... :)
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I've heard great things about "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"-- I really want to read it! For those who have read it, random question: are there a lot of pictures/diagrams? I have a Nook, but I find it doesn't work great for books with pictures. Thanks!

It does have a lot of pictures. I would recommend getting it from the library first to see if you would like the program. I read the book but found the program overly complicated. I do think it has a lot of good info for women.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over a year now(both with a trainer and on my own.. doing mainly machines and some dumbell work) and doing cardio(mainly walking on a treadmill).

I recently switched it up, and started barbell lifting along with my gyms strength program. I try to lift at least twice a week(once with my trainer and once on my own) and if I manage to squeak in a 3rd day, awesome. Cardio, I do yoga on sundays and then random cardio through out the week if it's not a lifting day and I'm looking for something to do.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Yes, but I also find it helpful to look up videos on YouTube to see the exercises done for me. At first read the program looks complicated, but once you get going you realize that it's got kind of a flow and there is definitely a system at work. First stage was a big psychological boost, working up to lifting big weight, now stage two is still doing some big work but adding some more complicated moves to work slightly different muscle groups. It puts a big emphasis on strengthening your back, too, which I have found really helpful.
  • NiniLeeMarie
    Options
    bump
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I have a question, do you need a gym membership to do the News Rules of Lifting? I'd like to start but don't belong to a gym. I do p90x2 now so I have a good amount of home equipment (pull-up bar, a few dumbbells, and bands.) THanks for yours help!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

2) Brazilian Butt Lift Videos (5 different videos 2 of which are cardio, 3 are weights/resistance bands/ankle weights) 6x a week - it varies on what you do each day
    3) C25K 3x a week.

Because of my membership for the rowing class (not at a traditional gym) I can't afford to add a regular gym right now - but I'm going to get that book and see where things take me.

That seems like a REALLY aggressive workout schedule. I wouldn't try to add anything to that, honestly.
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options

3) C25K 3x a week.

That seems like a REALLY aggressive workout schedule. I wouldn't try to add anything to that, honestly.

I agree. I just added the C25K this week and it is tough. I'm just wondering if I would get better results if I changed something around and did heavier weights.... Plus...I need to see how long my left knee holds up - acts up when running so perhaps substitute weights for C25K...

Analysis paralysis. I'm going to keep moving forward with what I have for now and head to the library to check out that book to see what Can come up with. The rowing classes are not at a traditional gym so if I want to join a gym (am considering one with a pool like the Y so it has weights too) I need to scale back on the rowing classes to make things affordable.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Love this thanks!!
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I literally just finished reading New Rules of Lifting for Women last night and it has SO MUCH information about lifting and diet it's incredible. the paperback is only 12.95 on Amazon and I highly highly recommend it. Even if you are not going to start lifting, for me it was really informative about diet because I had been taking MFP's calorie limit of 1200-1300 at face value when I should have been eating more like 1700.

I really think that if you're interested in lifting you should check out this book. It's easy to read and only took like 2 hours. Plus it has like at least 50 recipes and also 6 MONTHS worth of strength workouts! It's nuts! soooo next week marks week 1 for me! If you decide you want to get the book we can do it together! Feel free to add me :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I to do NROLW. I love it, I'm about a month in. I follow the lifting plans but do my own cardio. I love switching it up between kickboxing, running, hiking and dancing. I get about 3 hours cardio per week and 3 hours of lifting.

Right now I'm lifting:

deadlifts-80 #'s working hard to increase this!! 10x3 sets
    shoulder press-ups-25 #'s 10x3 sets
    lunges-40 #'s 10 each side x 3 sets
    lat pull downs-170 #'s 10x3 sets
    ball crunches 30x3 sets
    squats-90 #'s 10x3 sets
    seated rows-170 #'s 10x3 sets
    push ups 10x3 sets
    step-ups- 60 #'s 10x3 sets
    jack knives 12x3 sets

Good luck!

edited to add: I hold a 35 lb dumbbell on my chest during crunches..it burns so good!