I ran my first 10 minute mile!

Options
m16shane
m16shane Posts: 393 Member
I know its not that huge of an accomplishment but I ran a mile in 9 minutes and 50 seconds! That was after a 20 minute calisthenics workout. Unfortunately I had slow the pace down to a brisk walk after that, but its progress!

15676875.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• sassafrasy
    sassafrasy Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I am running my first 1/2 marathon in 10 days! I have never ran a 10 min. mile. I run slow and steady 12 min. miles so I can have the endurance. Once I complete the 1/2 marathon, my new goal will be a 10 min. mile. How long have you been running?
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thats so great! It takes me 16 mins to jog/walk a mile. Which is good cuz if I just walk it it's like 20 mins. I can't wait to run a while mile. Once again great job and keep it up!
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I was happy I was able to run 3 in 33 min last night, so I'm heading that direction too. Definitely helps every time you lose a bag of potatoes (which is what I refer to every 10 lb increment!) ...

Keep it up! Have you tried the app called Endomondo? It is a runners nirvana ... I <3 it~
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Alright! You are doing great. 5k here you come.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I am running my first 1/2 marathon in 10 days! I have never ran a 10 min. mile. I run slow and steady 12 min. miles so I can have the endurance. Once I complete the 1/2 marathon, my new goal will be a 10 min. mile. How long have you been running?

I really haven't been running a lot. I've been doing a little here and there working myself up to it. I mainly do the free motion elliptical trainer for 30+ minutes because its less stress on my knees. I'm good for quick bursts but not there on the endurance, so a 1/2 marathon would be a big goal for me. Good luck! :)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You better believe that's progress! It's elating isn't it? I remember that day! Now I keep that pace longer. I can do 6 miles in an hour. Once again, it will only get better for me too!
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!

I remember when i started running...
    At the beggining it was difficult to keep a steady pace (10min/mile) for more than 2miles...

Now I achived my best time ever... 6.4 miles in 1h :D

Don't give up, 'cause i know you can do it, 'cause I did!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    That's fantastic!! I never feel like I can get under a 12 minute mile, so thanks for the inspiration!
  • stanlee73
    stanlee73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good effort mate. I ran my first 10 minute mile about 6 weeks ago. I just ran 7.58 today. It get progressively easier...your flat out speed quickly becomes your jogging speed.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing accomplishment! I have been running about a year and can't seem to build that kind of speed. I have done about 5.5 miles in an hour, but thought I was dying. I am hoping that if I just keep doing it, it will get easier. It looks like that may be the case from everyone's posts. I really enjoy reading them as they keep me motivated. :happy:

Also, I love the referral to the bag of potatoes... I look at it as sticks of butter!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :-D
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know how difficult that can be.

Also, the calisthenics helps with your endurance. I do calisthenics as well and yoga, together they help with my running for sure!

Currently I run a little less than 12mins per mile if I did the math correctly... I just did my first 5km race. The goal wasn't to win just to complete the course. I did very well and I am proud of myself. :)

Keep up the good work! You should be proud.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    COngrats- Thats awesome!!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Sounds HUGE to me!!! Great job!!!!!!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome accomplishment!! I ran a little over a 10 min mile yesterday for my first mile- and then it tanked after that for me as well. The point is that it is possible, and working on your endurance will get easier each time!

Way to go!
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    That is fabulous progress! I wish I could....keep up the great work!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    How is that not huge?! Thats awesome!
  • lisaontiveros13
    lisaontiveros13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!