What was the reason you decided to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    After having my first child I noticed I cannot spend much time in the store
    shopping for clothes for myself. I was not happy with how most clothes looked on me
    so I decided to loose weight. I later had 2nd and 3rd child. I successfully lost the weight
    after 1st & 2nd. The family thinks I just shred the weight off like my body is used to it but I
    keep telling them its with hard work. Now I'm loosing weight after #3. What I intend to do is to shop
    take a nice shirt or dress, look at the size and take it home. My kids are too little and get fuzzy at the store.
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    After I had my motorcycle accident in August, I was put on a "neuron receptor nerve blocker" - to help alleviate nerve pain caused by a bruised spinal cord (broke my neck)...when I was stretching out of size 16 jeans, I decided to do some research on this medication....2 of the main side affects are "rapid weight gain and breast enlargement". Okay, I can SO deal with the "girls" getting bigger (was at 34AA most of my adult life lol) - now looking at 36DD, I was liking that part - but what I did NOT find acceptible was the massive weight I had put on. I'm also recovering from knee surgery earlier in 2011. Not to mention added weight gain from Bipolar medications, etc. I got tired of being out of breath all the time, and joints in a constant state of protest (pain). I'm off all medication...even through the CONSTANT pain. To me, the pain reminds me that I am alive, and very very fortunate to have survived such a horrible accident. (sorry for the rant...book):flowerforyou:
  • Samer1Q
    Samer1Q Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My main reason and wake up call is my mom.

My mom was always a little bigger when I was growing up, but I didn't think much of it. But since I've reached my 20s, she has suddenly developed many health problems and it was really scary. She just dropped a lot of weight all at once (from being in the hospital on a liquid diet) and is discovering a new healthier lifestyle. She is excited about looking good and being healthy, but her health problems prevent her from doing a lot of activities that she could have done if she had gotten healthier sooner.

I think it's mainly because of this that I realized that my time is NOW. I'm not going to spend the prime of my life uncomfortable in my own skin and the healthier I become now, the less chances that I'll run into health problems down the road. It was definitely a wake up call for both of us! I'm just beginning and I've got a long way to go, but I'm gonna keep my head up high and plow on ahead! I'm wanna be a hot, sexy 20-something before they're over!
  • ashalabrown
    Options
    Mostly health related. I'm pre-diabetic. I have pcos, and I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. But the biggest reason is that I want to be a mom.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    My son asked me whether he could go on holidays with his girlfriend and her family. I was envious, as it was a beach holiday ( I LOVE beach!!), so I told him he could, but only if he took me with them. He agreed :-)
    I then thought about who was coming along, and felt rather fat among those 7 skinny persons (well I WAS fat, but didn't realize it), so I decided I had a year to change something about it.
    I was still the heaviest person of us 8, but felt better than the year before and I'm working towards feeling even better for next beach holidays :-)
  • PurpleGyrl13
    PurpleGyrl13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Reason? How about reasons......

Sick and tired of being sick and tired; not having any motivation; not feeling comfortable with myself and my image; not wanting to buy bigger clothes and the current ones being too tight; not having much energy.

There are probably more, but this should sum it up.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I was trying on bridesmaid's dresses for my sister's wedding, and my dress size had doubled in the two years that I have been at college.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I hit 277lbs, which is only 3 away from 280 (and that hit me hard). I realized I was only a few months of eating like I was away from hitting 300lbs, and I told myself that unless I am playing d-line in the nfl, I'm never going to hit 300. Also- I want to be able to run around with my daughter and not be the overweight dad in her group of friends.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! Mine is a number of reasons... 1- im a sports development officer, and so i stick out like a sore thumb- everyone else looks very athletic, whereas i look like a blob.... 2- im going for a kickboxing fight at the end of april and so wanted to be fit for that. 3- going for a fitness instructors qualification and didn't want to be laughed out of the building. 3- my daughter thinks that to be a mummy you have to be fat- shes only 4 but that hurt a lot!!
  • babigurl86
    babigurl86 Posts: 138
    Options
    someone told me i wouldn't be able to and that i'd look ugly if i lost weight-never tell me i cant .
    i have agoraphobia and couldn't leave my home despite having 4 kids.
    no self-esteem/confidence.
    i was becoming the 'fat friend'
    i refused to buy size up in clothing
    people made fun of me.... esp in public to make themselves feel better
    i realised i was being taken advantage of and wanted to develop physical and mental strength
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow- I can't believe the horrible things we humans say to each other. Mine was that I was found to have pre-cancerous cells of the endometrium. Odds of it turning into cancer are much higher when over the normal BMI range. :(
  • Annie_Oakley
    Options
    I refuse to start buying the next size clothes when I know I need to quit eating crap and do more exercise. I'm almost 37 and as a stay at home mum I have the opportunity right now to kick my own *kitten* and do something about it.

"Refuse to start buying the next size clothes"....this is EXACTLY what went through my mind around Christmas of 2011! I turned 45 in November, and the thought of being a mirror image of my mother frankly scared the hell out of me.
  • gooselady0720
    gooselady0720 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Felt terrible all the time and clothes are tight . I have already gone up multiple sizes. I am going to do it this time. I bought a new motivation book that is helping me to stay on track and this is helping also. I am exercising more also. Have lost 3 pounds since this week. a long way to go.
  • kturn6420
    kturn6420 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My best friend is just like me. We ateterrible, weren't very active, just liked to laze around. Well in October she started using MFP and had lost I think 20 pounds by the time I decided to join her in december. I knew she is just like me and if she could do it, I could do it! So December 30th I started using MFP religiously with her. I've lost 16 pounds since then. I've lost 50 pounds since Jan 2010. the first 35 came off with a combo of weight watchers and a diet drug. Now I'm doing it the right way with diet and exercise and losing low and steady. My bestie was my inspiration and has been the best source of support. However, my fiance has also been deployed since July and I REALLY wanted to lose some weight for when he came home. He came hom in feb for RR, I had lost 15 pounds and he absolutely could tell. It was the best feeling ever. He will be home for good shortly and I have another 5-10 pounds I'd like to lose by then so I've incorperated exercise in now with the eating. I'm on day 4 of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I feel better than I have in YEARS! I'm also at my lowest weight that I have been in almost 7 years.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Probably my biggest motivation to lose weight happened when I was out on the lake with my family in my dad's new boat. My uncle and his new girlfriend were visiting so we had this big fishing trip. It was still pretty hot out so we all had on our swim suits just in case. We all went to take a dip but then things got a little hairy for everyone getting back in the boat. It's a pontoon boat so it sits very high out of the water. The little ladder down to the water broke. Everyone else got up with minimal effort.
    It took me, my dad, my uncle and my uncle's girlfriend along with some creative use of towels to get me back into the boat. I was ready to just give up and die of embarrassment out in the middle of the lake.
  • AprilRaineyBattle
    AprilRaineyBattle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I really like this thread... My turning points were:

1. I got married in August 2011 and while I didn't wear a traditional dress, ( it was casual ) the dress I did have on was a 2x, tight & uncomfortable. I didn't share or post any of my pics because I was horrified at the way I looked. I refused to look at most of them myself. This was supposed to be MY day & I feel like I ruined part of the memory..

2. In Oct 2011 I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri (IIH) and when I stepped on the scale I was 256 lbs. Weight loss was apart of the treatment & a requirement to hopefully rid myself of the illness. There were no excuses, loopholes etc... Either do something about it or spend the rest of my life with headaches, spinal taps, medicines, surgeries etc...I found MFP after dropping almost 20 by myself and now I am down about 53 lbs. My eyesight is better, headaches almost non existent....but there is no stopping now, I've come too far.

BTW, that dress from August? It looks like a tent on me now & I use the pictures as my "before" pics. ;-)
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    1. A picutre of me Xmas Eve 2010, was not a pretty sight
    2. I found myself buying size 18 clothes (UK size 18)
    3. I wasn't happy and had lost my confidence
    4. I had NEVER been the weight I was when i got on the scales after xmas/new year.

Never looked back since :)
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My size 14s were getting tight, and I did NOT want to size up. I also saw a picture of myself from a wedding that terrified me - I didn't even LOOK like MYESELF (it's now my "before" in my profile pic). I decided something had to change, and fast. I joined MFP on January 2nd, and began a Biggest Loser competition on January 5th. Today I am 20 pounds slimmer, and I'm wearing 10s. This is the first time I've been this weight/size since I was a freshman in college! I feel better than ever, and I'm not done yet! :)
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I want to love how I look, or atleast appreciate and work on the 'good' areas.
    My partner - I wanna look the best I can be for him.
    My daughter - I want her to have a slim fit mummy that can keep up with her!
    Clothes - I'd like them to fit without love handles or a belly pouch at the front.
    The past - Unfortunately I never appreciated my body before I got pregnant at 9 stone 7, wanna turn out even better than before!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was tired of feeling like crap 24/7, with no energy. I was tired of getting out of breath just from going upstairs. I was tired of being a size 14, and seeing my BMI in the 'obese' range. And the biggest thing was seeing pictures of myself. They were shocking.