HR monitor?

Options
I am thinking I need to get a Heart Rate Monitor. What does everyone have? I don't need a top of the line one, but I want one that really works. Any recommendations on brand, price, what not to get, etc?

Replies

• FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and so far I'm really liking it. Got it on Amazon.com for $139.95. I like how it breaks down my heart rate into the 3 zones.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Mine is not a heart rate monitor, but it's a Body Bugg that tracks steps taken, calories burned, activity time, etc. I love it. Check it out - http://www.bodybugg.com/. One of the best investments I have made for my health. Just wanted to give you another option!
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've been contemplating the same....Bodybugg has been recommended a lot to me, but I hear the Polar is great, too, so I'm interested int he feedback on this one.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I just got mine and am starting with it this morning. I'll post a review after I use it this morning. I got the Pyle Sports model.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QP0R2E/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I work in the water and need something waterproof.
  • sopranomff
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 - not as many features as the FT60 but it does sync with my computer so I can keep track of the data, and tells me whether I'm in fat-burning or fitness mode, etc., as well as counting calories, giving me an average HR for my workout, and other things, so it does plenty. It's waterproof, too. Polar is definitely the leader in the field, in my opinion.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar FT4 from Amazon for $75 with free shipping! Comparing other websites and stores, I found Amazon to be the most inexpensive for a brand new HRM. I didn't need a lot of bells and whisles - mainly wanted something to track my calories accurately when I did group fitness classes and at-home workout DVDs. It came with a chest strap, which makes the numbers accurate. Also displays your lowest heart rate, highest heart rate, and when you were "in the zone."

PLUS... it was small, delicate, and pink/purple :) So I was sold!
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    The Polar FT 7....may not be as "gadgety" as some of the others but I'm really only interested in HR, Calories burned and time spent. Just a little over $100 on heartratemonitorsusa.com
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it..easy set up and works great!!!!! Its not as much as a Bodybugg. Whatever you get make sure you get the chest strap!!
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    I have a Timex one from amazon. I think it is around $50. I would just make sure it has a chest strap and find one with good reviews. also keep in mind the really cheap ones sometimes don't count calories.
  • nancycsel
    nancycsel Posts: 47
    Options
    I just got mine and am starting with it this morning. I'll post a review after I use it this morning. I got the Pyle Sports model.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QP0R2E/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I work in the water and need something waterproof.

I ordered the exact one from Amazon too...haven't gotten it yet. I'll have to come back to read your review
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I need to get a Heart Rate Monitor. What does everyone have? I don't need a top of the line one, but I want one that really works. Any recommendations on brand, price, what not to get, etc?

^
    ^
    Thank you for posting this. I put this same question out there yesterday to my friends. I was wondering if i should get a Fitbit or another type of HRM. SO many options out there!!
    Would love recommendations from people who have them.
    Thanks!
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. It has really made the difference for me. Got mine from Amazon and I think I paid around $80. It is worth every penny.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4?s=fg&gclid=CIjkp67U164CFQdN4AodJyGllQ

got the polar ft4 for $61.00...love it and its so simple to use plus a great price!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    is it better to get with or without the chest strap??
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7- bought it a few months ago, one of my best purchases ever.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I ordered an FT7 today after reading this and other reviews. Paid £64 for it delivered. I don't need all the extras you get with the other versions.

This one seemed like the biggest bang for my buck!
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    I have the FT4 and I love it. It tells me exactly what I want to know-How many calories I burn during activity. It also tells you your highest HR and lowest HR during that activity. It has a chest strap and like previous posters have mentioned, make sure you get one with the chest strap! I was sooo skeptical because I was worried about discomfort since my main activity is Zumba and there is a lot of movement... but I just put it right with my bra and I can't even tell the difference between my chest strap/bra! It just feels like one thing.
    Mine is pink and I love it.
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    is it better to get with or without the chest strap??

Absolutely go with the chest strap- anything other than that tends to be less accurate from the research I've done.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I have a suunto t4d from amazon...cost me $162 bucks never had a problem with it
    also i think the chest strap itself syncs with most machines so you don't even need to wear a watch sometimes if you're on machines