spaghetti portion size?

Options
Hi I have started using mfp again after a break as i need to track what im eating as well as keeping my portion sizes under control.
Can i just ask please what you class as an average seving of spaghetti dried weight? as due to a gastric ulcer ive gone a bit carb crazy since christmas hence ive put on 1.5 stone.
Many thanks in advance,hope ive posted in the right area i read the boards a lot but postings a new experience!

Replies

• LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I go for 75g on an excercise day and 60g non exercise x
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    Options
    Dry weight!
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I generally due 2 oz (which is the serving on the box) if I'm having it with something else, like a chicken breast and 4oz if the pasta is really the whole meal.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have 50g dry weight which is about 180 cals. I'd say it's slightly smaller than an average portion but it's enough with the sauce. Hope this helps.

ETA: I have it with meat sauce and parmesan so the overall cals is about 450-500.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    75g dry weight if it is a light sauce, i.e. just tomatoes. If the sauce is bulky - say with meat or chunky veg - then I would go down to 50g dry weight and eat more of the meat / veg.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I usually only do 1oz to 1 1/2oz of pasta. Weighed dry. I normally fill it up with other stuff, a little drizzle of olive oil once cooked, some fresh spinach, fresh cherry tomatoes. I don't use spaghetti sauce.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    2 oz dry, one cup cooked. It's listed on the package.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Yes, that. It is important to be aware of portion size. I think very few people that "guesstimate" realize just how small an acceptable size serving of any pasta is. I will occasionally allow myself an extra ounce if my sauce is completely vegetarian made with no oil.

Be careful of sauces and cheese, they will really bump up the calories, especially if the sauce has any oil in it. I know olive oil is one of the better fats, but it has lots of calories.

You can eat spaghetti happily as long as you keep track of all the ingredients.
  • sixthsense
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies i got a packet of napolina and it gives the nutritional info per 100g but does not indicate portion size .....Hence the reason i asked.