Runners: What is the hardest part of your run?

Options
13»

Replies

• CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yup, like everyone else, the first mile or mile and a half is the most difficult. I'm running 3 miles every other day and trying to get myself to do 4.5 miles (because of how the route turns out if I repeat after 3 miles it's another mile and half, otherwise I'd be working on doing just another mile). I've also noticed my stomach gets upset if I run for too long. Is that normal? lol
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    for me it is the first ten minutes when i'm running outside. after that i'm good to go for at least another hour. on the treadmill... well, it's all hard! i think i focus on speed a little too much and push myself too hard... or else i just plain get bored!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    me too, :) medically speaking, I can tell you why the first part is the hardest. All of your oxygen is going to your large muscle groups..quads, hamstrings, glutes etc. Your lungs can't exchange air quick enough to compensate for about 3-7 minutes. As far as the end...for me it's all mental. I can run two or 26.2 and the end is always hard!!

thanks for sharing this! i'm glad to have a medical reason. i thought i was just plain lazy! :blushing:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    On the road, the second mile is the toughest.

On a treadmill, the first and the last portions.

I prefer outdoor running but treadmill works best with my schedule. But it's still a struggle to get on that damn machine.

I feel the same way about the treadmill. It works best for my work schedule during the week but I dread it. Once I started running outside on the weekend, the treadmill got worse and worse. On the treadmill, for me, it's not so much how my body feels, it's the boredom. Even doing what I've always done and streaming movies, it feels like it takes forever.

The first mile is always the longest. And then when I'm getting toward the end, I just want it to be over. I find myself upping the pace sometimes a full mile mph, or more, towards the end just to hit my distance goal faster.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the first quarter mile but usually mile 3 or 4. It isnt hard every time though. Sometimes I have all around great runs where nothing is difficult. I have learned to slow down around 3 and 4 so I don't hit a wall.

exercise.png
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The first mile when I'm running alone is the hardest. It's when my brain keeps asking, "Why the hell are you doing this?!"

In a race, it's the middle, especially if it's an out-and-back type race and I can see the turn-around looming ahead.... or at any point where the front-runners have already turned around and are passing me going in the other direction. :sad:

On a treadmill... it's during commercials. If I'm watching a tv show, I'm ok, but I lose focus as soon as the commercials come on.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In a race, it's the middle, especially if it's an out-and-back type race and I can see the turn-around looming ahead.... or at any point where the front-runners have already turned around and are passing me going in the other direction. :sad:

^^This lol.
  • tretheb
    tretheb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    uphill is also hard for me .. really gets the ole ticker going ... i turn too many shades of red .....
  • BlooQKazoo
    Options
    Mile 2. Even if I'm running 6 or 7 miles, the second one ALWAYS seems to take the longest. I think it's because I'm just past that not-at-all-tired-yet stage and just before the I'm-used-to-it-now stage. :P
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    If I am running outside it's the first 15-20 minutes until I am settled into a nice pace/rhythm, I mentally struggle after mile 7 and that's the longest I've gotten so far. :grumble:

The treadmill it's the first 10 minutes and anything after 30 minutes. I hate the treadmill and only use it when there is crappy weather.
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    Anytime running on the treadmill is awful. I can not motivate myself long enough to get my mileage in. Outside the first 5-10 minutes until I can get a good rhythm going. I just started running the end of 2011 and find mydelf loving outdoor runs. never thought I would be able to run 3-4 miles at a time.
  • Vernswifevickie
    Vernswifevickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just have to say this thread helped me SO MUCH! Thank you to everyone who shared your thoughts on which part of the run is the hardest. I've been running intervals for 3-5 miles every other day. I felt like I was stuck at 90 second intervals. I felt like I couldn't control my breathing and I didn't know how hard to push myself. After reading this thread yesterday I realized i needed to push through the feelings of panic...and "I can't do this", just like any other exercise. This morning I was able to run 4.5 minute intervals, run for 4.5 minutes, walk for 3. I can't even tell you how excited I am to have broken through that barrier!!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    First 2 miles are always my hardest... At mile 8 or so i get really pumped and strong and thats when my groove comes and i overcome!
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For me it's the last 5 mins in the gym I watch the clock and Im always like is it over....it is time yet??? But If Im outside nothing is hard I truly love every step!
  • LongRunner77
    LongRunner77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most people, the first mile or two is usually pretty rough, then I settle into a nice pace and can zone out for pretty much the rest of the way until the last mile or so, then I usually find myself speeding up a bit because I know I'm almost done...oh and on a treadmill....the entire run sucks...ehhh