I'm on the verge of going AWOL...

Options
I don't know how this happens or why I do this, but here I am....ready to just lounge around in pajamas and pig out!!! { not literally, because, actually I'm at work, but I really just want to step off the workout train for a while }

About one year ago I started with my boot camp circuit training classes once a week. Then I added in some running. Right now, I'm up to a comfortable 6 mile run. The about 5 months ago or so, I added more boot camp classes, the gym during my lunch break once or twice a week and I also try to go to Zumba on Thursdays. There was a month tucked away in there that I was doubling up ~ going to the gym and night time classes...but I cut back on that because I was afraid of the burn out, but I feel burnt out anyway?

Sometimes, I think it's because I've met some of my goals. The 6 miles run was one of them and being able to do the monkey bars was another one. Now that I know that I can do both, I get this comfortable feeling in my head that I don't have to keep at it. I did this to my self a few years back, got into great shape and then, just, I don't know....stopped. Went AWOL.

So, the reason for this rambling post is....How do you keep yourself on track? Especially after you've reached some of your goals? Or should you give yourself a mini-break and then get back into it?

Replies

• arfog
    arfog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I fall into this too. It's like, "oh I lost 1 pound, now I can go eat a whole pizza and not worry about it."

Obviously not true.

Lately I've been staying motivated by a picture of myself at my ideal weight, and I set a new goal!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your fitness routine sounds exhausting, and you sound more burned out than anything. Keep a class and continue to run, don't quit altogether. It will still feel like a vacation.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I''ve dont the on and off thing. The problem I find with mini breaks, is they have a tendency to turn into long breaks ;).

Try something new, change up your routine. Maybe take your workouts down by 1 or two days a week and when trying new things.

good luck
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have clothes in my closet that motivate me. Maybe if you don't have new goals, you could think of new ones? Are you just trying to keep healthy?

But as with most people are alraedy stating on here, don't quit all together. You'll regret it. It's weird all a few months go by so quickly and the weight or health problems creep back up.

Keep it up :) And find your motivation :)
  • fittyfittybumbum
    Options
    I can def can relate...I lost 10pounds back to my normal weight of 148lb, and I just wanna stop. I don't wanna finish my insanity even though I only have a month left. I feel this way even though I know I have 10 more pounds I would like to lose and a tummy to tone, not even to mention that I know I still have to work to maintain whatever goals I achieved. I think it's natural for our body to go through these ruts, its way of telling us it needs a break, but the problem is how do we tell our minds to tell our bodies break is over. I level with myself and say if you are not gonna do a full out work-out just do something for at least 30min. But I have found out that once I start, i never want to go light, and find that I usually crank it up to the max after about 10min. The hardest thing about any workout is the start
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! Great ideas!

<---- I've got my motivational photo, that's me about 4 years ago.

I'm going to revamp my workout schedule { once I wrote it out like that, it did seem like a bit much, lol }

And I definitey need some new goals. Maybe a faster pace and trying on the clothes that have been hiding in the back of my closet will help!
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! It is hard to stay motivated when you are near to, or have reached, the goals you originally set. What I am finding that helps is to write down a list of goals, both long-term and short-term. Now that you are running 6 miles consistently, have you thought about entering some 5k races? There are some normal ones out there, but then there are also some "extreme" ones (mudd run, warrior dash, zombie runs...). Maybe you could plan to do three or four 5ks a year? I think everyone has a week where they just want to throw in the towel, not exercise, and eat whatever they want. And maybe that is what needs to be done everyonce in a while. I did that, at least with the eating. I was feeling like this dieting thing was ridiculous and I just wanted to go back to eating what I wanted when I wanted. So, I went to Golden Corral on Sunday and had a great time. I didn't feel bad about all that I ate because it actually made me feel a little better. And when Monday came, I didn't even want to touch any of the cupcakes or cookies that were in the house, simply because I felt like I didn't really want them any more. I was happy with my yogurts, and veggies, and 100 calories snacks.

So, basically, my way of staying on track was to get off track a little bit. To take a day, say screw routine and diet, and do what I wanted. Good luck with everything. I hope this helps and I hope you find the motivation you are looking for! :)
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    I can def can relate...I lost 10pounds back to my normal weight of 148lb, and I just wanna stop. I don't wanna finish my insanity even though I only have a month left. I feel this way even though I know I have 10 more pounds I would like to lose and a tummy to tone, not even to mention that I know I still have to work to maintain whatever goals I achieved. I think it's natural for our body to go through these ruts, its way of telling us it needs a break, but the problem is how do we tell our minds to tell our bodies break is over. I level with myself and say if you are not gonna do a full out work-out just do something for at least 30min. But I have found out that once I start, i never want to go light, and find that I usually crank it up to the max after about 10min. The hardest thing about any workout is the start

We must have been posting at the same time! You hit the nail on the head with "the hardest thing about anyworkout is the start." I know I will kick myself if I quit now....I will definitely cut back a bit, but not stop completely.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! It is hard to stay motivated when you are near to, or have reached, the goals you originally set. What I am finding that helps is to write down a list of goals, both long-term and short-term. Now that you are running 6 miles consistently, have you thought about entering some 5k races? There are some normal ones out there, but then there are also some "extreme" ones (mudd run, warrior dash, zombie runs...). Maybe you could plan to do three or four 5ks a year? I think everyone has a week where they just want to throw in the towel, not exercise, and eat whatever they want. And maybe that is what needs to be done everyonce in a while. I did that, at least with the eating. I was feeling like this dieting thing was ridiculous and I just wanted to go back to eating what I wanted when I wanted. So, I went to Golden Corral on Sunday and had a great time. I didn't feel bad about all that I ate because it actually made me feel a little better. And when Monday came, I didn't even want to touch any of the cupcakes or cookies that were in the house, simply because I felt like I didn't really want them any more. I was happy with my yogurts, and veggies, and 100 calories snacks.

So, basically, my way of staying on track was to get off track a little bit. To take a day, say screw routine and diet, and do what I wanted. Good luck with everything. I hope this helps and I hope you find the motivation you are looking for! :)

I love it!!! "My way of staying on track was to get off track a little bit"

Thanks for the ideas! I do have an obstacle event that I'm signed up for { 45 days away } ...I think the training for that is what's burning me out. I just want it to get here so I can do it and take a break, ha ha. Then I have some 5Ks lined up for the end of the summer...I know a long way off, but still it's something I guess : )
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the burn out...we push ourselves sometimes to the point where we our bodies CAN make it, then we feel some boredom set in after we accomplish our goals. I think the key is to continue to challenge yourself. See what more we can do with our bodies. I can totally understand why you signed up for the TM. We are all made to be athletes (hunters and gatherers) so keep going. even though your soft jammies and veg out seem tempting you'll regret it and then have to work even harder next time to get to where you are now. This is what happened to me...i took too long of an AWOL, a year and the pounds and inches are much harder to shed this time around. So please try not to go AWOL. Try mixing in something more mellow or soothing like yoga or pilates even, keep looking for ways to make it fun. Join a ladies soccer or field hockey team or even try tennis. But don't go AWOL...I promise not to as well. :)
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Thanks Andrea! I certainly don't want to have to start over again! I also did that, but took off about 2 years and boy, when they said it's harder as you get older, they weren't kidding!!! I feel like I am working twice as hard but with half the results as last time.

I definitely need to mix it up to keep going. I am really excited because now that it is warmer and lighter out when I get home from work, I can dig out my rollerblades!!! I love those things!!!