Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
What is an "ideal" resting heart rate?

Replies

• lottier0311
    lottier0311 Posts: 125
    Options
    I'm not sure what ideal is but I know mine is normal and it was 67bpm this weekend
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Physiologically that really depends on the individual. Each person is different. That is why we have normal ranges in medicine.

"For an adult, a normal resting heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute. For a well-trained athlete, a normal resting heart rate may be closer to 40 beats a minute. For healthy adults, a lower heart rate at rest generally implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness."
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/AN01906
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A normal resting heart rate ranges anywhere from 60 to 100 beats a minute. Ideally, you would want yout HR to be lower at the lower range since it implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    A normal resting heart rate ranges anywhere from 60 to 100 beats a minute. Ideally, you would want yout HR to be lower at the lower range since it implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness
    This. I work in a Wellness Center and we just had a seminar with one of our cardiologists yesterday and 60-100 BPM were verified as desired RMR.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    A normal resting heart rate ranges anywhere from 60 to 100 beats a minute. Ideally, you would want yout HR to be lower at the lower range since it implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness

sorry but you are wrong
    resting heart rate below 60 is not that uncommon

here is some more info

http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/test/resting-heart-rate.htm

the lower it is, the more fit you are, so you want to aim for lover resting hr
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Mine is 45-50 so i guess that's a good resting heart rate to have

Also, according to webmd

Adults: 60-100

Well-conditioned athletes: 40-60

Source: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/pulse-measurement?page=2
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    no idea- mine hovers between 48 and 51
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ... so you want to aim for lover resting hr

rawr
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    About 54 now. Closer to 50 or just under when I am in peak shape. Make sure you are truly rested and completely immobile if you are trying to test it on your own. Even slight movement can elevate it several beats.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you!