Healthy quick starchy sides??

Options
2»

Replies

• hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Instant brown rice, whole wheat angel hair pasta (cooks faster), baked sweet potato (can microwave), whole wheat toast
  • jdp022
    jdp022 Posts: 11
    Options
    I also saw on pinterest that you can wrap your potatoes in foil and put them in the crock pot for the day.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    cous cous
    baked potato
    baked sweet potato
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ive been making Chili roasted sweet potatoes a lot...so good! Just peel and dice them, then toss with s little olive oil and whatever spices you like. I use Arizona Dreaming from penzey's, some chipotle powder and a bit of cinnamon. Put on a sheet and bake for about half an hour.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a good low cal mac and cheese.

My name is Melanie, and I have a problem. I am addicted to mac and cheese! :tongue: :blushing:
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Microwaving is a good idea; however, I don't currently have one!! Ours blew, and we haven't replaced it yet. I like the idea of the foil/crock pot. Thanks! That's Pinterest for ya! Thanks for all the stellar ideas! We'll be carbing up in no time... :ohwell: Maybe I'll just take it one at a time...:drinker:
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a good low cal mac and cheese.

My name is Melanie, and I have a problem. I am addicted to mac and cheese! :tongue: :blushing:

I feel your pain Melanie! :laugh: I'll definitely check out that recipe!
  • reneeradhika
    Options
    If you like baked potatoes, but don't want to wait for them in the oven. Cook them in the microwave. Wash the spuds, stab them with a fork a few times, wrap them in a paper towel and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side! They come out so creamy and delicious!

Like you, I typically microwave our potatoes, but I do think the oven baked ones do taste better.
    So, maybe on a weekend she could bake up a dozen or so, then store them in the fridge. They keep well, and warm up quckly. The nice thing about having them pre-cooked is they can also be used in different ways. Maybe cut up with some garlic and kale (starch and veggie in one) and sauted.

I have kids and a man, so I understand what you mean about creating dinners with a starch side for them, but for myself, I leave it completely off and have salad or veggies instead.

Good luck. I'm enjoying reading the suggestions
  • FiterellaKaren
    FiterellaKaren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee an onion, garlic, fennel seed in about a dash of olive oil and then add crushed tomatoes and I throw in white beans for more protein. It's quick and easy and tastes great.