Embarassed to work out in front of my kids

Options
So I've been exercising every day during the week but when it comes to doing it on the weekends when my 3 kids (12,10 and 7) and my hubby are home I get really anxious about exercising around them.So much so that sometimes I will lock myself in the bedroom until I am done lol.I'm so afraid to see them seeing me jump up and down,fat flapping around lol and sweating that I just can't get up the courage to do it like I normally do during the week.

Any helpful tips to get over this fear would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also feel so silly when they are next to me. And i know that is stupid, because my son cant see and my husband also makes funny things when exercising. But for me it is a real blockage and i get so frustrated.
    I sweat a lot so, sometimes, i also stay only in my top, so im embarrassed that my husband see me in and all my fat jumping and moving around :(
    What i did was to convince hubby to play with me the wii just dance. Because he has 2 left feet and cant follow anything, he just jump around...so we are 2 nuts jumping around :). All this after the baby goes to bed
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why don't you invite them to join you in the exercise? That's what I did. I also bought games for the xbox kinect and wii that would could have fun doing but I was still burning calories. It help me ease into feeling better about getting my work out in when they were around.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If you are working out that hard, good for you.
    You are setting a good example for the kids and your husband won't mind it, he will probably like either the way you look or the way you will look..
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I haver the same problem...just yesterday my kids were in the back yard playing while I was working out and everytime one of them ran to the screen door with a "hey mom" I would stop. :) They like to make grunting noises when I lift weights sooo that may be why!! My husband is the worst to workout in front of...hes Mr. Critic with a bag of chips in his hand; he likes to throw out there "at that speed your not accomplishing anything" or "your not even sweating, how can you call that a workout"....my darling husband LOL. :)
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i have my kids (6 and 12) exercise with me. my kids are sometimes exercising when i'm not. make it a normal thing for everyone so that nobody is giving it a second thought.

are you self conscious about other things as well?
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Being a Mother you are their best examples for a better life. I almost never saw my Mom exercise, but my Dad was a machine. I grew up thinking that you slacked off when you grew up. My son is growing up seeing me exercise like a ferocious beast. It's my job to instill values him and lead by example. How is he going to know if I don't lead by example? So let your kids see you exercise, it will imprint on them later and life and they'll carry on exercising past high school.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. But I just don't have any other time to do it, so I just see it as setting a good example for my kids. Most of the time they ask if they can exercise with me!
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is especially embarrassing when your child is a teenager. She does Just Dance 2 before I get home from work, and I do it while she is upstairs doing homework and before DH gets home. He's the worst. He loves to tease me anyway, but he especially enjoys it when I look foolish. Unfortunately, I don't have the figure I had the day we were married. I'm trying to get that body back, so I exercise when he isn't around. I can't walk with him either because he walks too fast, and his stride is longer than mine. I feel your pain!

16215868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a big momma to come to your house with a switch and a house shoe and give they little butts some discipline. My momma would have smacked me dead in mouth for looking at her sideways when I was a kid! Don't u and your husband pay the bills? Make em sit outside while u workout with a freezepop!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Not really I am pretty open about everthing else just not very comfratable and confident with my body yet
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Not really I am pretty open about everthing else just not very comfratable and confident with my body yet

If it doesn't spill over into other parts of your life with your family, I say lock yourself into your room and work out until you have the body confidence to be in front of them. There is no need to force yourself to do something before you are ready.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    well...my hubby is playing wii now, or should i say jumping around? They get used to this :)
  • sarai79
    sarai79 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My 14 year old son and I work out together. He is really good at pushing me through when he sees I'm falling behind. We've been doing Insanity for three weeks and congratulated each other for our progress on the fit test. He has been my biggest supporter through my actual work outs. He doesn't care about how funny I look or even if I'm doing it in my sports bra. Those things kind of go out the window. You probably think more about the embarassment than your kids do. Just do it! :smokin:
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My granddaughter and one of her friends (ages 8 & 9) came in when I was working out and they made fun of me. I simply said, come on and join in. They did...lasted about 3 minutes and they quick. They thought it was too hard LOL!
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    You are setting a great example for your kids!!!
    My daughter hates my time away from the house (spent in the gym) but loves her mom being healthier and more active with her.
    Get them involved with your workouts OR instead of DVD's at home on the weekends, take them for a hike or a bike ride!
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    Have them all do it with you! My 6 yr old does it with me and he thinks it is so much fun!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Do what ever works for you. But, is this not a good opportunity to present an example of hard work & determination?

My children are part of the video game generation that expects immediate gratification. I try to never let pass an opportunity to demonstrate that most things of value require hard work.

They still will not workout with me but I think that the underlying message is getting through! :-)
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I know what you mean, how about trying a family walk or bike ride, my kids are 2, 4, 9, 11, 14 and 15, and they love walking on the hills at the weekends with the dogs.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Pffff, I used to get in on the action when my mom was working out to Jane Fonda on VHS.

And I thank her for that.
  • rdunlap81
    rdunlap81 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    my kids just ignore me now. At first I was paranoid but as I kept working at it they would tell me how proud they were of me. They would also say momma you are looking smaller, which is encouragement in itself. Just do what you are comfortable doing. I told my hubby that he either had to shut up or go away b/c his comments made me paranoid. He then became more supportive with his comments.