has anyone tried The 17 Day Diet? does it work?

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It works for 17 days...then it stops working
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I wish people would have an informed opinion before they call something a fad.

I've been doing the 17 day "diet" since February 11th and have lost 17 pounds. It's gotten me to eat much healthier and has me feeling energized. It's worth looking into. It's basically clean eating - lean proteins, lots of vegetables, limited starchy carbs.

If you do a search for the 17 day diet in the message boards, you'll find several pages of people on it.
    I wish people would stop thinking there is some magic diet that's going to fix everything.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My trainer at the gym has all of her clients on this. Every single one of them has been successful on it. The title is misleading its not really a 17 day diet it is a lifestyle change. For people with PCOS or insulin resistance this is a great plan to use. I lost most of my weight on it. The zig zagging the calories when you get to cycle 2 and 3 really helps. It is a retraining tool on how to eat. No more massive portions of rice, potatoes, and other starches. It focuses more on lean protein and veggies. Also when you have issues like I do with PCOS the eating of all the fruit before your afternoon snack really helped me :)
  • countrywildflower
    countrywildflower Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My brother and his wife tried it, cause her mother lost alot of weight on it. My brother didn't like it cause he said you stayed hungry all the time. Guess it depends or varies for some people.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I know what the 17 day diet is and I call it a fad soley because it's another book and diet plan designed for the author and publisher to make money on something we already know will help lose weight.

Following a strict diet plan with things removed, added, etc is a fad for those who will not stick with it.

It works for some people yes. For some it won't. For most though, if you eat healthy, clean, whole, fresh foods and lean meats you will lose weight - which is almost exactly what this diet is about (the 17 day diet seems the same as the Eat Clean diet but with a bit more restrictions.

What is a fad for one person won't be for another.

I personally just don't see the point in spending money to read about what I already know. I also don't want to spend money on a restrictive diet when I can do it on my own. That's me though.

If you need the structure and the meal plans/meal ideas written out for you than go for it. Some people need that and some don't.

People are different.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don'tcha think it is a bit rich for you to be so dismissive of it when you're 50lb overweight yourself? If you knew all the answers maybe you wouldn't need to be on here?

A lot of your posts are really negative, instead of being supportive and encouraging like most around here.

Just saying...

I agree.

When posting its great to have your own opinion but at the same time this isnt a place for people to hate on ones ideas, if they want to try it then let them.... and saying "just saying" doesnt make it ok either.
  • lutkica01
    lutkica01 Posts: 65
    Options
    I don't believe in any of the Diet books or programs out there. I have tried several even the ones that deliver food to your door. Yes you lose some weight initially but as soon as you get off them you gain it right back and more.
    However, if you think that that's the right choice for you, certainly go for it. We all have to learn one way or another that the only diet that will work is the diet you create for yourself.
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have been on the 17 day diet and I maintain that the name sounds like a fad but I think the principle is sound. It is working for me (18 pounds down). I wish they would have named it something different but unfortunately the name makes people automatically think it's a magical cure in 17days-- and it's immediately labeled a fad. My only insight is that if you have a hard time with eating limited carbs the first cycle might be discouraging so in that case maybe something else might work better for you. Good luck!
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    I know what the 17 day diet is and I call it a fad soley because it's another book and diet plan designed for the author and publisher to make money on something we already know will help lose weight.

Following a strict diet plan with things removed, added, etc is a fad for those who will not stick with it.

It works for some people yes. For some it won't. For most though, if you eat healthy, clean, whole, fresh foods and lean meats you will lose weight - which is almost exactly what this diet is about (the 17 day diet seems the same as the Eat Clean diet but with a bit more restrictions.

Is there really a diet that's not a "fad" Studies show that after people do a diet they eventually put back on the weight plus more. There are a small percentage that do make the life change and are able to keep it off. How many people do you know that have used the same diet for years upon years. I don't know any, they use the current new diet, thus a "fad" The word just has a negative connotation. At some point I believe we have all used some type material to get us through a hum.

I personally just don't see the point in spending money to read about what I already know. I also don't want to spend money on a restrictive diet when I can do it on my own. That's me though.

If you need the structure and the meal plans/meal ideas written out for you than go for it. Some people need that and some don't.

People are different.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don'tcha think it is a bit rich for you to be so dismissive of it when you're 50lb overweight yourself? If you knew all the answers maybe you wouldn't need to be on here?

A lot of your posts are really negative, instead of being supportive and encouraging like most around here.

Just saying...

And dont'cha think is is a bit rich for you to be so negative. If everyone in here was not needing to loose weight this would be an entirely different forum. To point out how much someone is overweight is very poor form.

This is exactly my point though - I have had a look at the book, seems to make good sense. Most people on here are really supportive and help each other along but the poster I quoted isn't - and to be blunt, she can hardly be regarded as an expert in weight loss!!

This is the most horrible thing I've read here.

First, people come here to get and give advice. If only the people at goal were allowed to speak up, how long do you think anyone of us would last?

Second, I know for myself, and I'm willing to bet a LOT of others on here, could become certified in diet and nutrition TODAY. Why? Because in our everlong quest to beat our weight issues, we've read more than most doctors on the topic. We keep thinking the next thing we read will hold the secret that seems so unattainable. We keep looking for the "right" way. So, don't ever dare tell someone who is overweight that they don't know what they are talking about!!

How incredibly rude! Shame on you!
  • fyfi_fendir
    fyfi_fendir Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did and for me it wasn't a diet, but a lifestyle change. The beginning is hard because it targets our addiction to carb. After a few days it calms down and I didn't crave carbs anymore. I read the book, there is no miracle in it, just things that makes sense and it give you idea of recipe and of menu for every day. I am not following anymore per se, but it has surely helped me change my eating habit. It was a great support. Of course you can do it without but for me it helped me structure the change... Now I eat way less carb, still eat them when I feel the need and have learned to cook vegetable to incorporate them more. I followed it for about 150 days (i.e. 3 times the 3 cycles) and lost about 35 lb doing it. I think if you like structure and the idea of having a plan, this book is for you. If you are the kind of person that like to do your own little thing ... then maybe not.
    Similarly, it doesn't take a trainer to help you lose weight, you can succeed without it but some people like the fact that someone else make the decision, help us do what is good for us. (after all if we did what was good for us by ourselves... we wouldn't be here... maybe).
    That combined to MFP which give you more accountability (again MFP is a tool, not a miracle) you can succeed!

Add me if you want!
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in any of the Diet books or programs out there. I have tried several even the ones that deliver food to your door. Yes you lose some weight initially but as soon as you get off them you gain it right back and more.
    However, if you think that that's the right choice for you, certainly go for it. We all have to learn one way or another that the only diet that will work is the diet you create for yourself.

Ive read a few books that dont tell you to "diet" but they show you how to either better plan your meals, or how to start tracking your food so you know what your putting into your body, or they just slowly get you on track to eating healthy.
    There not all about starving yourself
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options

People are different.

Sooo true.. sooo very true :)
  • Jbaker0524
    Options

Cat fight alert

*Making some popcorn and getting a good seat.

Room for one more? I'll bring the water bottles?!
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My brother and his wife tried it, cause her mother lost alot of weight on it. My brother didn't like it cause he said you stayed hungry all the time. Guess it depends or varies for some people.

As long as you eat whats unlimited in the first part you wont feel hungry. If you are hungry you can eat more lean protein and more vegetables you just do not want to stray from the list of items you can eat. Personally all the green tea they tell you to drink made me constantly feel full.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think everyone knows by now that diets by themselves do not work. However, a diet can be an impetus to get you off in the right direction to overall health and wellness. I read Dr. Ian Smith's Four Day Diet book and followed the induction plan as outlined (very restrictive detox foods) and dropped weight. I do not follow the rest of the plan tooth and letter but I'm still losing weight because of what I learned in the first part of the book which is how to properly choose foods and activities that will get me to my goal. The "Kickin Cabbage Soup" recipe is now a staple in my regular day-to-day eating.

So if the OP wants to try the diet, she should. It could very well be the motivation she needs to get going. But bottom line..we exercise more and eat less which generally leads to successful weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

People are different.

Just saying...
    tigerpalm.jpg
    So, you come into this thread and preach about supporting and encouraging people by... insulting someone. Brilliant.

Also, who the heck are you to assume that her weight gain came as a result of poor nutrition, and not pregnancy, or illness, or injury, or any of a million other causes that have nothing to do with her level of nutritional knowledge.

If a guy has a Masters degree in exercise kinesiology, but doesn't have a six pack and 20" arms, does that mean he has no idea what he's talking about? How about a molecular biologist who spends her entire life studying influenza, if she gets the flu, does that mean she isn't qualified to give advice on dealing with it?

And then on top of that, you talk about how negative the other poster is. Pot, meet kettle.

To the OP, I'm not that familiar with the intricacies of the 17 day diet, but from what I've read, it's just another low carb, Atkins style diet, restrict carbs, then slowly add them back. It's honestly no more effective than any other diet out there. Restricting carbs will cause you to lose a bunch of water weight initially, and then the slow reintroduction will allow the water weight to slowly make it's way back in. Fat loss will not be any different, either way. If you have a metabolic issue, PCOS, Diabetes, or anything of that ilk, you may benefit more from the reduced carbs. Otherwise, it's mostly a placebo, mental effect. It won't hurt you, however, so go for it if you want, just understand that a lot of the initial weight loss is actually water, and not fat.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

People are different.

Just saying...

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Let me sit down for this one.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the word "fad" is what sounded offensive, it has such a negative connotation. Most people use diet plans at one point or another, but you don't see the same diet plan being used for years upon years, thus the word "fad". Even the diets that have been around make changes. I have read the diet and it does seem to have merit for people who are needing to get a good start. The real problems come from not making a complete life change.
    I agree you have to be willing to make a life style change in order to continue seeing the results you get from any diet!

the actual definition of fad diet is ....fad diet - a reducing diet that enjoys temporary popularity so perhaps the 17 day diet may be one, but only time will tell. If it works for you, then go for it!! At least it isnt one of those only eat this one thing everyday diets! the key here is to be supportive of each other!! I wish you the best of luck!!!!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options

Cat fight alert

LMBO
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I think everyone knows by now that diets by themselves do not work. However, a diet can be an impetus to get you off in the right direction to overall health and wellness. I read Dr. Ian Smith's Four Day Diet book and followed the induction plan as outlined (very restrictive detox foods) and dropped weight. I do not follow the rest of the plan tooth and letter but I'm still losing weight because of what I learned in the first part of the book which is how to properly choose foods and activities that will get me to my goal. The "Kickin Cabbage Soup" recipe is now a staple in my regular day-to-day eating.

So if the OP wants to try the diet, she should. It could very well be the motivation she needs to get going. But bottom line..we exercise more and eat less which generally leads to successful weight loss.

good for you!!
  • tina01tn
    tina01tn Posts: 12
    Options

Cat fight alert

Room for one more? I'll bring the water bottles?!
    LOL....room for one more? :)