has anyone tried The 17 Day Diet? does it work?

Options

Replies

• LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I'm thinking about adding The 17 Day Diet to my Kindle to read. Is it worth it? Has anyone had success with this diet?

Diets never last. Make a lifestyle change!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to the South Beach Diet. To me these kind of diets are great at breaking old bad habits and give you great structure at the start. You have approved foods to eat from and you do see some weight loss to motivate you to keep going. You get into bad habits so going restricted for a week or two is a good way to stop it.

But you can't stay on them for a long time. You have to learn why you should eat certain things vs others and how to incorporate them into your lifestyle.

I have tried a million diets in my life. Some worked and some didn't. Some actually taught me a few things, like South Beach Diet. I found his book to be very informative. I felt the same with the Zone Diet... hated the diet but learned from the book. I sometimes read diet books just to learn the thought process behind it and maybe get one or two ideas that I can use in my life.

Eventually you will have to learn that it's all about healthy eating and exercise. I have learned that one of my problems in the past was letting my blood sugar crash. South Beach does a great job at explaining how to maintain your blood sugar. But then that's what worked for me.
  • tina01tn
    tina01tn Posts: 12
    Options
    I know what the 17 day diet is and I call it a fad soley because it's another book and diet plan designed for the author and publisher to make money on something we already know will help lose weight.

Following a strict diet plan with things removed, added, etc is a fad for those who will not stick with it.

It works for some people yes. For some it won't. For most though, if you eat healthy, clean, whole, fresh foods and lean meats you will lose weight - which is almost exactly what this diet is about (the 17 day diet seems the same as the Eat Clean diet but with a bit more restrictions.

What is a fad for one person won't be for another.

I personally just don't see the point in spending money to read about what I already know. I also don't want to spend money on a restrictive diet when I can do it on my own. That's me though.

If you need the structure and the meal plans/meal ideas written out for you than go for it. Some people need that and some don't.

People are different.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don'tcha think it is a bit rich for you to be so dismissive of it when you're 50lb overweight yourself? If you knew all the answers maybe you wouldn't need to be on here?

A lot of your posts are really negative, instead of being supportive and encouraging like most around here.

Just saying...

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Let me sit down for this one.
    Hehehe :D I know!! right?
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Just another fad I'm afraid :(

Just follow MFP and you'll have success.

It is NOT a fad. It's an excellent diet plan! It's a VERY clean eating diet. It begins low to moderate carb (still allowing 2 fruit servings a day-not cutting them out totally like Atkins does), and slowly adds carbs back in. It's basically just a healthy lifestyle diet. It gets you back to where you are eating normally and even having dessert! Some fad. *rollseyes*

It is a wonderful plan. I, however, began mine so late in the game that I've had to tweak it to adjust to my lifestyle a little better because it was hard to get my calories in on the original plan... so I "cheat" a little in accelerate and have some Atkins products and low carb protein shakes to supplement the diet. Other than that, I follow it! I've lost about four pounds this go-round, and I'm on day six. Feel free to add me!! :)
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sounds just like South Beach.

I wouldn't spend money on the book, but if you can get it from the library or download it free to a kindle go for it.

Otherwise I would simply look into the general rules/concepts of the program which I'm sure can be found somewhere on the web. None of these are a "magic formula" but many of them do have some good commonsense advice. I just wouldn't pay for it.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, and is very doable. I lost 3-4kg in the first 17 Days (before I signed up with MFP)
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I wish people would have an informed opinion before they call something a fad.

I've been doing the 17 day "diet" since February 11th and have lost 17 pounds. It's gotten me to eat much healthier and has me feeling energized. It's worth looking into. It's basically clean eating - lean proteins, lots of vegetables, limited starchy carbs.

If you do a search for the 17 day diet in the message boards, you'll find several pages of people on it.

Wait a minute! You've been on the "17" day diet since February 11th? Today is March 21! Are you doing the extended version?
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Sounds just like South Beach.

I wouldn't spend money on the book, but if you can get it from the library or download it free to a kindle go for it.

Otherwise I would simply look into the general rules/concepts of the program which I'm sure can be found somewhere on the web. None of these are a "magic formula" but many of them do have some good commonsense advice. I just wouldn't pay for it.

South Beach is a step up from Atkins I believe. It at least allows more types of food such as fruit!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It involves more than just 17 days. It teaches clean eating - the name is misleading.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

I've been doing the 17 day "diet" since February 11th and have lost 17 pounds. It's gotten me to eat much healthier and has me feeling energized. It's worth looking into. It's basically clean eating - lean proteins, lots of vegetables, limited starchy carbs.

If you do a search for the 17 day diet in the message boards, you'll find several pages of people on it.

Wait a minute! You've been on the "17" day diet since February 11th? Today is March 21! Are you doing the extended version?

You see... someone else who doesn't read things entirely and just jumps to conclusions. There are four phases--the first three are 17 days, each. the fourth cycle is maintenance. If you have more to lose after three, you go back to cycle one. You go to the fourth when you reach your goal weight.

http://www.17daydietblog.com/ <<< you can sign up here and get a really good list of the foods for each cycle.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Cat fight alert

*Making some popcorn and getting a good seat.

Room for one more? I'll bring the water bottles?!

Is the popcorn on the diet? Move over on the couch and let me in too!
  • bettysue1022
    Options
    I did it last year, followed it all the way through and lost 15 lbs total on all 3 cycles. Gained back 20 lbs as soon as I went off though:( Honestly, MFP is the best thing out there (in my opinion) because you are not restricting ANYTHING. It is simple to say, stay within your calories and exercise and you will lose weight. Easy to say, hard to do! I've been using MFP since mid December and am down 20 lbs. I'm not restricting ANYTHING. I even had Domino's pizza and a cupcake at my daughter's birthday party last weekend. What I have found is that logging in everything I eat and all the exercise I get consistantly every day makes me WANT to make better choices. I have literally tried every diet out there and I never stick with anything longer than 2 months because they are all too restrictive. MFP is great because you can have whatever you want but in moderation. The longer you stick with MFP, the less you will want the things that made you fat to begin with. Exercise and that will happen even sooner. Good luck!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

You see... someone else who doesn't read things entirely and just jumps to conclusions. There are four phases--the first three are 17 days, each. the fourth cycle is maintenance. If you have more to lose after three, you go back to cycle one. You go to the fourth when you reach your goal weight.

http://www.17daydietblog.com/ <<< you can sign up here and get a really good list of the foods for each cycle.

Yes, I do realize that the name is misleading. I just found the post vs. the title of the diet humorous. Thank you for the information, though.
  • Julieta17
    Julieta17 Posts: 37
    Options
    I know what the 17 day diet is and I call it a fad soley because it's another book and diet plan designed for the author and publisher to make money on something we already know will help lose weight.

Following a strict diet plan with things removed, added, etc is a fad for those who will not stick with it.

It works for some people yes. For some it won't. For most though, if you eat healthy, clean, whole, fresh foods and lean meats you will lose weight - which is almost exactly what this diet is about (the 17 day diet seems the same as the Eat Clean diet but with a bit more restrictions.

Is there really a diet that's not a "fad" Studies show that after people do a diet they eventually put back on the weight plus more. There are a small percentage that do make the life change and are able to keep it off. How many people do you know that have used the same diet for years upon years. I don't know any, they use the current new diet, thus a "fad" The word just has a negative connotation. At some point I believe we have all used some type material to get us through a hum.

I personally just don't see the point in spending money to read about what I already know. I also don't want to spend money on a restrictive diet when I can do it on my own. That's me though.

If you need the structure and the meal plans/meal ideas written out for you than go for it. Some people need that and some don't.

People are different.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don'tcha think it is a bit rich for you to be so dismissive of it when you're 50lb overweight yourself? If you knew all the answers maybe you wouldn't need to be on here?

A lot of your posts are really negative, instead of being supportive and encouraging like most around here.

Just saying...

And dont'cha think is is a bit rich for you to be so negative. If everyone in here was not needing to loose weight this would be an entirely different forum. To point out how much someone is overweight is very poor form.

I agree, pointing out how much someone still has to lose is very rude & uncalled for!
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share this with you.
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Please be mindful that what you might feel is a constructive post might be construed as rude/insulting by others. Lets work together to make MFP a safe place for everyone to share their thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for understanding,
    Fish
    MyFitnessPal Forum Staff
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm thinking about adding The 17 Day Diet to my Kindle to read. Is it worth it? Has anyone had success with this diet?

Yes it is worth it. Yes my family had success with it. It really shouldn't be called a diet since you are to eventually be in maintenance the rest of your life but the 1st 3 phases have restrictions to get you there. The key is to do the first 17 days eating ONLY what they tell you and the results will motivate you for the rest.

I did it last year for a New Year’s Resolution, lost 12-13 lbs in the 1st 17 days and a total of 40 lbs. Once on maintenance it has taught you clean eating and established it as a habit.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Is there really a diet that's not a "fad" Studies show that after people do a diet they eventually put back on the weight plus more. There are a small percentage that do make the life change and are able to keep it off. How many people do you know that have used the same diet for years upon years. I don't know any, they use the current new diet, thus a "fad" The word just has a negative connotation. At some point I believe we have all used some type material to get us through a hum.

People are different.

Just saying...

And dont'cha think is is a bit rich for you to be so negative. If everyone in here was not needing to loose weight this would be an entirely different forum. To point out how much someone is overweight is very poor form.

This is exactly my point though - I have had a look at the book, seems to make good sense. Most people on here are really supportive and help each other along but the poster I quoted isn't - and to be blunt, she can hardly be regarded as an expert in weight loss!!

Of course I can't be regarded as an expect in weight loss and neither can you nor can most people here. I never once said I knew all the answers I simply stated my opinion which last time I checked what was asked for.

Don't bash people for having their own opinions and stating them. Regardless of how much weight I have to lose now doesn't show what I know or how far I have come. You don't know me so don't insult me as I haven't done that to you or anyone else here.

I don't believe I have ever been rude or offensive in my previous posts as you were with your comment. In previous posts I have said my opinion, posted as part of a discussion etc. I haven't always been negative - you can't judge a persons tone via text on the screen so keep that in mind before you make comments like you did or take something in a negative way.

Making weight related comments to someone on a weight loss site is uncalled for, rude, offensive, etc etc etc. If you are solely making a post to bash someone don't even bother doing it.
  • Mandy7698
    Mandy7698 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tried it last spring and did well. I lost almost 25 through the first 3 cycles. However, it was very hard for me to go back to cycle 1. For me it is not the lifestyle for me. I have to have carbs. The best thing that I have found for me, is MFP. Seriously, keeping track on MFP and having my friends on here with me, helps me be more accountable. What I am finding is that the more I exercise the slower my weight comes off. It is quite frustrating for me and wish I could find my happy medium. 6 days out of 7 I am below my calories and most days I eat good. I am human and do not have very healthy choices sometimes, but I am still under my goal. I try not to eat my exercise calories and some days I can do it! Any ideas??? It seems when I exercise my body holds onto the water for some reason. Anyway, back to the 17 DD, it's not all bad, so give it a try!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the word "fad" is what sounded offensive, it has such a negative connotation. Most people use diet plans at one point or another, but you don't see the same diet plan being used for years upon years, thus the word "fad". Even the diets that have been around make changes. I have read the diet and it does seem to have merit for people who are needing to get a good start. The real problems come from not making a complete life change.

Exactly the meaning of why I called it a fad. Most people will not stay on it for life and in a few weeks there will be some new diet out there that people are all excited over.

Almost every diet book and plan out there can be called a fad.
  • Mandy7698
    Mandy7698 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did it last year, followed it all the way through and lost 15 lbs total on all 3 cycles. Gained back 20 lbs as soon as I went off though:( Honestly, MFP is the best thing out there (in my opinion) because you are not restricting ANYTHING. It is simple to say, stay within your calories and exercise and you will lose weight. Easy to say, hard to do! I've been using MFP since mid December and am down 20 lbs. I'm not restricting ANYTHING. I even had Domino's pizza and a cupcake at my daughter's birthday party last weekend. What I have found is that logging in everything I eat and all the exercise I get consistantly every day makes me WANT to make better choices. I have literally tried every diet out there and I never stick with anything longer than 2 months because they are all too restrictive. MFP is great because you can have whatever you want but in moderation. The longer you stick with MFP, the less you will want the things that made you fat to begin with. Exercise and that will happen even sooner. Good luck!

I too tried it last year and lost 25 but put on about 15 when I wasn't so strict! I too have found MFP to be more helpful than anything and I think it's because I am not deprived of certain foods. I have learned moderation is key. For me personally, I do better knowing that I can have a slice of pizza or whatever. Good luck!